*sad face* someone hit my parked car

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
*sad face* someone hit my parked car ... TWICE

1996 Passat B4V wagon.
Yeah. While I was working a long 48 hour shift with EMS, and my car was parked in a public place, someone apparently (drunkenly?) backed into my wagon. TWICE (!!).... I mean, how does someone actually hit BOTH sides??!!
In what I imagine was the first hit they took out the driver's side front bumper's blinker, fog light, and reflector... The second hit stuck the passenger side fender, doing mild sheet metal damage to the fender and a little to the door. I am pretty good at paint work, but not very good at body work. It really isn't all that much damage, but that's not the point! And I know my paint already looked bad, but again that's not the point. I'm really sad they messed up my car's perfect body!
Of course all they left behind is a bit of paint on my fender.

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying a quality, economical replacement fender assembly?

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
At least there are fenders out there to be found...
https://www.nationalautobody.com/catalognab/product_info.php?cPath=3581_3625_7385&products_id=8942

I also had been planning on eventually having a high-quality body shop in mexico do all the paint work. Some of them are really really really good, and comparatively quite inexpensive... but I don't want a bondo-body. =)
Sorry to hear of this, it seems you can't have anything anymore without some jerk making a mess out of it.

Also, that color was very popular, so you might get lucky and find a used one in good shape in the green.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That sucks... any cameras nearby? I’m curious how the aftermarket panels fit. Personally, I’d look for used OE.

That fender doesn’t look bad. I’d bet it can be worked out.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I think I have 2 green front fenders I was going to scrap. I have most of the body parts for a green wagon, actually. They’re going to the scrapper soon as I need to clean out the barn to list the house for sale.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Hope you don't have to deal with insurance companies who want to total our B4s for the most minor damage. Good luck.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I have decided to just "grin and bear" it for a little while. <insert bear sounds>
the damage is more disappointing than actually all that bad, and I will have it repaired some time in the not to distant future. When Life gives you lemons, drink moar Tequila

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Good choice - I'd leave it alone, that way you'll fit in better when in Mexico. If you do decide to replace those panels make sure they're a different color. That seems to be popular there also.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Don't see why people are scared of it getting totaled. Take that money, repair what you can on the cheap and use the rest on that paint job.

Waiting till the end of the life of the vehicle for any payout from the insurance company is the fool's game. Get what you can sooner than later.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Only reason to be scared, is the rare case that popped up here recently where a car was totaled in a foreign state, and he wasn't allowed to buy his car back due to some retarded backwater laws.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Damage looks very minor. The car has failed clear coat anyway. I see zero reason to replace that fender as it can easily repaired. Rock it until you get your MX paint job.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
That’s a good thing but I have a ton of B4/V parts I’ll gladly give away vs tossing them.
Then congratulations and best wishes in your new location. I hope Ph1losopher sees your offer and accepts; but I'm sure shipping would be expensive, and obviously he has his own priorities and factors which play into his choice, most of which we are ignorant.

I also want to say how much I've appreciated your help and knowledge. I still have my 1998, but I haven't repaired it after the deer strike 5 or so years ago, because I've had other priorities: taking care of my parents in their last years, moving, recovering from a home flood from a faulty icemaker, my daughter's wedding, etc. But it's looking like I may be able to work on it sometime this winter/spring. I do want to get it back on the road, as it is a good car. So thanks again! You're one of the folks who makes tdiclub special.