What's with all these pickups and SUVs

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
It seems like they have taken over new vehicle sales at an average price of $35000. This is good for profits, so I see why dealers and mfgs. like them. The damn pickups are so high the average person can't reach into the bed without a ladder. There is a foot of clearance between the wheel top and the inside of the fender [could be 6" lower]. Also you need a side step to get into the cab. Do Americans need to ride high above our cars to feel superior? These are not gas milage champs at all. I guess fuel prices are way too low. I have always preferred a low to the ground high milage car. In my case what will not fit in the back of the hatchback goes in a trailer I can tow. Works for me!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am right there with you. I think it must be something about small penis size.

It has gotten quite ridiculous, but, when the regulations encourage this, and ban little 50 MPG cars, then.... :(

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A lot of the drivers LOVE them because of that height. And the mass of the vehicle. They like being above normal drive height so they can see better. They like the feeling of large mass because they feel protected.

This same driver also can't be bothered about how much it costs to fill the tank, nor what the cost per mile driven is. They just don't want to think about it. Raising fuel prices will have no effect on the decision process, what little there is to that process, as long as they can still make the minimum monthly payment on the card(s) and still make the rest of the payments they owe.

'Tis a sad state of affairs, I know, but it is the human race.

I am going to get a pick-'em'up truck soon. As soon as I can build it, anyway. Going to pick up the build kit tomorrow. Yay! This project is finally getting started.

Cheers,

PH

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
That's why I got an e-Golf. VW seemed willing to assist me in purchasing a new vehicle that doesn't need to stop a fuel stations by knocking 10K off the sticker. I believe they were trying to clear them off the lots to make room for more Atlas models which seem to have high sales figures based on some documents I was reading prior to picking up the e-Golf.