FS: 2004 Jetta TDI mechanic's special

eurrofreak

TDI
none
sold
Selling a very clean body 5 speed manual sedan Jetta with high miles 323k BEW engine. It had the clutch recently replaced as well as a new PD pump and the timing belt service withing the last 1000 miles. The turbo was checked by the po and is in fantastic shape with no shaft play. The car starts, runs and drives, but has the CEL light on and a P0101 code for MAF sensor. The sensor has been replaced with a new correct Bosch unit that didn't fix the problem. The car has very slow acceleration up until the RPM gets to about 2000, and in general doesn't accelerate like it really should. Holding the clutch and revving it while in the low RPM's does help. Starting the car when cold takes a few seconds longer with a little feathering of the throttle. No problems when its warm or just not very cold. From what I have been told and after a bit of research the air intake needs to be cleaned first and foremost.
Posting this car up for sale after I just bought it locally with the intent of doing the needed repairs. Unfortunately something happened and I now do not have the space nor the time to do that.
The car is located in Milwaukee WI. I am willing to drive a little bit to meet with the buyer. Also will be going on a unrelated road trip to Missouri and Arkansas the weekend of March 17th in which time I could bring the car down if that helps with the sale.

:)Pros:
Very good exterior (beside whats listed below)
Decent black leather interior
Good all-season tires with lots of life left (2 look totally new)
New PD pump
Good turbo
Fresh timing belt service(unfortunately no paperwork proof)
Newish good clutch
New front struts
Newer front brakes
No electrical problems, everything works like it should
Sunroof

:(Cons:
Sluggish engine performance with CEL light
The only problems with the exterior is the rust on the trunk lid, especially
at the plate bolt holes.
The small paint bubbling on the passenger side quarter corner (shown)
Could use an alignment judging by the steering wheel being a little off.
Typical broken lid on center console(armrest)
No ashtray cover

Asking $1800 OBO

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am betting it has a giant air leak some where. Should be pretty obvious, someone who knows these cars could probably have it diagnosed in 10 minutes.

Good luck with your sale, hope someone scoops it up, although in its present state probably not for that price.

I'd fix it and then sell it. How far are you from Madison?

eurrofreak

TDI
none
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a big air leak. It was looked at by a decently experienced tech that was the one who recommended the intake service. About 90 miles east of Madison.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
If this is a BEW PD engine which it should be in an 04, it does not have an IP.
It has a tandem pump on the end of the head and each injector has its own "pump" hence pumpe duse or PD.
Selling a very clean body 5 speed manual sedan Jetta with high miles 323k BEW engine. It had the clutch recently replaced as well as a new injection pump and the timing belt service withing the last 1000 miles. The turbo was checked by the po and is in fantastic shape with no shaft play. The car starts, runs and drives, but has the CEL light on and a P0101 code for MAF sensor. The sensor has been replaced with a new correct Bosch unit that didn't fix the problem. The car has very slow acceleration up until the RPM gets to about 2000, and in general doesn't accelerate like it really should. Holding the clutch and revving it while in the low RPM's does help. Starting the car when cold takes a few seconds longer with a little feathering of the throttle. No problems when its warm or just not very cold. From what I have been told and after a bit of research the air intake needs to be cleaned first and foremost.
Posting this car up for sale after I just bought it locally with the intent of doing the needed repairs. Unfortunately something happened and I now do not have the space nor the time to do that.
The car is located in Milwaukee WI. I am willing to drive a little bit to meet with the buyer. Also will be going on a unrelated road trip to Missouri and Arkansas the weekend of March 17th in which time I could bring the car down if that helps with the sale.
:)Pros:
Very good exterior (beside whats listed below)
Decent black leather interior
Good all-season tires with lots of life left (2 look totally new)
New PD pump
Good turbo
Fresh timing belt service(unfortunately no paperwork proof)
Newish good clutch
New front struts
Newer front brakes
No electrical problems, everything works like it should
Sunroof
:(Cons:
Sluggish engine performance with CEL light
The only problems with the exterior is the rust on the trunk lid, especially
at the plate bolt holes.
The small paint bubbling on the passenger side quarter corner (shown)
Could use an alignment judging by the steering wheel being a little off.
Typical broken lid on center console(armrest)
No ashtray cover
Asking $1800 OBO

eurrofreak

TDI
none
Ahh, thanks! I guess I thought the PD pump is also called the injection pump. I really need to learn these things.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Kind of tempting. And I am in state. Wouldn't have the money till the end of March and I really don't need it. Will have to see of someone else scoops this up.