Tire suggestions

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I have bad control arms and tie rod ends as well as severely worn tires. Planning to replace the front suspension next weekend and looking for some tire suggestions. Does anybody increase size for mileage?

Looking for a bullet proof all season that gets a million miles and cost next to nothing.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Michellin Defender. Good traction, fairly quiet and almost no wear after 11,000 miles. Very long treadwear warranty. Low rolling resistance. More expensive than some other tires but worth it.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Michellin has always been my go to tire. They are round, balance with little if any weight, and do the job well.

My wife has told me when I am waffling about the next set of tires. "Get the Michellins, I hate the sound bad tires cause. The sound emanates from the drivers seat usually, till the crappy tires are gone again."

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I have had a set of Michelins on my 1 ton van for the last 60k and they have been great so I will check the out. Thank You.

Any thoughts on bumping up a size to increase mileage? I have a 5 spd with a stage 1 tune and Franke cam.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Increasing the tire size will probably have a negligible effect on mpg except possibly in 5th gear on the highway. The larger tire will weigh more, have greater inertia, and require more energy (fuel) to get rolling from a stop. My experience is that the factory tire size, rear end and gear ratios are just about ideal for performance and economy. I would also guess that the increased cost of the larger tire (X4) will offset any fuel savings.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm going to go against the grain....

Michelin builds a great tire - as above - low weight to balance, and good for noise etc. What drives me bonkers is that they age poorly - I find every Michelin I've owned starts to get age cracking very early. Ihave energy plus on my wife's SUV, and the age cracking will make me replace the tires prematurely. Michelin will not get any more of my money due to that.

That said, if you are in the high-mileage-annually bucket where most of us find ourselves, then go for the michelins.

My Passat with 450k has been shod with Continental contipro contact the last two times, and I'll get a third set in a year or so. Very happy with them overall for treadwear, traction, noise, and especially smooth ride with no vibrations. They balance as well as Michelins IMHO.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I have observed the Michelin cracking myself too. 4 year old tires and already cracks, they look like 10-15 year old tires.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Last summer I took 1/2 worn Michelins off my 1971 Super Beetle and replaced them due to cracking in the sidewalls. They were date coded July 1999. I didn't trust them anymore.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Last summer I took 1/2 worn Michelins off my 1971 Super Beetle and replaced them due to cracking in the sidewalls. They were date coded July 1999. I didn't trust them anymore.
Not off topic but I have a 92 GMC pickup that I installed Michelins on in 1999. They have around 50K on them and no dry rot, have never had to re-balance and they don't flat spot even though the truck sometimes does not move out of it's spot in my driveway for a month at a time. Just had the truck at 80mph and not a shake or a shimmy. Can't figure them out, LOL :eek:

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've had great luck with the Michelins, usually getting more miles on them than the mileage warranty. I cannot say the same about the Yokohamas I tried for one set that only made it, IIRC, 2/3 of the way to the mileage warranty.

Time wise, I thought tires were only "good" for 10 years. I know some places won't rotate/balance them once they reach that age (if you don't rotate them yourself).

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I've been a Michelin/Continental snob pretty much forever. Whenever I buck the trend I regret it later. I've had Hydroedge (now Defender) and ExtremeContact DWS06 on my Passat's, and either are excellent.

Tires, brakes and suspension are the holy trinity of what not to cheap out on when replacing.

-BB

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Good to know about the Michelins cracking specially in hot/sunny areas. Maybe it might be a good idea to apply (on the sidewalls ONLY) some of that Aerospace 303. Thoughts?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I am happy with Pirelli p7plus Centuratos. I use them for 8mo/yr and they are coming up on 4yrs. I would estimate they have about 65k on them and should be good for another year. They are still good in the rain. Bridgestone WS60 are my winter tire and they are finishing their 8th season.
I have experienced previous Michelin sidewall cracking as well. Non thus far on the Pirellis.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Been using Michelins for 45 years, with never any problems. I don't recall any cracking issues. Maybe an Ontario thing