Q7 tdi's back on market?

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Looking for a Q7 and noticed TDI's recently. What the scoop maybe ill grab one if the warranty is good.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Guess the better question are buybacks hitting market or is the 3 liter still in limbo

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Buybacks for Gen1's havent even been collected yet; unsold 2015's are still in Limbo.. neither will be sold w/out the fix.

You can get trade-ins for Gen2's, but Gen1's are being held onto for buyback money unless owner is stupid ignorant.

The NEW Q7 TDI's in limbo most likely already have deposits and/or waiting lists.

jjohn

TDI
Audi Q5
I am in a weird/ comfortable situation. My 2014 Q5 with 24k miles is due for return in Jan 2018. I was very much leaning towards buying that but right now i am rethinking what will be the future of Diesel in the US and the value of my car.
My plan is to negotiate with them for a lower price, which should work under the current scenario.
Any suggestions in this case???

Bauer09

TDI
'01 Jetta
I'm interested in this too --- looking for a larger SUV for family to replace our jetta tdi and would love to upgrade to the Q7 tdi.

What's the story with buybacks? I notice there are any for sale currently older than 2013 -- is that gen 2? Anyone know the buyback story?

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
I too am confused on the status of what will happen to these Gen 1 2009-2012 Q7 TDI's. I was in Atlanta this week and crossed a fella loading Q7's onto a car hauler trailer. My curiosity got the best of me so I stopped to ask "hey, where you taking these cars." He said he had been taking loads all week that were buybacks from the local Audi dealer that were headed to TN to be crushed.

Did the EPA not approve a fix? I mean, these are perfectly good cars going right to the crusher. Damn shame.

I too am looking to replace my gas guzzler Tahoe with the TDI Q7 which would be a perfect fit. My issue is I can't afford to pay the going rate for a 2013+ Q7 TDI, which leaves me dwelling in the Gen 1 range. And as my luck would have it of course, you can't find one because of the buybacks.

I was hoping they'd be fixed and resold eventually.

Last edited:

eurocab

TDI
2004 Passat, 2010 Audi Q7
Returning mine on Aug 7

I was tempted to take the $10K plus and keep my 2010, but the buyback is too generous to pass up. I have seen other 2013's for less than my buyback. I bet they strip them down prior to crushing them.

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
I plan to read these Dieselgate threads from stem to stern here soon, just haven't gotten to it yet, so forgive my ignorance here...

So Gen 1 Q7 TDI owners have the option to keep the vehicle and take a one time payment and keep their vehicle? What's the figures on the difference between the keep-the-vehicle check and the buyback check?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
There is no fix for Gen1's avilable yet, there could be with time but with the buyback values on these vehicles its far more attractive to turn it in than it is to take the fix.. Just like the Gen1 2.0L's, I thought there was no way in hell the settlement could get me to part with my beloved Golf.. then I saw how much money they would give me and it got offered up as a sacrifice to the crusher.. everyone's got a price.

The chances of you scoring a Gen1 right now are next to none, If any were to become available they are instantly being harvested and turned in for serious profit.. You'd have to get one from Auction because the'll never make it onto a lot.

A very tiny percentage might be taking the fix, but if they do those people are likely determined to keep it for the long haul, so good luck getting one post-fix.. if they wanted out of the vehicle the'd of just turned it in.