Newbe compatibility of parts?

amfe

TDI
2001 A4
Hi guys have a few questions in relation to the compatability of parts between years.

I bought a 2001 jetta tdi the other day and I am looking to go to junk yard and find some better seats as mine are ragged out. Are all VW seats in all the different models compatable? Is there a source to find out this such of thing?

THe other thing I am trying to figure out is the car only came with a key and no fob. the key will not go all the way in the trunk or the keyhole for the gas cap/trunk. Any ideas? Can I buy a fob on ebay or is there a better source other than paying vw 200?

Thanks for the help in advance. I tried searching but the search doesnt seem to be to good or I cant figure it out any way.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The seats are specific to the model, although some Golfs and Jettas use the same front seats. There is a change in the SRS system which means the seats are different, although you may be able to use the covers and cushions from a newer car. I *think* 2002 was the change year.

The fob and key are two different parts, and the key has a transponder inside for the immobiliser. You can have that deleted by a tuner if you like. Volkswagen orders keys precut by VIN. You can program a used fob to your car so long as it is the same part number.

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Front seats from a Jetta/Golf/New Beetle should fit. B5 Passat front seats can be made to work with swapping the seat base/track. Rear seats from Jetta/Golf should fit. Biggest hurdle on the rears is the 2 styles of brackets are different that hinge the rear seats. There was a metal pan base with a hard hinge, and then a wire base with a double pivot hinge. Wire bases are nicer (i feel) because you can remove them from the vehicle with a quick unhooking. You can retrofit the hinge tabs for the rear seats if needed.

There might be some need for adapters for the airbag connectors between some of the seats. They are doable, just a bit of work. I've encountered these things when i swapped my own seats.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All the search engines for car forums I've used seem pretty bare bones.
One of our users took the Google advanced search and customized it, try it-
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447123
You will so much info on keys and fobs, you can get confused.
Some of our members know a lot about the seats. One of the best other sources is actually the salvage yards themselves, try car-part.com.

amfe

TDI
2001 A4
Thanks Bob that is a much much better search!

I will look into the Key problem with this search. Oil I may be getting in touch thanks for the info.

everyone else thanks for the info. Now to search for a decent set of seats.

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Thanks Bob that is a much much better search!

I will look into the Key problem with this search. Oil I may be getting in touch thanks for the info.

everyone else thanks for the info. Now to search for a decent set of seats.
If you're near Detroit, I have a set of leather heated manual and red GTI high bolster seats I need to get rid of ;)

brian123

TDI
2004 golf
I too am a newbie. Want to know year and model compatible for my 2004 Golf TDI. Looking for dash and passenger airbag, driver front fender panel. front bumper and rad support. Can anyone help. Also looking to go to a pick your part this weekend to look for parts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Any A4 gen Golf will be the same for the outside body parts. A4 Jetta will also use the same lock carrier assembly (what you called a "core support").

Later Golfs (like yours) got amber front turn lenses in the headlamp assembly, but are otherwise the same.

Dash, again, any A4 Golf however some cars have a one piece dash panel, some have a breakaway piece over the passenger side. I honestly do not know if there is any difference underneath. The airbags themselves changed around 2002.

You could also use a Jetta dash, however they have slightly different (and more fragile) vents that close all the way, and earlier A4 Jettas also have a vent illumination at night, but your Golf won't have the wires for them anyway.