www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old March 19th, 2019, 09:51   #1
2014 A6

Default SeaFoam

I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!
2014 A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:16   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

We use BG products here. I doubt Seafoam would harm anything, but if it would actually do anything positive is probably difficult to say. I'd stick with Power Service, Liquimoly, Lubromoly, etc. if I was not using BG. And to be honest, a prophylactic approach while certainly not a bad thing, may not ever reveal it actually did anything one way or the other. Which is always the kicker.

I know for sure BG stuff can improve things if there is something it CAN improve, if that makes any sense.
Old March 19th, 2019, 11:01   #3
2014 A6

Thanks Oilhammer. Are the BG products you use just fuel additives or a fuel system/intake service offered by mechanics where special equipment is required?

I get you on the it can improve things if there is something that can be approved.
Old March 19th, 2019, 13:50   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

There are several things we do, but for the diesels it is just something you add to the fuel tank, no special equipment. It is the 245 Premium Fuel System Cleaner.

We also do some crankcase treatment, which is a two part setup, one can goes in the engine and run for a few minutes BEFORE the oil is drained, then another one goes in AFTER the oil is refilled. While this can be used in diesels, there really is not much of a need. It is best for the DI gas engines that often tax the oil as well as known oil-burners that can help clean the piston rings.
Old March 19th, 2019, 16:18   #5
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 A6 View Post
I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!
I use Lucas Diesel Deep Clean and Stanadyne whenever the local auto parts store has a buy one get one free special, which is quite often. Can't say for sure it helps but certainly doesn't hurt and seems like some relatively cheap insurance.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:02   #6
ToBiN
Veteran Member

+1 for BG and Seafoam products

My fam has used Seafoam for years. Ive witnessed seafoam working on many gummed up injectors and fuel systems. We only use it on the fuel systems every 6 months.

In crankcase we use BG MOA for the gassers and BG DOC for the diesels. Engines are happy, they run smoother, and start easier.

I also send off a oil sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change for analysis. Many times I have had responses like "oil looks great! Your metal per mile is minimal. There is 10k miles on this sample, next time you can go for 12k before change. Plenty of viscosity and oil life left."

FWIW, I just bought a 2006 5.9L Cummins. 85k on a rebuild. That engine builder recommended a pint of 2 stroke oil in every 25 gallon tank for lubrication and healthy injectors. I am weary of even trying that in the VW because they seem to be more finicky than the ol' cummins.
ToBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:11   #7
2014 A6

This is some great information, guys. Thank you! I ordered Some BG 245. I’ll use it at every oil change and stanadyne with each fill up (if I remember...it’s the wife’s car ever since she drove it, loved it, and now won’t give it back). Seafoam in the gasser, BG in the diesel. That’s the plan.