Post fix warranty claim

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
The warranty info I received from VW (you can find the same info on the vwcourtsettlement.com website) says on page 9 of 11 (in the pdf version it is page 12 of 14) "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer." If the Audi head honchos aren't cooperative, call the class action attorneys. Maybe go ahead and call them now, instead of waiting. Dealership already said no, it's time for the lawyers.

I would add that if VW/Audi took on the emissions repair in the first place and took credit towards their 85 percent completion, they should honor the warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How is it 50 hours to replace a oil pan gasket seal?

I guess there's a good reason to stay away from the 3.0.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Lets be clear about the 3.0 TDI. I have a 2012 TDI and the engine is spectacular in every way. Great power ,MPGs and towing capacity. All the things you want in an engine. Just don't screw around with a super tune, You're not in a dragster,it's an SUV for gods sake. Don't complain when something goes wrong when you hype up a motor ,it's on you from them on.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That's prob true, but when the OP bought the car it wasn't known the car was tuned, and he didn't get to enjoy the previous owners tune.

Sounds like your statements are geared to the previous owner who prob leased it anyways.

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
I had a 2011 Touareg with the 3.0 and loved it which is why we went for the Q7 now. Yeah if I had known it was tuned by the first owner, we would have passed on buying this one.

Update: Still waiting on the verdict from Germany. Have been in a Q7 loaner for going on 2 weeks now. Dealer keeps going back and forth with more information.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Good luck Oilburnin! Great find on the gaskets and related leaks probably being taken care of with the Emissions Warranty!

I've wondered how far this warranty will stretch, I guess stage 1 is the outcome you get!

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
So the verdict is in.

Oil leaks are covered, falls under the extended "longblock" warranty. If my car didnt have the TD1 flag it would have had the leak repaired under the extended warranty.

Warranty claim was ultimately denied because of the TD1 flag though. Even though the car has had the factory tune since the emissions modification, the TD1 flag still voids the emissions warranty even though the "fix" tune from VWOA is still in there.

I bought the car presuming it had the extended VW/Audi warranty and I made that clear to the dealer i bought from that that was the reason for buying the car.

The used lux dealer bought it back from me minus a couple hundred $$ for the few miles i put on it. Car is now off my hands. I didnt want liability for a car knowing what things like HPFP, DEF heaters, DPFs and whatnot cost knowing that I would be on the hook for replacing those in the event of a failure.

Long story short, if you like you extended emissions warranty, you better not have a TD1 flag tied to your VIN. Lesson learned.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
That’s too bad. Up to you, but it would certainly be nice if you would be willing to share the VIN so that others won’t have to encounter this warranty nightmare.

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
For the sake of protecting the dealer that was willing to work with me on an issue that was more or less my fault for not having the foresight to look for a TD1 flag before purchase. I wont list the VIN specifically.

I will say though, Dont buy a Blue 2013 Q7 Prestige with Air suspension/ACC/and B&O sound with brown leather unless you want to put a tune in it right away. The oil leak was very minor, a single drip on the garage floor every other night-not a significant issue in my mind.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Thanks for info. This is a tough situation for sure, at least the dealer treated you well.

I'm just wondering how forthcoming VW will be with TD1 flag issues.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
For the sake of protecting the dealer that was willing to work with me on an issue that was more or less my fault for not having the foresight to look for a TD1 flag before purchase. I wont list the VIN specifically.
I don't see how this is your fault really. I spend too much time reading about cars on forums and have never heard of TD1 before this thread. The dealer probably wasn't aware of it when they sold the car. I think that most other consumers would probably make the same mistake. You check the in service date and mileage to see how much warranty is remaining. I wouldn't think to ask if a pre-owned car with a clean title had a voided warranty.

Good move selling it back. Now you can go find one with a warranty on it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Good resolution for you, but I would have preferred this scenario was tested in court. It's a difficult decision for VW to defend. As far as I know, consumers can't check that flag. The only way might be via VCDS (although I have one and not sure how I'd get that info-most people don't have one and most dealers would be skeptical about that kind of diagnostic in the parking lot).

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
Good resolution for you, but I would have preferred this scenario was tested in court. It's a difficult decision for VW to defend. As far as I know, consumers can't check that flag. The only way might be via VCDS (although I have one and not sure how I'd get that info-most people don't have one and most dealers would be skeptical about that kind of diagnostic in the parking lot).
Oh I agree 100%, if tested VW wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on, especially with the verbiage in the docs "all warranty disputes are to be resolved in favor of the consumer". I feel like if I were to bring it to court or at least present things to the class action lawyers, I am sure I would have likely had things turned in my favor. I was fearful though of having to go down this road every single time I had a warranty claim, waiting a month, bringing in class action lawyers every time etc. I just threw up my hands and asked the selling dealer if they wanted their car back.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yeah, to be clear, I agree with your decision. I just think the whole situation was unfortunate and frustrating.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
This has been a very intriguing case. Thanks for sharing and glad you didn’t get stuck. IMHO, there is too much confidence expressed here about tunes avoiding detection. Your case might be a cautionary tale for some.