Etest tdi swap in ontario please help

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
For future reference, this is how its done.

Do not tell anyone from the MTO a long story about how great and handy you are at swapping engines or your nobility in preserving emissions equipment. Don't even ask them questions. Tell the drones at the service Ontario office that you need the fuel type switched, nothing else.

Give them minimal information and you will have minimal problems.

Dimitry has initiated a process that he is unlikely to get out of. Once you upset the MTO it is like being fed into a wood chipper. You are not getting out, it is a fully automatic machine. Let that be a lesson for the rest of us.
This only works if the swapped vehicle is a vw with a diesel option in Canada. A more involved swap to a non stock vehicle will require the fuel change form.

Dimitry

TDI
2005 Golf BEW
i got one repair drive clean facility to try before i give up on it and if no go, i just sell it as is for some who would be interested making an adapter AHU to ALH EDC15 and putting 2001 ALH ECU and that should be a no problem etest pass or just part it out as i need my garage space back :)

btw here is the idea for an adapter :

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
why not just switch the pump connector (mkiv headlight connector) and use the 121pin engine harness and tie in the few leftover wires you'll have?... would be easier than manufacturing an adapter

curtis75

TDI
none, yet
I actually was looking in to this some more on my swap. Basically the story I got was that vehicles 1997 and older could apply for a fuel conversion and vehicles over 3857kg GVWR could also apply. I argued that this didn't make much sense being that I could swap a V8 gas engine in and still be ok (as long as I kept the emissions equipment) but an I4 diesel wouldn't be. At that point they said if I wanted to argue the law I would need to get legal assistance. Apparently the test will "recognize a previously supported monitor is no longer available"

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo

Do not tell anyone from the MTO a long story about how great and handy you are at swapping engines or your nobility in preserving emissions equipment. Don't even ask them questions. Tell the drones at the service Ontario office that you need the fuel type switched, nothing else.

Dimitry has initiated a process that he is unlikely to get out of. Once you upset the MTO it is like being fed into a wood chipper. You are not getting out, it is a fully automatic machine. Let that be a lesson for the rest of us.

This is how its done works for me and for the record my 2nd most recent swap was a 2008 audi a4 2.0t which i put a 2004 bhw in 4 years older and the b7 platform was never even offerd in north America as a diesel so as far the ministry is concerned that car should never have a diesel under any circumstances unlesss.......... passed first try :)

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
This is how its done works for me and for the record my 2nd most recent swap was a 2008 audi a4 2.0t which i put a 2004 bhw in 4 years older and the b7 platform was never even offerd in north America as a diesel so as far the ministry is concerned that car should never have a diesel under any circumstances unlesss.......... passed first try :)
My W8 swap is 2003 with an engine never offered here. No B5 Passat TDIs in 2003 either and no problems, just changed the fuel type from G to D upon registration.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins

Very true about the drones,My 97 ram was changed by the previous owner from diesel to gas for some reason on the ownership.The truck was actually a factory diesel truck/vin.I was able to both change it back to diesel and the colour of the truck without any proof required.

Also my 99.5 jetta just passed another e-test today with zero monitors ready or complete.My car passed with a mechanical TDI pump on and a seriously dummed down ECU that doesn't know any better. I left the vp pump controller plugged in and tie wrapped it to an injection line to keep any DTC(s) from being set.Both of the vnt turbo's are still ECU controlled :rolleyes:.

Dimitry

TDI
2005 Golf BEW
i just did a big newbie mistake going to etest with not all monitors ready and plus i had injection timing out of scope so i got MIL by the end of the test i should off fixed everything before going to etest

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
did ya get it retested Dimitry?

I keep thinking of doing a VM motori swap in my Dakota, but not sure if it warrants the effort if i can't get it to pass etest

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
as long as the engine is newer or same year as the chassis.. you will not have this issue... obd scanners read build date of the ecu... so same year or newer.. no problem.. its just putting older int newer does not work as computers smarter then us...

did ya get it retested Dimitry?

I keep thinking of doing a VM motori swap in my Dakota, but not sure if it warrants the effort if i can't get it to pass etest

Dimitry

TDI
2005 Golf BEW
as long as the engine is newer or same year as the chassis.. you will not have this issue... obd scanners read build date of the ecu... so same year or newer.. no problem.. its just putting older int newer does not work as computers smarter then us...

not true drive clean using generic obd scanner which tell no information about ecu otherwise i would see it either with vag com or generic reader thus i talked to software coders and they confirmed there is none year of manufacture stored in AHU ECU maybe in a never ones like ALH or BEW but not in this one for sure

Dimitry

TDI
2005 Golf BEW
its official etest passed and now its listed as 1.9 TDI in drive clean database all monitors have been changed and from now on it will be etested as a diesel car so it took me a bit to go through this process with a big help of one drive clean repair facility but is now legally a 2001 cabrio tdi with 1999 jetta AHU 1.9 TDI engine

chrispare

TDI
golf
good to see you got it sorted out,

so I am in the process of swaping a 2000 1.9tdi into my 2000 gmc s10 , all the tdi equipment is being used and will be working.
Being that they are both obd and i make sure that all monitors are passed, can anyone for see any problems i am going to have?