Should I get a TDI SportWagon help

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Hello TDI friends,
I am trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get back into a TDI again. The family had 2 TDI Passats that we sold back and I replaced one with a 2017 Passat SE w/technology. Been a good car so far but while at the dealer getting some filters I seen a Red SportWagon that was quite sharp looking. I think they wanted right around 20K for it. My Passat is paid off but I think I will end up getting less for the Passat them the SportWagon will cost. I know in the long run the diesel will pay off but that would be long term.

I commute about 140 miles a day so I miss the TDI for that aspect alone. I like the room in the Passat but it is not often that I have the whole family with me in the car. I do have a MegaCab Ram if I have a long trip and need large roomy back seat for passengers.

How is the SportWagon for comfort in a long ride? I haven't drove it yet maybe this weekend. I am also a 6'1" 240lb guy. I did sit in it and leg room was fine.

Any SportWagon guys here that made the switch from a Passat? Thanks for any help or opinions as I am all over the place with this decesion..

TwistedElvis

TDI
2015 sportwagon
Im about the same size as you and works great for my long trips, one trip of 110 mile drive every weekend and then the San Diego to Las Vegas every 3 months without stopping some times?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I can't help with perspective coming from a NMS Passat, but...

You might be disappointed with cruising range since the GSW's tank is only 13.2 gal. Coming from an A4 Golf and B4 Passat, I'm very aware of it.

I also notice the increased heat gain with the pano sunroof, again compared to an A4 and B4, both w/ sunroofs. The perforated sunshade is not very helpful.

The S and SE seats fit wider torsos better that SEL seats, but lack the bottom cushion tilt and 4-way lumbar adjustments that, for me, makes all the difference in comfort on a long trip. I replaced my SE seats with SELs, but I fit in the taller, narrower bolsters (6'1", 165 lbs.). My butt would go numb after 2.5-3 hours in the SE seats.

I would suggest a GSW with the lighting package. The base halogen lighting is nearly inadequate. You can always add aftermarket HIDs, though.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't help with perspective coming from a NMS Passat, but...

You might be disappointed with cruising range since the GSW's tank is only 13.2 gal. Coming from an A4 Golf and B4 Passat, I'm very aware of it.

I also notice the increased heat gain with the pano sunroof, again compared to an A4 and B4, both w/ sunroofs. The perforated sunshade is not very helpful.

The S and SE seats fit wider torsos better that SEL seats, but lack the bottom cushion tilt and 4-way lumbar adjustments that, for me, makes all the difference in comfort on a long trip. I replaced my SE seats with SELs, but I fit in the taller, narrower bolsters (6'1", 165 lbs.). My butt would go numb after 2.5-3 hours in the SE seats.

I would suggest a GSW with the lighting package. The base halogen lighting is nearly inadequate. You can always add aftermarket HIDs, though.
Very helpful thanks. I am looking at an SE with lighting package.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
I personally would prefer the SEL seats for the tighter hug being 5'10" 160 lbs. But the SE seats are very comfortable to me, I drive around 35k a year and do 4 hour trips all the time and have never had any discomfort. I love my GSW, the only thing I dislike is the 450 mile range compared to my 2015 jetta that could do 550+, not exactly a dislike but a comparative con to the GSW. I do drive it like an ******* though....

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I just turned in my 2013 JSW with a little over 72K for a 2015 Golf SW SEL with less than 14K and for only 21500. That worked out to be almost a new GSW for free because I am getting 24K for the old JSW.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help guys. I just got to figure out if it is worth trading in a 2017 gas Passat SE with 34K miles in for a 2015 SportWagon. I dont owe anything on the Passat and I know the miles are high for a 2017 but they only want to give me anywhere from 13-15 for it. The SportWagon will be around 20 give or take a grand.

The one I looked at only had 13K on it for an SE with Lighting package for almost 21K. Just got to decide if it is worth that 5 or 6 thousand dollar hit is worth it or not.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
You have to buy it because you have TDI in your forum name :)

I think you will find the ea288 tdi gsw a joy to drive, great torque, great sound, super smooth and unbeatable efficiency.

A tune from Kerma or Malone will help nicely while keeping the exhaust stock

Try to get a nice long test drive..

and they will become collectors items, way in the future lol

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm nearby. I commute from Milford (DE) to Stevensville (MD) Mon-Thurs, then catch an MTA bus the rest of the way into DC. If you are ever on Kent Island around 5 pm Mon-Thurs or around Milford on the weekend, I'd be glad to let you have a look/ride at my S trim GSW.

I also had a 2012 Passat TDI. The GSW is a bit more snug in the driving position for sure, but not bad. I'm 5'10", 200+. I've taken it on road trips to Canada twice and had no driving discomfort, nor did my two sons (12 and 10).

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm nearby. I commute from Milford (DE) to Stevensville (MD) Mon-Thurs, then catch an MTA bus the rest of the way into DC. If you are ever on Kent Island around 5 pm Mon-Thurs or around Milford on the weekend, I'd be glad to let you have a look/ride at my S trim GSW.

I also had a 2012 Passat TDI. The GSW is a bit more snug in the driving position for sure, but not bad. I'm 5'10", 200+. I've taken it on road trips to Canada twice and had no driving discomfort, nor did my two sons (12 and 10).
Wow your commute is defiantly worse then mine. I do cross Kent Island on my commute and appreciate the offer. Have you missed the Passat at all? I do love the look of the wagon for sure and love the room of the Passat. I know I can get another Passat but maybe looking for a change.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Wow your commute is defiantly worse then mine. I do cross Kent Island on my commute and appreciate the offer. Have you missed the Passat at all? I do love the look of the wagon for sure and love the room of the Passat. I know I can get another Passat but maybe looking for a change.
I don't miss the Passat. It was a very nice car, but you could tell it was designed specifically for the US market. It felt more like a Ford Fusion to me than a VW. The GSW definitely feels like a VW, if that makes sense.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I got it. thanks for all the info and replies to help me decide. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. It is a SE with Lighting package Tornado Red with Black interior and it only had 12,763 on the odometer.

Real happy so far.

Like Blue Hen in about 10 years it will all be over and worth it.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
I'm six foot five and it is has plenty of leg room and head room for me (no sunroof). I just wish I had a longer commute :/

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
should have snagged a '15 Passat TDI and motor on!

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
I sold back my 2013 Passat TDI in June and bought a NOS 2015 GSW TDI SE w/LP. There’s no debate, it’s smaller than the Passat. Passat is cavernous for passengers. I have two front facing car seats in my GSW, and the kids (6 and 3) are easily able to kick the backs of the front seats. In my Passat they weren’t close.

The drivers seat is pretty much as comfortable as my Passat, but does feel a bit “tighter” with arm room. Leg room is not an issue, I’m 6 ft.

Driving dynamics, I prefer the GSW in almost every way to the Passat. It drives closer to my previous MK7 GTI than it did to my Passat. It’s not a GTI or close, but the steering and feel is closer to that than it is to how the Passat handled. Again, Golf platform vs Passat.

Cargo-wise, the Passat trunk is huge, but the GSW cargo space is more flexible. I just love hatches/wagons and will take one over a trunk any day. I tailgate and occasionally camp, and the GSW excels. Hauling grills, coolers, etc, the GSW cargo height is welcome. I also expect the GSW TDI to hold its value better.