2006 Jetta TDI CAM Replaced!

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I finally got around to replacing my camshaft after noticing copper streaks in the underside of the valve cover.
And when I tried to adjust my torsion to anything above 0.0 I would get loud valve a train slapping noise.
So I with a Colt Cam Stage 2 from KermaTDI and started/finished the job last Friday.
The old camshaft was worn, but not where I was expecting it!
I was shocked to find a rear stretch bolt on the #Cam Bearing Cap was in two pieces....
Some quick thinking and an extractor drill bit walked it out without any metal filings!
All of the injector lobes had deep pitted wear marks... and the rockers/rollers were in pristine condition.
What would cause this type of wear?
Also, the cam dropped in 100k miles ago by a previous owner had no chamfer to speak of! This is what caused the cut grooves into some of the lifter faces.

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Bump.
Car has been running great and my intermittent hot start issue is gone!
I also changed out my cracked oil pan for a hybrid pan over the weekend.
Does anyone have any advice on that injector lobe wear posted above?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Such wear has been observed on aftermarket replacement cams. If you search the forums, you'll definitely find the same/similar pics.
Are you owning the car since brand new? Any history of cam replacement in the past?

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The camshaft was replaced by the original owner at 100k.
I bought the car with 208k miles on the odo from the second owner.
Ended up fixing all oil the leaks and also replaced the timing belt/waterpump/tenstioner.
I was just worried about the injectors, and the rockers/rollers were in pristine condition.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
One of the cam brg caps bolts was broke? wow.. not good, with the marginal holding capacity of the design, I could see that cam walking/moving all over in there from the injector pressures.

Lucky that didn't take out the whole engine. good thing you did the cam.

Generally speaking...Its not a bad ides to go back in via VC and give it a once over on these cam jobs. Recheck everything even see how the cam is wearing.

Last edited: