Check engine light

Sixandout

TDI
2015 Passat sel
2 months ago I purchased a 2015 buyback from a dealer. This is my first tdi and when i was driving i noticed the CEL. The car drives like normal as far as I can tell but the light is in solid and I get to visit the dealership tomorrow. The dealer is saying they are going to charge 50 bucks just to look at the car, I'm sad.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Here’s the thing.....

If it is an item that is covered under the extended “dieselgate” warranty, you will not need to pay anything.

If it is outside of the extended warranty, then most likely what they are referring to is the $50 deductible that applies to all CPO (Certified PreOwned) vehicles.

But they have to get your approval for the deductible or a diagnosis fee before they can look at it.

Otherwise you could say “Well, I was never told I would have to pay to get a diagnosis”

People try that crap all the time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
One thing you can do as a VW owner is buy a scan tool to read the code that's on the ECU/BCM that's causing the CEL, with that code you can then find out if its covered under the emissions warranty or not and be informed before going to the dealer for potential warranty work. Pepboys or many other autoparts stores have free generic scan tools that will allow you to read the codes for free, usually they work good enough to get you close enough.

If you're buying something, most common scan tools is VCDS or ODBeleven, both are VW specific.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I bought a gadget called a VAG401 off amazon for $45 that seems to read meaningful (VAG-specific) codes. Seems like a good deal compared to $50 for a single read.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Look no further than the Ross Tech VAG-COM using VCDS. It's a scanner, and so much more. It WILL pay for itself if you plan on doing your own work or diagnostics.

Sixandout

TDI
2015 Passat sel
update to CEL

So the VW service department called and said the cause of the check engine light was the exhaust gas recirc valve. When the cel came in I wasn't able to tell if the car was driving any different. In fact as I was driving to the dealer the cel cleared so I was tempted to turn around and just go home but the wife said to drop it off anyways. So it will take 2 days to get the part in and with labor day etc I should get the car back today.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Exhaust circ valve is usually one that won't cure it self in the long run, it'll pop back up and agreed you could drive a few 1,000 of miles with out issues, but it may hinder the regens and warm up times.

How many miles on the car?

Sixandout

TDI
2015 Passat sel
got the car back

just past 30000 now, car is driving fine after they completed the repairs