TDI Truck in Germany?

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Haven't there been VW trucks in Germany & Europe from the 80's on?

Is anyone here familiar with the US 25 year rule?
I believe the epa is giving exceptions for importing vehicles 25 years old or older?

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
92 volkswagen DoKa Diesel
I am aware that it is Possible to import this truck and have it street legal!
Does anyone have any idea where to find an exporter from Germany?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There have been Volkswagen trucks in Germany since the 1950s.

Due to the Chicken Tax, the last year any were imported was 1971.

There are some rules that allow for them to be brought in somehow, because there are some here, mostly T3 Dokas, and even a few LTs. L80s were imported from Brazil for a few years, but were sold under Peterbilt and Kenworth badges. I do not know all the logistics involved with getting them here though if they were not originally sold here.

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
I just imported a Suzuki Mini truck, and it is street legal!
The EPA now allows a 25 year old vehicles to be imported with out the crash tests and Pollutant test!

Now that I found this out instead of the little 660cc truck, I want a TDI!
So my question is, what did they have in Germany in 92 for a VW Diesel truck?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In 1992 you could have purchased:

a Caddy, which is a Golf-based small truck or van (similar to a Transit Connect),

a Taro (which was just a rebadged Toyota HiLux pickup),

a T4 based single cab or double cab truck (the T4 was sold here on and off in passenger-only versions under the name Eurovan),

an LT based single or double cab truck (the LT was Volkswagen's full sized cabover van, sold from 1975 to 1996 (it was replaced in 1997 with a rebadged version of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, with a Volkswagen engine, and when that model was revamped, VAG renamed their version the Crafter).

Now keep in mind, the T4 and LT based trucks were not as much a traditional "pickup" but more a flatbed truck with drop side gates, similar to all the Transporter based trucks prior. And the big L80 was of course available, but that is a big cabover straight truck or tractor/trailer (small load). While the L80 rides on a big frame, the cab was taken from the LT.

Volkswagen did not ever have their own traditional pickup truck in the sense that we in the US think of a pickup (RWD/4WD, longitudinal mounted engine up front, full ladder frame, live rear axle) until the Amarok came out in 2010.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
In 1992 you could have purchased:

a Caddy, which is a Golf-based small truck or van (similar to a Transit Connect),

a Taro (which was just a rebadged Toyota HiLux pickup),

a T4 based single cab or double cab truck (the T4 was sold here on and off in passenger-only versions under the name Eurovan),

an LT based single or double cab truck (the LT was Volkswagen's full sized cabover van, sold from 1975 to 1996 (it was replaced in 1997 with a rebadged version of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, with a Volkswagen engine, and when that model was revamped, VAG renamed their version the Crafter).

Now keep in mind, the T4 and LT based trucks were not as much a traditional "pickup" but more a flatbed truck with drop side gates, similar to all the Transporter based trucks prior. And the big L80 was of course available, but that is a big cabover straight truck or tractor/trailer (small load). While the L80 rides on a big frame, the cab was taken from the LT.

Volkswagen did not ever have their own traditional pickup truck in the sense that we in the US think of a pickup (RWD/4WD, longitudinal mounted engine up front, full ladder frame, live rear axle) until the Amarok came out in 2010.
The Caddy van was not available in 1992, not until 1996 when VW bought Seat and got hands on their van, the Inca.
The Caddy from 92 is a mk1 Golf pickup.

I would buy a T4 Transporter, but they did not get a TDI engine until a few years later. In 92 I think the only diesel option would be a 2.4 litre 5-cyl. Or a 1.9td. Both pretty underpowered but that can be fixed.

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Ok how about pics of the T4 with the 1.9 td? Double or cab and a half?
Are they front wheel drive with the engine n trans up front?
Or they under the bed? That makes a difference to me, I need the truck bed!
Size isn't as much a difference! I have a 98 Isuzu Cab over for my truck, but have been working out of my 03 Jetta sport wagon! (9mpg vs 39)
I just imported a 91 Suzuki Cary, the cab is VERY tiny!

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ah the let me google that for you site. Nice oilhammer. It's not an insult or anything. :D

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Not at all, thanx, been there already!
My question should have been about the motor?
I assume the engine is a Std diesel or manual injected diesel?
Not a true TDI?
More like my 95 1.6 Turbo diesel? It was an Eco transplant, not impressed!

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Not at all, thanx, been there already!
My question should have been about the motor?
I assume the engine is a Std diesel or manual injected diesel?
Not a true TDI?
More like my 95 1.6 Turbo diesel? It was an Eco transplant, not impressed!
That's right, a mechanical turbo diesel is what you can hope for looking at 1992 era Transporters. It is possible to get more power from them by just adjusting fuel and boost.
You'd have to wait 3-4 years to be able to find TDI powered T4 Transporters that are 25 years old.
The T4's are still popular and quite pricey.

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
OK I have a Canadian 97 Jetta wagon with the 1.9 turbo in it! But it is Not a TDI!

What year did the start the TDI in the T4?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I had a 97 Panel Van (complete wall separating the back and front)

No windows, just panels so it was very dark in the cargo area with the doors closed.

I had a 2.5 person bench seat.

I really liked the way it drove. It smooth was like a car. It could handle 3000 lbs of cargo without complaining.

The 2.4 NA 5 cyl Diesel was okay but it took about 20 minutes to get to 60 mph.

Very capable work truck! Stick a turbo on it and it would be great!

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Interesting?
I had just read that the 96 had the 1.9 TDI but I didn't see it say Turbo?
I did see the 2.5 but didn't know it was a 5 cyl?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I wish mine had a 1.9 TDI. It had a 2.4 5 Cyl. and could have used a turbo.

I came close to going the turbo route but in the end I just sold it as my business needs changed. We went to way of the Honda SUV :( but at least it is predictable.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
http://orchideuro.com/ is well known. If you do the research, which I have done a lot of, you can easily import it yourself. I want to import a Taro, the only killer is the Chicken Tax (thanks LBJ). 25% as opposed to cars at 2.5%.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
It is a Toyota. The Japanese made a deal with VW because they weren't selling as many as they would have liked to in Europe.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I've been thinking of getting a 2010 or so T5 brought over. It's super hard, but anything is possible. I'd love to have a 2.5 TDI 4 motion 6 speed manual... :)

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
The taro came with a 2.5 liter heilux diesel engine. Literally one of the best motors ever made. It was proven in Top Gear. Washed away in the sea it was, then washed back, started up with a little wd-40.