driver seat position in TDI Golf 01 vs 06

kafka

TDI
inbetween TDI Golf
Hi.
I am wondering if anyone has a 06 TDI Golf and could send pic of the driver seat. Does it let you sit straight with no slouching?
I had a 01 Golf that I totally loved except the seat position which made me slouch in an uncomfortable position and increased back and hip pain.
I was told that the seat design was changed in the 06 model but have not been able to find one to try. I am interested in buying a TDI again.
Thanks.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Go to your local stealership and sit in an '06 GTI or regular Golf?

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I am a tall driver and commute 130 miles per day. I specifically purchased an 06 VW because of how well I fit in it, and because I can sit with my seat back in a fully upright position without hitting my head on the roof.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I'm not sure how long you've had your Golf, have you tried all of the seat adjustment options? Between adjustments for back and forth, height, seatback angle, and steering wheel tilt and telescope, I can't see how you can't find a position that you don't slouch.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I see that you're a newbie on here, so you might have just gotten your Golf. I've talked to people on here who have had their VW for over a year and never new that the steering wheel telescoped.

I'm 5'11" tall, and I usually put the seat back about 80%, and about 80% of it's full height, then put the back more upright than not, and have the steering wheel about 50% out. It's more "chair like" than the usual low seat, reclined position that most people like. I can drive all day and not feel sore. Try that and see if it's better.

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
from 2001 to 2006 old body style the seats are exactly the same design with the exception of a gti/337/or r32. Some people have said that the material used makes a difference as well.
If it is new body style eg rabbit there is a difference with the design of the seat.
I would play with the seating position, steering position also don't forget about the head rests.
I have found a lot of my customers find the seating position quite uncomfortable until they adjust the head rest up and down and in and out.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
You can also buy things like lumbar pillows that strap/velcro to the seat. Some people like those beaded seat covers.

My '01 & '02 were both very comfortable cars. I drove from MA to OH and back twice, from MA to VA/TN twice, MA to DC several times, and many other long trips. If I didn't have to stop to use the rest room or get a bite to eat, I could have done the trips in one long shot.

My '09 is even more comfortable: on my last trip back to MA from DC, I drove all the way to Enfield CT from DC before needing to stop. The heated seats help a lot.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I think they all feel the same ,I sat in a 2010 and IMO the driving position felt the same as my 2002 golf which was the same as my 2001 golf and the same as the jetta I test drove ... because I never actualy drove a golf before ordering one

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
The thing to remember is that the most comfortable position at the beginning of the trip may not be the most comfortable at the end of the trip.

I once had a '94 Caprice wagon with very soft seats. Pillows almost. They were very comfortable when you first get in, but spend an hour or two in there, and they're horrible. In my Golf, on the other hand, the seats felt like concrete in comparison to the Chevy. However, after hours and hours behind the wheel I'm still comfortable and able to drive more miles without feeling sore.

Also, be sure not to recline the seatbacks too much on long trips. Laying back might be alright for running down to the store, but it's bad for your back on long trips.