I totaled my 2004 tdi yesterday, a sad sad day.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
I was headed to work in the morning when a box truck moving about 30 mph moved wildly into my lane as I was traveling 80 mph with the rest of the flow on Interstate 78 in Newark NJ. I hit him head on almost instantly and slam my car from 80 to 0 in a split second. I don't know how, but other than being dazed for a moment and a sore back I walked away without a scratch. The seatbelt and airbags did their job, it was a very bad accident, gone very good. When I gained my composure I noticed the scumbag took off, hit and run. It was early morning rush hour (5:30 or so) so tons of people watched it happen and not a single person called in to the police that this truck just kept on going, it's mind blowing. Had I viewed something like that I would have definitely followed that guy while calling the state police.

I loved that car so much, it gave me 260,000 almost completely flawless miles, almost everything original still, and ran like brand new. I'm gonna miss it.

Ok, on to the good news. I'm not dead, or injured. And by noon that same day, I was pulling out of the dealer with a brand new 6 speed manual 2013 Golf TDI. Now that's how you know I'm a fanatic:D I love it, and man is that little engine quick, especially compared to my 100hp PD. I've done 300 miles of break in since I bought it yesterday already. Between my commute and love for driving these cars I will be well at the 1000 mark by the end of the upcoming week.

I was worried I wouldn't be getting as good mileage as my 04 but if my calculations are correct (the computer is obviously a joke trying to go by that), doing the math of the 14.4 gallons vs miles covered so far I seem to be right around 50 per gallon mark. My driving has been city, highway, and cruising around back roads for fun, and even with that combo, is still pulling high numbers.

So yesterday was a day I won't forget, thought I'd share.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Oh, and I will hopefully have pictures of both cars up for you guys soon.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Have you posted in the 200k mile club thread? You should. I'm sorry no one called the police. May all of them experience the same or worse! That sucks! Hopefully this weighs on the guys conscience (like he has one) the rest of his life.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
this is the reason my cars all have a dash cam installed. the current best model is a 1080p blackhawk from ebay overseas.

saved me from being called 'at fault' in a very similar accident two years ago. the police were called, their report and sketch was still very wrong.

Oddly, in PA,you are considered at fault if you take evasive action, lose control of your car etc even to avoid someone plowing into your lane without notice. It's only the drivers fault if their vehicle impacts yours first.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
I'm very happy to hear that you're okay and the car performed admirably in protecting you! Excellent!
+1
These stories always amaze me with how effective many of our safety devices have become.
Might want to have a doctor check out whether you got a concussion and how your back is.
But getting out in one piece--amazing!

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!