fuel filter bottom leaking

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
Just changed the fuel filter and it is leaking very slowly from the bottom. I made sure the knob was tightened when removing from the box.

A couple of years ago I bought several filters in bulk and do not have receipt anymore. Any strategies on getting a replacement of the leaking filter? I think taking the filter to the store and asking for a replacement is about all I can do.

tim

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Did the plastic plug on the bottom break when you tightened it? Can you salvage the one off the old filter or do you have another new one in stock? Was it missing the seal?

Or did you just spill a little fuel while disconnecting/connecting fuel lines and it is just giving the appearance of leaking?

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
I really didn't tighten it; just ensuring it was tight. Good idea on transferring plastic plugs I will do this tomorrow. This happened to be my last fuel filter. I had planned on getting more tomorrow however I like your idea. That way I can still use the filter. Thanks.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Those white plastic thumb screws can break off very easily and one reason why I never mess with them, except to ensure they are very tight when a new Fuel Filter is installed.

For the above reason, I carry extras of the following:

* Fuel Filter
* "T" fitting
* O-rings, blue and black
* Metal Clip
* Plastic Thumb Screw
* Diesel 9.1.1

See also Emergency Preparedness Tips During Cold Temps.