Towing with 2015 Golf TDI 2.0 sportwagen

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have old thule J bars that can be clamped to thule aeroblades. The benefit of the roof rails is that I can place the cross bars very wide, near the front and rear so no bow or stern straps are needed, granted we only have a 10" and 12" kayak.

To be honest seeing these kayaks are run of the mill boats, the most secure I've got them was with just clam shelling them, fist one upside down ratchet strapped down, second one angled to the fist and strapped down, looks ghetto, but is rock solid once fully ratcheted down.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a hitch bike rack but never ended up using it and eventually sold it at a garage sale. My wife and I have road bikes, though, that cost more than the car carrying them so I didn't really want a $20K dollar bumper :)

I used bike trays on the roof for a few years but was never really happy with how they felt (and couldn't put anything else up there). Eventually I got one of these, which is both faster, easier, and more versatile than a hitch mount:
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Deluxe-2-Bike-Trunk/dp/B00ASSQYK4

It's a little higher off the bumper so gives slightly more protection than a hitch mount. Would probably not save the bikes from an SUV or might not even be a big deal depending on the bikes being transported. But that's turned out to be a great low cost, easily storable carrier.
I've had more issues with those type of racks that a hitch mount. My biggest grip is that I can't see out the back clearly enough when the bikes are on the rack. My Yakima hitch rack does drag a little when on the JSW. I like to put them in the car too but two of them stuffed in the back can still lead to paint damage. Also a little trickier to stack them when we both take our flat bar road bikes.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's funny that I have a roof rack on the Beetle but carried my LOOK safely tucked away inside the trailer.

We are looking at a 14 foot tandem kayak as well so I will need a good way to carry that around. Anyone carrying a kayak?
I use these with my roof rack and kayak trailer. https://www.yakima.com/bigstack

I strap the kayaks (11 and 13' Ocean kayaks) towards each other. I tie down the bow and stern if I'm going over 30 miles. On the kayak trailer, I'll mount the bikes on the outside of the kayaks.

With your beetle having such a short roofline, it might be better to mount the kayak on top of the trailer.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I would like to know if anyone keep track of their DSG temperature and if I should worry about mine.

This is at 21celcius outdoor temp, not towing.

This is at 31celcius outdoor temp, towing maybe 2000lbs travel trailer and stuff combined @100kmh 5th gear

Thanks.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't be to worried, the DSG is "cooled" (or heated depending) on how you look at it via a coolant loop. The coolant also runs through the engine oil cooler.

What you should be looking at is comparing DSG temp to coolant temps and oil temps, they should all be pretty close. Oil under regen should climb to 220F/104C. I've seen oil temp high as 230-235 on my TSI under heavy acceleration, I'd be guessing the DSG temps would climb to that if I kept romping on it.

The DSG has pretty much zero wear (thus heat generation) except for starting off from a stop as it slips the clutches, shifting and under load heat isn't really being generated.

I will say I think the Golf R has an external oil radiator (not tied into a coolant loop) thats in the fog lamp area. If you want you should be able to source Golf R (or estate) parts and could add additional coolant.

Also where'd you get the bosal tesla adapter, and how much?

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I wouldn't be to worried, the DSG is "cooled" (or heated depending) on how you look at it via a coolant loop. The coolant also runs through the engine oil cooler.

What you should be looking at is comparing DSG temp to coolant temps and oil temps, they should all be pretty close. Oil under regen should climb to 220F/104C. I've seen oil temp high as 230-235 on my TSI under heavy acceleration, I'd be guessing the DSG temps would climb to that if I kept romping on it.

The DSG has pretty much zero wear (thus heat generation) except for starting off from a stop as it slips the clutches, shifting and under load heat isn't really being generated.

I will say I think the Golf R has an external oil radiator (not tied into a coolant loop) thats in the fog lamp area. If you want you should be able to source Golf R (or estate) parts and could add additional coolant.

