Bilstein B4 for JSW - comfort or sport?

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Installed a set of B4's listed for "wagon" off RA - part no. 22139191 and 19139333 along with lower control arms, stock springs, etc. Though they've loosened up a bit over the last few weeks and 1000 miles, the ride is still very stiff even with 16" wheels and stock springs. Since this car is my daily driver for a 100 mile commute, it's now uncomfortable (but handles amazing). These aren't my first B4's, but those did not have as much overdampening as this set.

I found a write-up that uses B4 for "sedan" 22131614 and 19127439 on the JSW, so I know they fit. Cross referencing FCP euro, they list these for 'comfort' and sedan only and the 22139191 and 19139333 for 'sport' and sedan only.

Bilstein is useless (no idea of the cross-reference, etc.)... So basically I've pieced together that the jetta sedan and wagon use the same struts/shocks (no surprise there) and that the wagon fitment is also the sport version for the sedan.

Or am I wrong? Can I expect my "wagon" B4 struts to loosen up some more or do I need to get the sedan 'comfort' ones? or go back to the OE Sachs???

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I always wanted Bilstein Heavy Duty (HD) shocks for my 2010 Golf TDI after having a great experience with my previous car, but this car is smaller and lighter and I read some reports the HD version might be too firm for my car. When one of my OEM shocks started leaking at about 135K miles, I ended up getting the less expensive Bilstein Touring shocks. They're advertised as being only slightly firmer than stock. I think they say about 10% more firm compared to stock shocks. I think that's also what they say about the "comforts", but they cost more than the "touring" version

I like the Bilstein touring shocks very much. To me the ride feels a bit more firm and controlled, but not too stiff. One day a while later I went to a local Porsche speed shop to get a high-end spin balance for my new tires. After the owner/mechanic test drove my car, he commented about how fresh my old suspension felt at ~150K miles! It really does feel good, even now at 180K miles. After my experience in the Golf, I'd certainly recommend the inexpensive Touring version of the Bilstein shocks. Maybe the comforts would be about the same.

I don't think your current shocks will loosen up, although you may adapt to the firmness and not be bothered as much. One thing that helped me in the past, and I still prefer it to this day, is running my tires a bit softer. I like firm shocks with a softer tire, e.g., about 32 psi. The tires may not respond as quickly, but they're more comfortable for a daily driver. I have 17 inch wheels and run slightly taller and wider 235/45/17 tires at 32 psi. Since you only have 16 inch wheels, I suspect you can get a nice cushion with a softer tire.

PS: It looks like B4 might be the same thing I have. I think you should try softer tires. From Tirerack: "Bilstein Touring Class - Valved about 10% firmer than stock, B4 OE Replacement Strut feature the same German engineering and quality as Bilstein's monotube gas pressure shocks" It also looks like the maybe they changed things ay Bilstein. Back in the day, I think only the B8 was yellow and called sport and the B6 was black and called HD. Now the B6 and B8 are both yellow.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dampers behave differently on different cars based on suspension design, weight, etc. Aftermarket damper rates are a compromise: companies don't want to make multiple variations for one platform, so they create valving and rates based on what they think will work adequately for all cars that take the same damper. For example, I had Koni FSDs (now Special Actives) on my '02 wagon and loved them, but put the same damper on my '12 Golf and hated them. Ride was way too firm. Suspension design and the 17" wheels probably was part of it, but my 2-door Golf was also the lightest car with that platform, where your Sportwagen is the heaviest. You get the same damper for both.

Regardless, I agree with ksing44, they're not going to soften up much. I personally have never been a fan of Bilsteins on VWs. I think the suspension on these cars isn't sophisticated enough to accommodate Bilstein's damping strategies. I prefer Koni or OE Sachs.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I installed a set of b4 struts on my previous wagon, a 2005 Volvo t5 m66 awd and they were darn near perfect. I noted that they took a few months to loosen up (or maybe it was the rest of the new suspension) but that over time (20-30k) the b4 felt very akin to the stock dampeners. I never noticed an overly harsh ride even with low profile tires.

Contrast to this vehicle (now), and in particular the rear end, the car shimmies when it hits small imperfections on the hwy and jossles me around... I imagine it’s akin to driving a sport edition mini or maybe a lowered one. Handles great but even with 215/55/16 tires, the ride is just ... way over dampened. Since it’s fwd, I suspect that the wagon weighs only 200# more than the sedan at most. IMO that’s not enough to warrant a much heavier dampener.

Anyways, the long and short of it is: should I get the b4 comfort struts, let these sport ones break in more, or go back to sachs (loved the oem ride, just not the quality).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think it's likely you'll get more of the same if you get a different Bilstein part number. When I searched, all the numbers you posted came up as B4. There could be some differences if they're tailored for different vehicles, but I bet they're much the same. If you really want a change, I think you should go back to OEM.

I also think first you should try having your tires a bit softer, unless you already have them down at 32 psi. What psi do you have in your tires now?

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I run them at 35psi. The feeling of hitting road cracks is one thing (related to tire pressure and sidewall ratio) but this thing throws you around with minor road variations (dips, undulations, etc).

I had a friend ride with me today who owns a newly refreshed z350 (kyb) and he says it’s pretty close to that... in a wagon!!! Just no way this is the normal bilstein b4 experience (of which I know firsthand), I think it’s a mislabeled/poorly labeled application. The dampening is so overdone that it feels like a sports car... missing all the ride refinement that I enjoyed in my vw.

After my friend confirmed my thoughts, I’m going back to the Sachs. I’ll order through fcp and will get true lifetime warranty anyway.

