Adding an aux input

rand442002

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I own an '04 Jetta TDI and I'd like to try and add an aux input into the car but I'm not to sure how to do it and I'm not sure if I even can do it with what I've got. I have the factory monsoon sound system installed in the car and I don't have a CD changer. To my knowledge there has been no work done on my cars audio system so it should all be what came from the factory. We're fixin to take a road trip in December and I'd like to be able to listen to my Zune but my wife has got an Ipod so I need something that we'll both be able to use :)

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
The USA Spec iPod unit has an aux input on it. I've never used the AUX feature, but it works pretty seamlessly for iPod.

Here's the product info.

I had mine installed by these guys, who are in Atanta and do neat custom work, but they ship for you to install as well.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
usaspec

+1
I have usaspec in my 2003 Jetta w/Monsoon. Works perfect. I like the fact it has a 2nd input should I want a Sat radio or whatever in the future

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
You don't need a CD changer. All you need is a vehicle that CAN have one... I'm positive the 04 has the capability. Check your trunk, left side, there's should be a wall in the carpet that you can pull down. That's where the CD changer goes should you ever buy one.

As for the AUX hookups that require the CD changer port, you simply take out your radio unit, unplug the CD changer wiring from the radio (which runs to the trunk), and then plug in the AUX unit. Figure out where to put everything behind the radio, and where to run the wire out. That's the hardest part. Plugging the unit in is easy.

I did mine myself with a blitzsafe unit from ebay (70 bucks). However, I got a ipod interface, which won't work with a Zune. Blitzsafe does sell AUX options though. Check them out, and more importantly email them, cause it's different for car make/model/year.

To take your radio unit out, you need a set of 4 radio keys. Go on ebay. Couple bucks.

This is an easy DIY project. I did it myself and have ZERO experience with modding a car's auido set up. The wires can be easily fed out through the passenger side... or you can do what I did and make a hole in the spacer above the radio. That way you have no wiring dangling anywhere.

Then get yourself a couple of proclips (google)... hehe... expensive... but sleek.

Last edited: