www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old March 19th, 2019, 09:51   #1
2014 A6

Default SeaFoam

I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!
2014 A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:16   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

We use BG products here. I doubt Seafoam would harm anything, but if it would actually do anything positive is probably difficult to say. I'd stick with Power Service, Liquimoly, Lubromoly, etc. if I was not using BG. And to be honest, a prophylactic approach while certainly not a bad thing, may not ever reveal it actually did anything one way or the other. Which is always the kicker.

I know for sure BG stuff can improve things if there is something it CAN improve, if that makes any sense.
Old March 19th, 2019, 11:01   #3
2014 A6

Thanks Oilhammer. Are the BG products you use just fuel additives or a fuel system/intake service offered by mechanics where special equipment is required?

I get you on the it can improve things if there is something that can be approved.
Old March 19th, 2019, 13:50   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

There are several things we do, but for the diesels it is just something you add to the fuel tank, no special equipment. It is the 245 Premium Fuel System Cleaner.

We also do some crankcase treatment, which is a two part setup, one can goes in the engine and run for a few minutes BEFORE the oil is drained, then another one goes in AFTER the oil is refilled. While this can be used in diesels, there really is not much of a need. It is best for the DI gas engines that often tax the oil as well as known oil-burners that can help clean the piston rings.
Old March 19th, 2019, 16:18   #5
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 A6 View Post
I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!
I use Lucas Diesel Deep Clean and Stanadyne whenever the local auto parts store has a buy one get one free special, which is quite often. Can't say for sure it helps but certainly doesn't hurt and seems like some relatively cheap insurance.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:02   #6
ToBiN
Veteran Member

+1 for BG and Seafoam products

My fam has used Seafoam for years. Ive witnessed seafoam working on many gummed up injectors and fuel systems. We only use it on the fuel systems every 6 months.

In crankcase we use BG MOA for the gassers and BG DOC for the diesels. Engines are happy, they run smoother, and start easier.

I also send off a oil sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change for analysis. Many times I have had responses like "oil looks great! Your metal per mile is minimal. There is 10k miles on this sample, next time you can go for 12k before change. Plenty of viscosity and oil life left."

FWIW, I just bought a 2006 5.9L Cummins. 85k on a rebuild. That engine builder recommended a pint of 2 stroke oil in every 25 gallon tank for lubrication and healthy injectors. I am weary of even trying that in the VW because they seem to be more finicky than the ol' cummins.
ToBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:11   #7
2014 A6

This is some great information, guys. Thank you! I ordered Some BG 245. I’ll use it at every oil change and stanadyne with each fill up (if I remember...it’s the wife’s car ever since she drove it, loved it, and now won’t give it back). Seafoam in the gasser, BG in the diesel. That’s the plan.
Old August 4th, 2019, 14:22   #8
Anomious

Seafood = snake oil!
Anomious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 14:32   #9
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

With my '16 A6 that is tuned and deleted. I'm using ULSD #2 only. So I'm not getting the lubricity they say is good with biodiesel.

I started with the Stanadyne Fuel Injector cleaner which is supposed to help these common rail engines. I can say the smoke has dropped considerably to only noticeable when WOT. After that bottle every other fill up I put some Stanadyne Diesel Performance formula in. Find an ebay discount or buy in bulk to save some money. I don't feel so bad using it a little more often now.

Snake oil, who knows but my car has less smoke and i'm getting 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 22:12   #10
Anomious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
With my '16 A6 that is tuned and deleted. I'm using ULSD #2 only. So I'm not getting the lubricity they say is good with biodiesel.

I started with the Stanadyne Fuel Injector cleaner which is supposed to help these common rail engines. I can say the smoke has dropped considerably to only noticeable when WOT. After that bottle every other fill up I put some Stanadyne Diesel Performance formula in. Find an ebay discount or buy in bulk to save some money. I don't feel so bad using it a little more often now.

Snake oil, who knows but my car has less smoke and i'm getting 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.
I am using PS in the white bottle.

Seafoam never did do anything for me. I will check out Stanadyne!
Anomious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:28   #11
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A6, Q5, Golf
Fuel Economy: 32+

I use a Motul oil with BG DOC for the oil change and then 8-10oz(I don’t accurately measure, just a good eyeball) of Power Service grey bottle with every fuel fill-up.

I used the BG fuel injector cleaner when I got the car but no need to run that super often i was told.
Midwesthick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 08:07   #12
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBiN View Post
+1 for BG and Seafoam products
My fam has used Seafoam for years. Ive witnessed seafoam working on many gummed up injectors and fuel systems. We only use it on the fuel systems every 6 months.
In crankcase we use BG MOA for the gassers and BG DOC for the diesels. Engines are happy, they run smoother, and start easier.
I also send off a oil sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change for analysis. Many times I have had responses like "oil looks great! Your metal per mile is minimal. There is 10k miles on this sample, next time you can go for 12k before change. Plenty of viscosity and oil life left."
FWIW, I just bought a 2006 5.9L Cummins. 85k on a rebuild. That engine builder recommended a pint of 2 stroke oil in every 25 gallon tank for lubrication and healthy injectors. I am weary of even trying that in the VW because they seem to be more finicky than the ol' cummins.
i have tried Seafoam in the past when i owned a gasoline engine notice very little difference but not everybody has that result with seafoam it works better for some than others. i have used BG products in the past and they are above and beyond better than any off the shelf cheap additive i ever used i will be running some 244k or the newer 245k for Diesels if i can find someone that carries it. not that theres any problem with my TDI just as a maintenance thing im willing to use.
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 08:43   #13
P2B
Veteran Member

I bought a boat with an older 2-stroke outboard recently. Ran ok at speed but would not idle and would quit going into gear.

Marine mechanic suggested running seafoam through it, which killed it completely - wouldn't even start after half a tank of fuel with seafoam added.

I pulled the carbs and cleaned them with naptha and compressed air, motor runs like new now.

I assume the seafoam dislodged crud in the carbs which then moved elsewhere and made the problem worse.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 560K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 15:48   #14
ToBiN
Veteran Member

so its been a while, but my 5.9 Cummins started throwing a glowplug light and 10 chimes. Then everytime I start the engine the light returns and it chimes 3 times. After looking up this error, I see many have replaced their injectors. Something to do with the return on the CR, the computer thinks there is a bad injector or 2, so in their infinite wisdom, Dodge added this error to keep the cummins from melting down like other diesels.

While searching for my truck I looked at an 06 with 299k miles on it. Only had the CP3 replaced once. Owner had been running seafoam religiously for the life of the truck every 3 months. Never had an injector issue, not one.

So after discovering this new injector error on my 06, I started putting in a bottle of seafoam for every tank. In about 5k miles, a new fuel filter, and running the Seafoam, my injector error is gone. Injectors are clean and truck is running a lot better.

BG makes a great product. Seafoam is also a great product.

You can check some of these tests out. This guy does a great job of comparing the chemicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXiQgVVnDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ
ToBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 17:59   #15
AndreiMTM

TDI(s): 2014 A6 TDI

I donít think that the stanadyne fuel performance additive is snake oil. I had a very strange sputtering issue on my 14 A6 TDI when cold. The car would sputter almost as if it wasnít getting enough fuel when at low RPM randomly. It wasnít the fuel filter as it was doing it even when coasting. Using stanadyne every fillup, the sputtering is almost completely gone. I very rarely feel it, maybe once a week. I would highly recommend using it. Iím not sure what the issue was but the fuel additive took care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndreiMTM is offline   Reply With Quote