Side note: if anyone wants to try out these spectacular handling struts/shocks with 1000 miles, I’ll give them to you for half of what I bought them for. Should be available in the next few days.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We (IDParts) show the correct B4 PNs for your car are 22-131614 front, and 19-127439 rear. When I search for the numbers you installed they do seem to come up for vehicles with sport suspension. So you may have sport dampers, which are valved some 20% firmer than the B4s for regular suspension.

Seems RA's cataloging was almost, but not quite, correct.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I spoke with bilstein directly and this is their response to my inquiry: Our online catalog confirms these are the correct dampers for this vehicle. I would consider going to an ASE certified mechanic to ensure the install is correct. You can contact VW to see if one of the below interchanges match your chassis. We do not have a standard / sport offering for this model.

So apparently I should have ordered them from IDP because no one else can figure out that these b4’s aren’t correct!

Are you saying that these sport b4’s are approximately 20% stiffer than the ‘comfort’ models? If so I might just give bilstein another go.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Interesting to read others thoughts on Bilsteins. The B4’s are otherwise known as TC’s are they not? Ksing and others have been running them for years and like them, but perhaps there are two different sets of parts numbers.

I’ve run B6 HD for about 3 years now and don’t plan to change them but I probably wouldn’t get them again if I had to replace shocks. The only downside to me is a very sharp response to small bumps such as expansion cracks and minor broken pavement which I have had to tune out with compliant tires than the Defenders that came on the car. I notice a bit more of lower frequency road imperfections than my Mk IV with Koni Reds but it’s not annoying. With a load in the back or towing a trailer they are really nice. The B4s are supposed to be quite a bit softer so I’m surprised to hear that model is too stiff. Of course a lot depends on your local roads, if I had to regularly drive on concrete I’m pretty sure I would be looking for something else.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
My initial experience with the b4 was very good, so much so I didn’t question the listed b4 application and ordered on instinct.

I will say, I also noticed that the oe Sachs has listings for both comfort and sport. My guess is that bilstein just figured with the extra weight of the wagon the sport version would be fine... but like I said, it’s not that much heavier than the sedan and consequently over dampened to the point you’d want a lowered car to match.

Even though I loved my b4 previously, I was even happier with the ie Sachs in this car. I’ll give that a shot and let you guys know.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Okay, mystery solved: the struts/shocks I installed are identical to the ones listed for the sedan GLI... which, you guessed-it, ARE SPORT.

Again, just a huge mess-up from Bilstein. Guys, unless you want a killer handling machine, avoid this setup.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I can throw in my 2 cents here because I have both sets for my Audi A3. I have a set of TC "sports" with eibach prokit springs, and I have a set of TC "standard" with the factory springs (non sport package car).

Both are stiffer than stock, but the TC sports are definitely the stiffer of the two.

If you are keeping (and can tolerate) the factory springs, then the standard TC would be most appropriate.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
For the first time, ive gone back to Sachs... I expect that these will give me less performance but more refinement... and a shorter lifespan. I’ll keep you all posted

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Okay just replaced/replacing the b4 bilsteins with the sachs. By comparison (new to new), the sport bilstein is both harder to compress and is slower to rebound than the comfort sachs by about 40-50%. They appear to have the same travel, the bilstein might be a little shorter. Which is consistent with my experience on the road driving.

You need the 55mm front strut and make sure you get the non 14mm bolt rear shock. At least on my JSW, I have the larger lower bolt in the rear shock so the sedan's shock won't fit. I installed Sachs part no. (front) SAC-312615 and (rear) SAC-310950. Showed as blue label (supposedly that's the good version), but delivered with white label. Perfect fitment.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
I'm looking at upgrading the tired stock suspension on our 100k mile wagon. Does anyone have experience matching struts and shocks with towing/tiguan springs? ID parts says they highly recommend Koni special actives, but I'm averse to the price tag.

I'm considering Bilstein TC because I was very happy with them on my mk4 Jetta, but I'm aiming for a different application now. I'm on a bit of a budget, but I don't want to regret saving $150 if they won't pair well with the towing springs.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, for anyone running lift springs... should I expect additional wear or premature failure of CV joints?

Anything I'm not thinking of?

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I'm looking at upgrading the tired stock suspension on our 100k mile wagon. Does anyone have experience matching struts and shocks with towing/tiguan springs? ID parts says they highly recommend Koni special actives, but I'm averse to the price tag.
I'm considering Bilstein TC because I was very happy with them on my mk4 Jetta, but I'm aiming for a different application now. I'm on a bit of a budget, but I don't want to regret saving $150 if they won't pair well with the towing springs.
Honestly, if you're towing, the B4 sports I have would be perfect. They're VERY heavy duty as compared to stock.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I would use the Jetta Koni Special Actives for front and Tiguan OEM struts for rear. IMHO the Jetta struts for the rear are too short. And put on a used GTI (22mm) rear bar while your at it...

I have not had any CV issues yet in about 7,000 miles (62k miles total on car).

Last edited:

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
How about ride quality while not towing? I'm not trying to convert to a work truck, just looking for a trailer to move 4x8 sheets and occasionally a mower.

Anyone have experience with the airbags for the rear springs? Seems like a cost effective alternative for someone with a budget thats getting tighter. (5 weeks until second baby shows up).

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
I just did a suspension refresh and the Bilstein B4 w/FCP euro mounting kit.
It feels like a new car.
That's all I'm saying.
Of course, you don't need to do it.
But if you do a Bilstein update, you will know you like it.
At 115,000 miles, it's a great upgrade.
Paul