Should I buy this 2006?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
2006 Jetta manual transmission with package 2 and 270k miles. It has service records and timing belt/ water pump and camshaft was supposedly replaced last January (I am waiting to see receipt for that). It will need new tires.

It is silver and has some dings and scratches and a couple chips that have surface rust but not rot that I could find. No accidents.

Interior is dirty and headliner needs to be replaced.

The engine is all stock with the exception of an EGR delete. There are 2 engine codes; the first is P0122 (throttle/pedal position sensor) and P2413 (exhaust gas recirculation system). Will those codes be an issue or easily fixable?

Lookin at this for new teenage driver, so I accept the car won’t be perfect.

Last edited:

Dude5724

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hm.... i feel like this could be gotten for cheaper. If he has receipts for all of that and they match up then possibly. Try and compare the price of what was done to the price of the car.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Were the computer scans done using a generic obdii scaner? They will just report the obdii table codes. There may be more vag specific codes stored.

As for the exhaust gas recirc code, seems the EGR was removed without an ECU flash. This will me remedied by re attaching the EGR system.

Last edited:

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Were the computer scans done using a generic obdii scaner? They will just report the obdii table codes. There may be more vag specific codes stored.

As for the exhaust gas recirc code, seems the EGR was removed without an ECU flash. This will me remedied by re attaching the EGR system.
Carlos, it was just scanned with a generic scanner and not Vagcom. No reprogramming of the ecu was done.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The EGR may have been removed because of a leaking EGR cooler, and the PO didnt want to cough the $$ for the replacement. What other half @ssed fixes were done to the car?

Pay a nearby guru for an inspection. Its money well spent and you will know what you are facing

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
The EGR may have been removed because of a leaking EGR cooler, and the PO didnt want to cough the $$ for the replacement. What other half @ssed fixes were done to the car?

Pay a nearby guru for an inspection. Its money well spent and you will know what you are facing
I would, but the seller hasn’t gotten back to me since I test drive the car on Friday so he may have already sold it. Too bad, it would have made a nice first car for my daughter.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is back on the market and he send me the receipt for the camshaft, followers, timing belt and water pump replacement from a local reputable VW shop.

I am planning on picking it up this weekend.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Remember that any first car for a child will most likely get wrecked. My daughter wrecked one, my son had wrecked at least 2 and my Grand daughter wrecked 2 within about a year of each car.

The GD's 2nd wreck was a Chevy Equinox which is the best thing that could have happened to that pile of poo. It looked nice except it had some expensive major repairs in it future. The bright side with GM products is when they move all of their production to China, quality will improve.................................or not. :rolleyes:

No one was injured in any of those collisions...........

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I paid $2k for mine with 180k but I had to put $3500 into it, and bought it running and driveable. Currently at 188k, everything needs to be redone including wheel bearings, brakes you name it. The last owner apparently just drove it like a toyota owner and probably just did the oil changes/filters.