AirBag Malfunction Light ?Solution

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
For those people who have had a problem with their 2006 Jetta TDI's Airbag malfunction light staying on, has there been a common cause and solution for it? Mine comes on normally during startup, then shuts off for a second, then stays on indefinitely while the engine is running. It started this annoying behavior last evening. I have almost 800 miles on my Jetta now. I love it otherwise. Also, the trunk light never has worked. I intend to call the trusty :eek: dealership tomorrow to get these issues resolved.
By the way, If my question annoys anyone, you may ignore it. I am aware of the search function and I have used it profusely :eek: .

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
TerryTDI said:
For those people who have had a problem with their 2006 Jetta TDI's Airbag malfunction light staying on, has there been a common cause and solution for it? Mine comes on normally during startup, then shuts off for a second, then stays on indefinitely while the engine is running. It started this annoying behavior last evening. I have almost 800 miles on my Jetta now. I love it otherwise. Also, the trunk light never has worked. I intend to call the trusty :eek: dealership tomorrow to get these issues resolved.
By the way, If my question annoys anyone, you may ignore it. I am aware of the search function and I have used it profusely :eek: .
No annoyance, this is why we are all here.
The trip to the Dealer is just the route that you should take, especially with an Airbag fault.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta Reflexive Silver PKG0
I had this happen in my 2004 GTI. This could actually be a serious problem. In my GTI it was the wiring harness. It was fried. They quoted the replacement at $6000, but it was covered by warranty.

spelchek

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0l TDI
Just started happening on my golf today as well.. 6500km on the clock.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to fit me in tomorrow to diagnose the fault.

last

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-spd man.
LS Tdi

I've had my AirBag light pop 3 times on my 06MKV, withing recent few weeks.
The dealer cleared the codes, and said that the warning was due to
a voltage spike in the side air bag. They have checked the harness, but
the light is back on. They will replace the airbag (warranty).

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
Since i began this thread I thought Id update you on the airbag issue. My driver's side front airbag is faulty and is to be replaced next Tuesday. I told the dealer that since its a safety issue I would think he would get me in sooner to have it replaced, but safety is not a consideration when scheduling.

Dr_Rubber

TDI
2005 Touran 1.9 TDI, Red
Should only be a problem in a side impact. When my side airbag packed in I was told the system just isolates that bag, the rest should still work. Still drove carefully until the part arrived though!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
My airbag light is on again in my 05.5 Jetta. The first time, they found a harness problem under the passenger seat. I wonder what it will be this time? I have to say, this is the third electrical prtoblem in 1 year. My car is just over 1 year old and darn, i just can't seem to stay away from the dealer for more than 4 -5 months at a time. I guess an exteneded warranty is a must if you don't want to drop big bucks at the dealer. I hate to start thinking this way but, it may be time to try another brand car. I am sure the engine will last. The DSG trans is an unknown factor as far as longevity goes. But, I don't think VW has made lots of progress with their electrical parts. Sorry, don't want to sound like a traitor but I am losing faith in VW. My Passat (05) has lots of vibrations and rattles but no electrical problems. Must be the A5 engineering.

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
TerryTDI said:
Since i began this thread I thought Id update you on the airbag issue. My driver's side front airbag is faulty and is to be replaced next Tuesday. I told the dealer that since its a safety issue I would think he would get me in sooner to have it replaced, but safety is not a consideration when scheduling.
Don't be too hard on them, they have a job to do as well.