1Z IQ Fluctuating at idle and getting more lean

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
So, a little background: My setup has been stable for several years. I have a Malone tune with 1000 rpm idle and dynamic EGR and altitude adjustment, stock turbo, stock pump, Bosio DLC 1019 injectors. The pump has been resealed but not rebuilt. I am running B20.

I have hammer-modded the pump and played with IQ between 7 and 10. I know this is higher than usual, but it seemed to be what my combo needed to minimize smoke.

It used to be that I would set IQ in VCDS and it would be pretty solid or fluctuate, perhaps 0.2 +/-.

OK, so the issue:

A week or two ago, I had set IQ to about 10. All was good.

Two days ago, I had a hard start from warm and what felt like a rough idling engine. I checked VCDS and IQ was flopping around from 11.2 to 12.4 @ 32710. I richened it to 32730 which got me 9.8 to 10.2 which was much smoother and starts were easy again.

Today, again, another hard start from warm, not as bad as before and again a fluctuating IQ, not as bad as before. Again, I richened it to 32770 which got me 9-9.4.

Why is my IQ leaning itself out? Why is my IQ fluctuating more than before?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
More clues:

Today, engine started OK from cold and I drove 2 miles to the gym and parked.

When I came out of the gym an hour later, the engine started but was very rough. It appeared to be missing. It was shaking and white smoke. I've never seen that before.

I drove on the freeway for 5 minutes and when I got off, the idle had settled to normal and no smoke. I checked IQ which was 9.0-9.2. I checked timing and that was within range - slightly advanced. Injector balance between 1 and 2 was -1.2 mg/str. I'm not sure if that is good/bad/unrelated.

One final clue - I have been using oil for some time. It's probably about 1 quart per 700 miles or so. I still think the problem is fuel related not engine internals.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
More details. I just checked the oil level and it was right on the bototm of the dipstick. I filled it about 300 miles ago when I last filled-up. That is much worse than it had been before.

My new theory is that there is something damaged with a valve guide that let a lot of oil into one of the cylinders this morning and that the smoke I was seeing was oil not fuel.

Comments?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not sure why the oil consumption would affect IQ. First thought on the IQ was worn pump. But I would focus on the oil business first, maybe a compression check?
Also unsure what long term bio might contribute.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Thanks. I agree the oil is the big issue now. I'm going to do more investigating then will make a new thread on that.