Cranked once, puff of smoke, dead

zmon

TDI
2002 Jetta
I went to start up my 2002 alh today. It cranked over once, then died. I noticed a little puff of smoke come out of the hood and now it won't turn over. The lights all still come on though.

I went through the "Won't Start" guide and it must be in the starter wiring or starter itself.

I was wondering if the puff of smoke might give anyone any clearer idea, rather than me going through all the testing steps to determine where the fault is?

Thanks.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Check the back of the starter, there is a big wire that runs from the solenoid to the main body, it probably burnt out, somewhat common.

There is a trigger wire on the back of the starter, if you pull it out and its getting 12v while the key is in 'crank' position, its most likely the starter.

zmon

TDI
2002 Jetta
After some looking around in there. It seems to be the wire from the solenoid to the clutch switch? (This part moves when the clutch is depressed to crank the car over.)

The voltage testing for the trigger wire is low and the big wire connecting to the body seems fine.

Thoughts?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well that will interrupt the starting. Guessing you've ruled out battery, starter.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I’d try spraying deoxit on both ends of the wire that seems fine. The puff of smoke was probably a short. Could be the solenoid but that’s a pita so try to fix the wires even if they seem fine

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you check the fuses and connections on top of the battery? One of those wires or fuses may have burned up or blown.

zmon

TDI
2002 Jetta
I'll check the wires / fuses on the battery.

Is there a specific part name for the wire which connects from the solenoid to the clutch switch? Or do I have to just get wire and solder it up? That wire is for sure pooched.

Thanks guys.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
It's not a separate part. Folks have used copper pipe, flattened out and drilled (for terminals): be sure to shield properly so you don't ground out.

That said, however, I'd be looking to pull the starter to assess its overall health. Pulling it apart and cleaning and dabbing with some grease goes a long way in having a more responsive starter. And, you just might find that your brushes are crap; better to deal with all this ONCE and be done.