Greasecar: Pros and cons?

sage

TDI
Jetta wagon 2003
I am a newbie to this whole scene, and have observed a range of opinions on this subject, with a viper's nest just under the surface sitting on top of the whole climate change debate!

What are the pros and cons, all politics aside? Is it possible to get a definitive answer, or is the variation in engine types and fuel types an endless balancing act?

I am going to take a look at a grease car hopefully this weekend
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/1725715340.html
What things should I look for and questions should I ask?

Geoff

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Look in the next forum down: Alternate fuels.

Many ruined engines from the use of grease, with a (very) few success stories.

Bottom line comes down to you have to be absolutely anal about the car you use in the selection, treatment, and operation of car on grease. Beyond most folks abilities/patience levels.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think beyond anal is the right thought here. What I mean by that is really no one else can run your car. I think it is on the level of complexity of that of an old Stanley Steamer. Have you seen Jay Leno start one of his steam cars up from cold? That gives you a great analogy of the attention required. If you are thinking of saving some dough, well....I think you will only save until the motor goes...

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
I bought a system ran it for a couple years had it removed. I still have the car runs fine but grease is too messy and time consuming to do right. Go to the alternative fuels section it is heavily debated there.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
The car looks like a very good buy. The mileage is not that high and wagons are pretty rare. Since the Greasecar system has been disconnected, you will probably have to clean out the tank and flush the lines and valves prior to using it.

Some of the opinions above are a bit exagerated. Many people have had great success with Greasecar kits, particularly in Jettas of about that vintage. It does require some work and diligence, and you need a supply of vegetable oil.

I will bump a thread titled something like "Should You Run WVO" up and you should read it before deciding. Also read a long one by T'sTDI; I think it is a sticky. He is extremely cautious.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
leicaman said:
I think beyond anal is the right thought here. What I mean by that is really no one else can run your car. I think it is on the level of complexity of that of an old Stanley Steamer. Have you seen Jay Leno start one of his steam cars up from cold? That gives you a great analogy of the attention required. If you are thinking of saving some dough, well....I think you will only save until the motor goes...
Have you ever seen one? you think your TDI has torque think again, I think the steamer was the first car to either climb Mt Washington or race up Pikes Peak I forget.

They are amazing machines and great to see in person, I've never been to the Meuseum in Kingfield Maine, but I've seen them in many parades, nearly 100% silent and just like an electric motor, they have 100% torque from a stop, and the horn is killer to bad they came with 3" wide tires stock, haha.