A/C condensation issue

Spsosicmcise

TDI
1997 Jetta 5spd
Where does the a/c condensation that builds up drain from? Wherever it is must be clogged. Recently mine has been draining directly into my passenger side floor plan. No it isn’t coolant the heater core is fine. When I take a right turn after the a/c has been running for a bit it sounds like a waterfall in my dash.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a little U-shaped flap on the firewall insulation, pull it up and clean out the drain.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
If you stick your head under the dash on the passenger side, you'll see where the drain goes through the firewall toward the center of the car (above a passenger's left foot). It's the lowest part of the heater box. You'll probably have to get under the car to see it from the outside as the turbo and boost piping are in the way when trying to see it from above.

Spsosicmcise

TDI
1997 Jetta 5spd
I can see it, just not enough space to do anything from the top. Plus with the storm passing through it’s raining, looks like it will have to wait till this afternoon. I appreciate all the help.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
a tip, pull the flap up and put a shop vac up to it and suck it all out, THEN remove the filter or the grille to the intakefan under the hood and while its running, spray EVAP HVAC coil cleaner in there and spray as much as you can into that flap, turn it off, let it sit for 20 minutes and attack it with the shop vac. now BLAST the heat for a good 5 - 10 minutes to dry it out. should me MINT. Worked for me!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If there’s a way to get the cleaner past the squirrel cage, I’d go that route.. be sure to use a “no rinse” coil cleaner. I’d be wary of getting that cleaner into the blower motor.

Shoot some disinfectant in there, if possible. Evap pans can be gross.

-Todd

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Be careful doing that... soaking the blend doors with cleaner is a good way to make the foam degrade faster.

I'd suggest removing the cabin fan and spraying cleaner on the evaporator that way.

-J

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That would definitely be the best way, but if a tube can snake it’s way past the squirrel cage, I’d take the easy route.

The last time my pan/tray was clogged, it was clogged with foam remnants.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Be careful doing that... soaking the blend doors with cleaner is a good way to make the foam degrade faster.

I'd suggest removing the cabin fan and spraying cleaner on the evaporator that way.

-J
implying there is any left.