Front Pass side floor wet

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Brand new car, 3 weeks old. I just got the monster mats and as I was installing them I realize the front pass side floor is wet. Damp smell too.

I don't drive this car so I don't know if they spilt water or what. No one will admit to anything of course. But I checked the sunroof drains, they are not clogged at all. I checked the door seal seems to be tight, not sure what to do now other than vaccum and towel dry wait for next rain.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Look around your front windshield. Any cracks? On the inside, do you see any stains at the corners?

Did you check the passen's door for the drains? Does it slush when you close it? These probably weren't the problem. Passenger side also may mean the ac condenser drain is plugged if it has been used substantially during the few days it's been on the road. How's the weather been since the purchase?

(congrats and envy on the purchase)

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Jeez Arthur, you're not having good luck lately
. Also check the cabin air filter housing/cover for proper fitment/ any cracks. This will also let water in if leaking.

Good luck!
Gus

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Tell me about it. My dad had said don't buy VW's and I have to prove him wrong.

I've checked sunrrof drains, cabin filter and reached around behind it, all seems dry. Yet it seems a damp smell comes when turn on the fan.

I have noticed the a/c water drips under the car from time to time, but I don't drive the car so I don't know if they just spilt a pile of water in there.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I had a similar problem in my '01 Jetta. Except it was the drivers side floor.

I vacuumed it out thoroughly with my wet vac and then turned on the AC with the air on recirculate and that seems to dry it out well and got rid of any musty smell I had.

I have yet to figure out what the cause was, but I know that my Monster Mats seem to hold any moisture in rather than letting it dissipate like the standard mats do.

Now I just check it every once in awhile to see if its wet again.

Keli

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Arthur, open the hood and check the drains at each corner, beneath the windshield. I'm talking about behind the hood hinges. Leaves and junk collects in there, and it doesn't take much to clog it up.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
I'm looking exactly where you told me to but I don't see any obvious drains. There is no leaves or garbage though, the car is only 3 weeks old!

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Mine did this too.

There is a rubber nipple that sticks out at both front doors...in the jamb area between the upper and lower hinges. It's about an inch and a half long, and the ends are flattened out. These nipples are notorious for clogging. The waxy stuff that VW applies to the cars for shipping gets in the flattened ends of them, then the car warms up a bit and softens the wax, then the wax seals them shut. Next time it rains, or you wash the car, water builds up in your floorboards instead of being redirected through these drains.

Use your fingers to "pop" the flattened ends open...both of mine gushed water out when I did this, and it had been several days since the last rain. Hopefully, this'll help you. If not, it only takes about 30 seconds to do...I do mine each time I wash the car.

Keith

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Okay its definately coming from the a/c. It hasn't rained here in days and the passenger side floor is wet again especially the rear most part of the floor near the seat. Feeling around underneath the car it is definately dripping where its supposed to , but its also dripping further back and its wet along the bottom of the car around that centre brace where the catalytic is sitting.

Gonna do some taking apart now.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
I suppose that could be a good thing, some of the shared dna?

But the Scirocco was built by Karmann I think. This car was built in Mexico. Well then again my exploding Passat was built in Germany. And you wonder why people give VW poor on the customer feedback surveys.

monkeyworx

TDI
Jetta, 1999
my car did this as well without any rain, it was dry and it only happened after I shut the AC off. Theory: AC made ducts, floor and mat cold, (ran all day) turned the AC off because it got dark and temp went down but the outside air was still warmer than AC air (RH up if dewpoint stayed the same - more humid) the cool floor, mats and the ducts cause moisture to condense from the humid outside air that is warmer... maybe
I work with AC in buildings and this seemed to make a lot of sense, the floor was pretty damp, not soaking though. I've also seen car AC units that when operated on high fan w/o recirc blow the condensed water right off the coil, maybe try recirc or lower fan speed.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
monkey I appreciate your suggestion, I really do, but its hopeless at best. I have the identical car and mine is bone dry all the time, irregardless of when I shut the a/c off. There is a puddle of water man, slush slush, its not condensation.

monkeyworx

TDI
Jetta, 1999
Yeah, sounds like it's a long shot, I didn't know it was that wet. I'm sure you'll figure it out... I know, new car and all, it's about as discouraging as the new fast ferry

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You've got to have a plugged drain or a loose fitting on the AC.

Take it to the dealer - you are under warrentee if I'm not mistaken. This shouldn't be much different than a gasser, so they should have someone who knows how the AC works. Hopefully even know how to fix it.

If you really want to look around, do so. Unfortunately, I don't have any references to help you find the lines. If I didn't have the warrentee, I'd get under the passenger's dashboard (probably when the passenger isn't there) and try to follow the water after the ac's been used for a while. You may find something that just isn't attached, or has a split in it.

If you're sure it's just plain water, and it hasn't been raining, it's got to be the ac or a jealous neighbor pouring water into your car.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Appt is for Wednesday but I might try to take it in tomorrow. Slush, slush, may as well wear swimming trunks before I get in the car.