2006 Jetta tdi a/c problem

curtis

TDI
When car is started the air conditioner does not blow cold air for approximately 5 to 6 minutes. The air is then normal. Is there a relay or something to check for this problem?

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Radiator fans not the a/c blower. Both fans should come on when you push the a/c button.

glandpuck

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG Pack2
I have a 2006 TDI that is 35 months old and the same problem has occurred. At first, it took a few blocks to cool, now it could take 2-3 miles before cool air comes on. Also, it seemed that we could switch the temps from cold to heat and back or turn off the AC and then back on to make it cool, but now that no longer does the trick. It seems this problem always happens when the car sits overnight. However, if it is running and we park for say 30-45 minutes, it is just fine. Any help would be appreciated. I have access to a VAG-COM.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
d2305 said:
Radiator fans not the a/c blower. Both fans should come on when you push the a/c button.
On the A5's with either Climatic or Climatronic the fans are directed to run by the ECU, and they do not start until the refrigerant pressure sensor calls for them to run. So some time after the clutch engages temperature will rise in the condenser, causing pressure to rise, the pressure sensor tells the ECU that pressure is rising, the ECU tells the controller on the large fan to start both fans and run at a certain rpm. Then the fans start moving.

This is not as failproof as the older setups where the fans ran in slow anytime the clutch was supposed to be engaged.

I believe I have seen another thread with a half dozen other A5 owners complaining of the same thing. If I recall correctly no cause or corrective action was determined.

I think that someone would have to look at the control signals on one of these problem vehicles in detail in order to determine where the delays are occurring. Is it control signal delays or actuator delays?

Inquiring minds want to know!

glandpuck

TDI
This morning, I tested out my fans. The car sat overnight. I started the car with the AC off. The fans were off. As soon as I turned on the AC, the fans started and the Ac was cool. No problem today. One observation though, today the outside ambient temp was in the high 70's. the problem seems worse (or more uncomfortable) when the temp is in the 90's.

glandpuck

TDI
I want to thank DanG144 for his generous contribution to my problem and generous gift of his time. Today, working with Dan, we hooked up the VAG-COM to my vehicle. There was an entry in the HVAC module called standing time. With the car cold from sitting overnight, this value was set to 04:00. The compressor pressures did not rise immediately with the AC turned on. The compressor pressures did rise after a couple of minutes and the fans came on and variably increased thier speeds as compressor pressure rose. Dan directed me to turn off the engine. We then waited about 3-4 minutes and re-started the vehicle. This time, the standing time value was shown as 00:00 and the compressor pressurized up quickly. Compressor pressures were up to 13.2 Nm and baseline about 9 Nm.
direct measurement from the high and low port with the engine off were 100. Low port, engine on = 100, High port engine on = 175 - 200.

Dan is further donating his time to interpret this data as the problem of "delayed Ac cooling on the A5" has been reported. As of now, one can only speculate if this is a feature of the AC system design or an abnormality.

TDI WGN

TDI
04 Jetta wgn
glandpuck said:
I want to thank DanG144 for his generous contribution to my problem and generous gift of his time. Today, working with Dan, we hooked up the VAG-COM to my vehicle. There was an entry in the HVAC module called standing time. With the car cold from sitting overnight, this value was set to 04:00. The compressor pressures did not rise immediately with the AC turned on. The compressor pressures did rise after a couple of minutes and the fans came on and variably increased thier speeds as compressor pressure rose. Dan directed me to turn off the engine. We then waited about 3-4 minutes and re-started the vehicle. This time, the standing time value was shown as 00:00 and the compressor pressurized up quickly. Compressor pressures were up to 13.2 Nm and baseline about 9 Nm.
direct measurement from the high and low port with the engine off were 100. Low port, engine on = 100, High port engine on = 175 - 200.

Dan is further donating his time to interpret this data as the problem of "delayed Ac cooling on the A5" has been reported. As of now, one can only speculate if this is a feature of the AC system design or an abnormality.
A wild guess here so take it for what it's worth but if the car sits for a period of time the refrigerant becomes a liquid as it gets cold and looses pressure. As the refrigerant warms up the liquid is boiling into gas and is able to be pumped safely. Perhaps the delay is safety feature to protect the compressor from pumping a non compressible liquid on cold start ups.

glandpuck

TDI
TDI WGN, except that this is a recently recurring problem, say for about the last 3 months and the vehicle is now 36 months old. so, something has changed from the factory behavior.

glandpuck

TDI
Working with DanG144, we have determined that there is a Stand Off time of 4:00 minutes in the AC system. When this is set or why it is set is not yet known. However, this time results in 4 minutes passing from the time the AC is turned on until the time cold air is blown out the vents. If the car is not hot, it may not be very noticeable. If the car is very hot in the Southern sun, then it is very noticeable. The 4 minute delay is removed under certain conditions, such as after the AC has been working properly, the car may be turned off for a variable period of time and the delay is not present. Sitting overnight usually results in the delay the next day.
For those persons having this problem, please record the elapsed time from turning on the AC (thermostat settings down near LO) to the onset of cold air. If we all are recording 4 minutes, then we know this is some kind of universal setting for some purpose, to be determined. Please report your results here and to DanG144.

glandpuck

TDI
Took out the car with the vag hooked up today. No AC for almost 7 minutes, then it came on and evap temp dropped and AC was cold down to 52 degrees. Can't yet figure out why it took almost 7 monutes to come on and then seemed to cool pretty well.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Well they called and said they were changing the comp. and the cabin filter. Lets hope this fixes it!

Lonnie

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Picked it up on the way home from work! It seems to be fixed but the noise is still there... He said the noise was the fly wheel!!!!! He said it was two piece? Not sure if thats true but I have to drop it back off sunday so he can do it on Monday. I am driving to Dallas in the morning so lets hope it makes it there.lol I need to either get the extended warranty or sell this thing before the warranty is up. Damn I love the mileage but not sure if its worth the repairs....

Lonnie

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
I have found that a system that is marginal low will cause this A/C problem. The one I had was a beetle.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
This damn car is for sale if any of you die hard TDI guys wants it! I'm done with it..... Please message me if interested! Thanks

Lonnie

Rkasbury

TDI
2015 New Beetle
2015 TDI New Beetle A/C Issue

I know this thread is old, but, just last week my 2015 TDI Beetle started doing this same thing. I just picked it up from the VW service and they told me this was normal. It was not “normal“ until last week. Has anyone found a solution to the issue?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I know this thread is old, but, just last week my 2015 TDI Beetle started doing this same thing. I just picked it up from the VW service and they told me this was normal. It was not “normal“ until last week. Has anyone found a solution to the issue?
Your 2015 is NOTHING like your 2015

hook up VCDS and report back with what you find with the AC. apparently new cars use ALL computer controlled and 100% of what you need to know about everything and how its working or NOT working is in VCDS.