Also where'd you get the bosal tesla adapter, and how much?
From what I've read from other thread,the no.1 reason people suspect VW from banning towing with DSG TDI is the transmission overheating.

That's why I try to monitor everything to see if there's really an issue and also not harm my beloved wagon while doing so.

From what I've find out on the interwebs, 135celcius seem to be the maximum temperature the transmission will tolerate before warning light and decreased torque.

All my towing where less than 50kms (30miles) and my recorded data seem normal:
@31c
Max oil temp: 116c
Max centrifugal clutch temp:108c
Max transmission fluid temp:109c

All these are well under limit.

Even if I'm still a little bit stressed when I tow with my do-not-tow TDI DSG GSW, I'm starting to look more at the road than the gauge and temperature graph and enjoying the ride...

I'm starting to wonder if there is any reason at all.

I mean yeah, I wouldn't try to tow that 2k lbs camper @80mph. But if kept @60mph and under and driven accordingly, I can't find any problems so far.

In 1month, I'm going to Sandbanks Ontario, 500km away.
I'll be monitoring everything again, even with my friend calling me a nerd. Eh.

That will be the ultimate test, my camper will probably be at his heaviest. I'll try to drive it on the scale.
I also ordered airlift bags.
I'll update you guys if anything happens.

...I'll update you also if nothing happen. Eheh

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you code the ECU/BMC for towing? Supposedly this will run the fans more aggressively if its coded correctly and the wiring triggers the ECU/BMC is in tow mode. Lower coolant will lower the DSG temps slightly.

Big place that heat will climb is slipping of the clutch, I'd almost be more worried about stop and go traffic (specially on a hill) than constant highway speeds.

Granted I don't know anyone who would be aggressively driving with a trailer in stop and go driving and not just idle along at 1300rpms in 1st with the big rigs, letting the baffoons merge in and out.

You still didn't tell me where you scored that bosal hitch adapter ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep in mind that these same cars with similar engines are rated to tow 1500 kg in Europe with proper hitch, brakes, and training. It's just this side of the pond where we've have become so litigious that everyone is afraid of over stepping the recommended use.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The B7 and B8 passat TDIs with DSG are rated to tow 2000 kg, not sure if they are 6 spd or newer 7spd DSG units though.

Also speeds are dramatically limited for towing those speeds, 60mph max?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was referring to the MKV+, MKVI, and MKVII, which is what the OP was asking about. I don't believe there was any difference for the manual versus the dsg for those cars. Not sure about the speed limit but it was a small car pulling a small sailboat like a bat out of h*** that I saw getting pulled over on the Autobahn in Germany many years back. They used three or four squads to "ease" him to the exit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh I know, I was just adding to the crazy tow ratings of of Europe with what I believe is the same DSG transmission.

A 4000lb Passat Alltrack towing 4400lbs would just be mad in the states.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Did you code the ECU/BMC for towing? Supposedly this will run the fans more aggressively if its coded correctly and the wiring triggers the ECU/BMC is in tow mode. Lower coolant will lower the DSG temps slightly.

Big place that heat will climb is slipping of the clutch, I'd almost be more worried about stop and go traffic (specially on a hill) than constant highway speeds.

Granted I don't know anyone who would be aggressively driving with a trailer in stop and go driving and not just idle along at 1300rpms in 1st with the big rigs, letting the baffoons merge in and out.

You still didn't tell me where you scored that bosal hitch adapter ;)
I got it at Tesla dealer. The thing is, I don't know if it's really made to be universal fit.

The goose neck that come with the hitch click right in but the tesla/Bosal one need to be smack to lock in.

I don't know if I would be safe driving around with it. That's why I wanted to do further testing before recommending it

I'll do a video to show you.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What did that set you back? You just show up and toss them a part number and they order it?

