Tune&full exhaust, will it be reliable?

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Been kicking around the idea of getting a tune/s and full exhaust for my 2012 Passat w/ auto trans. But my concerns are reliability after it's been installed. It seems like every vehicle I've owned and installed tunes, exhaust and etc. they've became unreliable and it started snowball into more and more problems. Looking for input from people that have gone down this road before. TIA.

jordanhall

TDI
Mk6 Golf Wagon TDI
I don't think you'll find many people that have had any issues with Malone tunes on this forum. I've personally put over 100000kms on my stage 2 w/dpf delete, and I've never had an issue. I'm a sales rep that covers all of Western Canada, driving an average of 70000kms per year... So reliability was paramount when I was looking into tunes. I started with an APR stage 1, and then quickly stepped up to the Malone stage 2. Not only will your mileage increase dramatically, but it's so much more fun to drive.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
I've had my car modded since 900 miles. I'm at about 62k right now... Only issues I've had were self inflicted issues with other mods. As long as you have no emissions inspection to worry about, you will have zero regrets with the decision

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
There are only a hand full of TDI tuners out there that are any good. I have test driving all of them. I have settled on witch one I like the best.

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
You will be making your car more reliable by doing this. I don't believe many tuners offer the tune you are looking for either.

nullsignature

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/ Nav
I think the reliability increase only comes if you remove the restrictive factory exhaust equipment (EGR + DPF). If you do a tune without that then I imagine it will actually decrease reliability.

BuzzKen

TDI
I think the reliability increase only comes if you remove the restrictive factory exhaust equipment (EGR + DPF). If you do a tune without that then I imagine it will actually decrease reliability.

From my experience, quite the opposite.

jordanhall

TDI
Mk6 Golf Wagon TDI
I agree with Ken on that one... Malone's tunes increase the efficiency of the regen cycles, and prolong the life of your emissions control systems. Either way, with or without a delete, you're getting a much more drive able and very reliable car.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Ok I think I'll go ahead do it but now which exhaust system should I go with? I want it just as quiet as stock thou. For the tune I'm pretty set on Malone tunes

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I agree with Ken on that one... Malone's tunes increase the efficiency of the regen cycles, and prolong the life of your emissions control systems. Either way, with or without a delete, you're getting a much more drive able and very reliable car.
Where do,s Malone say they make regens more efficient??

BuzzKen

TDI
Maybe slightly misworded.

I see FAR FAR less issues on cars that are driven hard, and the tuned cars as well usually get driven harder. This keeps the dpf cleaner from you doing it passively as opposed to the car having to regen to clean it's sphincter.

And to open another can of worms, keep adding fuel additives to the CR's, it keeps the 02 and NOX sensor companies in business!

jordanhall

TDI
Mk6 Golf Wagon TDI

Apologies on my wording.. Spine surgery and a whole bunch of morphine have left me a little foggy.

After re-reading my post, i'll retract that statement. But, the dynamic egr tune does help keep the intake cleaner!

At the end of the day, a stage 2 w/deletes does make the regens more efficient...because there are none :D