Malone stage 2, Clutch Upgrade?

apeck618

TDI
2012 golf 2dr TDI, 6speed
I just recently installed the Malone stage 2 on my 2012 golf tdi with the manual trans.

Noticed in 4-6th around 1800-2000 rpm, if you try to accelerate to hard, i get a shudder. Anyone have a south bend clutch on your TDI? If so give me your thoughts on them.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Same scenario happened to me about two months ago. It was still drivable if I was very easy on the throttle. A few weeks later the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed. I will be ordering a high performance clutch in the next month for my car. Owen at Malone tuning recommended this clutch. It looks to be the best value of any that I have seen.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...el-with-sachs-sre-performance-clutch-kit.html

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
That shudder is the duel mass flywheel not the clutch. The stock clutch has a greater clamping force than the torque the stage 2 produces.

Don't use max throttle in that rpm range and you will be fine.

Pitboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2 Door
Just downshift a gear or two. I wouldn't swap out the clutch unless you are dying to spend more money.

At some point you will have the clutch cylinder/actuator leak on it. Replace it then if you want. I too, had thought about swapping it out, but opted to just go back with stock. Works great and saved money.

FYI, my car is heavily modified.

Last edited:

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
That shudder is the duel mass flywheel not the clutch. The stock clutch has a greater clamping force than the torque the stage 2 produces.

Don't use max throttle in that rpm range and you will be fine.
My clutch was definitely slipping. RPM would increase 500-600 with no corresponding increase in acceleration.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I am curious to know how much work does it take to change a dual mass flywheel? Does the engine and/or transmission have to come out?

I doubt if it would be worth it on a base model 2014 but about the tune, what does it cost, what's involved in having it done and how are performance and fuel economy affected? Thanks.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
I am curious to know how much work does it take to change a dual mass flywheel? Does the engine and/or transmission have to come out?

I doubt if it would be worth it on a base model 2014 but about the tune, what does it cost, what's involved in having it done and how are performance and fuel economy affected? Thanks.
Transmission has to come out to change the clutch, and or the dual mass flywheel. Not too difficult if you are mechanically inclined.

The tune I have is the stage 2 emissions intact tune. Driveability and power are night and day better. Fuel mileage is maybe 1-2 MPG better IF you keep your foot out of the throttle and drive normally.