Thanks, I'm guessing as long as it locks it good to go. I just installed a westfaila hitch on our Alltrack (engagement/locking of the tow ball is very smooth and reassuring), it'd be nice to have the option for a 2" standard adapter.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
What did that set you back? You just show up and toss them a part number and they order it?

Thanks, I'm guessing as long as it locks it good to go. I just installed a westfaila hitch on our Alltrack (engagement/locking of the tow ball is very smooth and reassuring), it'd be nice to have the option for a 2" standard adapter.
Asked for a model X hitch adapter

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$50-$100? or the $500 people have been asking for on ebay?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nice, i need to call the local dealer to see if they are as kind selling the part. Did they ask for a VIN or anything?

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
nice, i need to call the local dealer to see if they are as kind selling the part. Did they ask for a VIN or anything?
Yep, I used a friend Tesla VIN. Said I lost his hitch adapter when I used his car. Paid with my credit card and picked it up same day.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, I used a friend Tesla VIN. Said I lost his hitch adapter when I used his car. Paid with my credit card and picked it up same day.
Aww crap I gotta get better friends!

Any chance you would be willing to order another? I'd be willing to toss you 150-170 CAD.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Keep in mind that these same cars with similar engines are rated to tow 1500 kg in Europe with proper hitch, brakes, and training. It's just this side of the pond where we've have become so litigious that everyone is afraid of over stepping the recommended use.
Speaking of, what do you folk's insurance companies have to say about towing over the recommended limit? I once inquired about my 02 Golf (stated tow limit is 1,000 lbs) and they strongly recommended not exceeding that value i.e. you may well not be covered if you cause an accident.

I did not buy a travel trailer because of that - the one I wanted weighed about 1,200 lbs dry and that was about the lightest one could buy at the time (other than a "bed in a box").

I also seem to recall instances of people getting pulled off the road at BC check-stops (in mountain locations) for towing over.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Having logged many hours in BC mountains, I can say that this has never happened to me. Being pulled over that is.

We have crossed the border over a dozen times as well and logged many hours on the US highways. Nothing other than the looks of amazement come our way.

I think this comes down to common sense and not exceeding what appears to be manageable abilities of the rig. Avoid those 1 1/4” hitches that have a low capacity. These might set off a red flag!

When we insured our trailer, there was no questions asked about how it was going to be used. We thought that was strange because we were expecting the third degree. The fact that our trailer has brakes makes the discussion very simple. The motor vehicle inspectors are looking for trailers over 1,400 kgs without brakes however ours is 900 kgs with brakes. There is no need to register the weight class or capacity of the car when dealing with these light trailers.

We took the concept of stopping one step further and put big brakes on the car. We wanted to be able to stop before moving on to the power which is also just as important. Then we added power to move the rig up our hills in BC. We also wanted to make sure that the rig would work well in heavy traffic.

Then we looked at the structure and made sure that we had a hitch that was strong enough to keep the trailer attached to the car. We made sure that the wheels, and tires and suspension were capable of handling the extra load.

I know this is a thread about 2015 wagons but the same principles apply.

Keep in mind that the 2001 Toyota Corolla has a published tow capacity of 1,500 lbs. and it is one third the car compared with to our TDI’s. VW just couldn’t figure it out in time for printing the manuals. At least that what my manual says.

Our next trip will be 1,000 kms from BC to Wash and back. I am looking forward to it :)

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Aww crap I gotta get better friends!

Any chance you would be willing to order another? I'd be willing to toss you 150-170 CAD.
They seem to have trouble to keep those in stock, I bought the last one.
From what i have seen, you can give them any tesla serial number and it would work.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ill see what I can do with a random VIN, thanks for the advice.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Installed the airlift kit today, no need to remove the spring, some electric wiring lube and some swear and it was in!
https://youtu.be/_XyW-mNnyNk

So now I have a GSW W/ Tow package... They should sell it like that.

Hitched it with camper, but didn't have the time to drive it around. It lifed the rear a good inch. Perfect.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited: