Alternator Fault: Battery is not being charged

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
This is the message that just popped up on the dash when my wife started our '013 Q7 - no prior issues at all; based on battery life, we were planning on replacing the battery this fall, as recommended by our local mechanic (Audi dealer had recommended replacing it in February, when it was performing cold starts just fine). Also, wife reports the car starts, but steering wheel won't turn - this occurred simultaneous to getting the warning light! So the car will drive straight forward and backward, but can't turn the wheel. So she is waiting on AAA.

Any ideas? I sure don't want to have to replace the alternator if it doesn't need it. We were planning on replacing the battery, which will need it, but started her on the coldest day of the year (-22) in Chicago, and the steering thing is simply bizarre. She claims she jiggled the key every which way to try and unlock the wheel, to no avail. Local mechanic has alternator for $559 if it needs it as opposed to $1,200 for Audi, and if it needs an alternator, will replace battery, alternator, and belt for $998 with a break on labor (Audi wanted $600 just to replace the battery alone).

-Just want to make sure we turn over every stone, before a slew of new parts puts us in the poorhouse. Any other (hopefully far more minor) issues that could turn on the alternator fault notice, or lock the steering? Also anyone know what the factory warranty was on these? We only have 44k miles.

Tom

Last edited:

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
The drive belt broke.

Cautiously optimistic that's it - there were no dimming of lights, accessories etc, as are tell-tale when the alternator is failing; if the belt powers the power steering pump also, that would explain why she wasn't able to turn the wheel-fingers crossed.......

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I mean seriously, in a fraction of the time it took to type that, someone could have opened the hood and looked. ?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
I mean seriously, in a fraction of the time it took to type that, someone could have opened the hood and looked. ?

The good news is as I suspected it isn't the alternator. A $60 belt failed because -and here's the bad news - the crankshaft pulley failed and mechanic called around and evidently there are no aftermarket pulleys or rebuilds so we have to buy one from Audi for $450. :mad:

Had mechanic call Audi to see if the pulley failure qualifies under the dieselgate warranty as part of the long block - mechanic contacted Audi but evidently it isn't considered part of the long block but an accessory - mechanic verified he would regard it as an accessory, also. So better off than initial worst case but still have to fork over $$ unless I can convince Audi otherwise. Bottom line - before I start chasing windmills with Audi, any opinions as to whether the crankshaft pulley should be considered to be part of the long block, or whether it is generally regarded as an accessory?

Tom

trae

Veteran Member
TDI

SubhasR

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI Prestige
This is the message that just popped up on the dash when my wife started our '013 Q7 - no prior issues at all; based on battery life, we were planning on replacing the battery this fall, as recommended by our local mechanic (Audi dealer had recommended replacing it in February, when it was performing cold starts just fine). Also, wife reports the car starts, but steering wheel won't turn - this occurred simultaneous to getting the warning light! So the car will drive straight forward and backward, but can't turn the wheel. So she is waiting on AAA.

Any ideas? I sure don't want to have to replace the alternator if it doesn't need it. We were planning on replacing the battery, which will need it, but started her on the coldest day of the year (-22) in Chicago, and the steering thing is simply bizarre. She claims she jiggled the key every which way to try and unlock the wheel, to no avail. Local mechanic has alternator for $559 if it needs it as opposed to $1,200 for Audi, and if it needs an alternator, will replace battery, alternator, and belt for $998 with a break on labor (Audi wanted $600 just to replace the battery alone).

-Just want to make sure we turn over every stone, before a slew of new parts puts us in the poorhouse. Any other (hopefully far more minor) issues that could turn on the alternator fault notice, or lock the steering? Also anyone know what the factory warranty was on these? We only have 44k miles.

Tom

We had a similar problem also. About a month ago my wife and son were driving from home (Albany, NY) to Grand Rapids, MI. About 400 miles into trip (London, On) area a message popped up on the dash "Alternator not Charging", then a few minutes later all the electronic systems shut down stranding her on the highway. She got towed to closet Audi dealer. After diagnostics it was determined the Alternator Pulley had Seized ! She had to leave car there and get rental to make it to Grand Rapids to my other Son's college graduation. Out of pocket cost for this mishap is around $2K (Towing, Rental and fix). She picked the car up on the way back home.

We had the Diesel fix completed in Jan-19.
A week before the trip we had an issue with the (1) Faulty Reductant Cap Switch and (2) a sporadic fault code for thermostat. The CS10 thermostat was replaced.

On the way home from we had another failure !! this time the EGR cooler failed and stranded her about 100 miles from home !! Another tow and another stay in the dealer. (this time the dealer car was purchased at)

Audi has covered the Cap Switch and EGR cooler under the emissions warranty but refuses to budge on the alternator and the CS10 thermostat. The only offer is a lousy $500 gift card for our troubles.

To me an alternator does not fail after 5 years and 66K miles, that doesn't seem right. Work was performed on the CS10 thermostat replacement is in the vicinity of the alternator. The oil filter housing (thermostat sits in this) was replaced (P/N 05911538P). This sits on the engine behind serpentine belt, could they have accidentally done something to belt and alternator during service?

We've never had an issue with this car until diesel fix!!

Any help would be helpful !

Thanks
Subhas