Shell V-Power Premium Diesel

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I got a response from Shell!

Hi again Mike.

The cetane level of Shell V-Power Diesel will vary depending on a number of factors such as season and sources, but it will always exceed the CGSB standard of 40. Typical levels in Canada are in the 40 to 50 range and the cetane improver we add (to improve starting) will raise that by approximately one to two points.

There is no GTL component in the Canadian formulation of V-Power Diesel.

I hope this answers your questions, please let me know if you need more information.

By the way, VW had their new Jetta TDI at our media event in Toronto last week. Nice car.

So there you have it. I wouldn't say the fuel is significantly better than what you would get from any other station. Clearly it is not the same as European V-Power diesel which contains GTL derived diesel and probably has an average cetane rating around 50.

Still, I guess I'll run a tank through and see what happens. I suspect it's very comparable to using regular diesel along with an additive. That's basically what V-Power diesel is, in Canada.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
At least in Ontario where I lived before, as far as Diesel fuel is concerned, Sunoco Gold is the widespread favourite and Shell Ultra second. But all Diesel base stocks (speaking of southern Ontario here) come from a few refineries (Sarnia, Oakville, Montreal, etc.) and the respective additive packages added at the terminal. There's actually no guarantee that a certain branded fuel was actually refined by that company.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I filled my tank with Shell V-Power Diesel today.

It actually seems like the engine runs a little smoother. Not a huge difference, but the idle is a little smoother, and under light throttle at low RPM the engine seems less growly. Under heavy loads I can't tell if there's any difference. I'm running a stock ECU so the car is gutless. There might be a difference in a tuned car.

I'm assuming any differences I perceive are probably the result of the fuel having a higher cetane rating than what I was using before. They do claim it has a cetane boosting additive.

V-Power costs 3 cents per liter more than regular diesel, but I feel it is probably worth it since I don't have to muck about with adding my own cetane boosting additives (such as Powerservice)...

Last edited:

ve3hkq

TDI
2006 golf gls 5-speed
I filled up with it on Monday (I'll probably try 3 tankfuls for the airmiles :)). I'll see what my mileage is like and then decide if it's worth the $.03/litre.

I usually run Pioneer (Ontario people will know this one) diesel 'cause I have a station close to me that gets quite a bit of truck traffic - should be 'fresh' fuel :).

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I managed to burn through my first tank of V-Power and it seems to have given me more mileage than usual. Generally my low fuel light comes on at just over 900km. This time I refueled at 945km and the light was still not on, and the guage was not quite at empty!

I was about to take a long trip, so I had to refuel before the light came on...wasn't sure where I would find fuel where I was going.

I bought V-Power again, so I'll see what happens... The improved mileage could have been a coincidence.

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
I've noticed the same thing around here (winnipeg, mb) with the v-power diesel. My ALH is quieter with this fuel.

I'll report on my economy when i burn through this tank.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I finished my second tank and it returned 1055 km before the low fuel light came on! Usually that happens around 920 to 980. This is my best tank since purchasing the car new in January 2004.

The only thing I have changed is the fuel.

Out of convenience, I purchased Husky "Diesel Max" this time. That's what I usually use. I'll see if my mileage goes down...

I don't want to believe that the Shell V-Power should give better mileage...but it seems to, so far.

ronbros

TDI
1982 Isuzu coupe 1.8 Diesel
anybody know what the v-power cetane additive is by chemical name, or is this secret spy stuff?

Thx Ron

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Don't know for sure what's in V-Power specifically, but most off-the-shelf additive cetane improvers use 2-ethyl hexyl nitrate (EHN).

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
good diesel fuel

Mike_04GolfTDI said:
http://www.shell.ca/home/content/ca-en/shell_for_motorists/fuels/vpower_diesel/dir_vpower_diesel.html

Shell Canada launches Shell V-Power™ Diesel premium fuel

16 Jul 2008
</IMG>Calgary, Alberta - Shell Canada Products today launched its new premium diesel, Shell V-Power™ Diesel. The only premium diesel fuel available coast to coast, Shell V-Power™ Diesel offers Shell’s best-ever engine-cleaning technology in a diesel fuel that is tailored to Canadian driving conditions and today’s modern diesel vehicles.

Shell V-Power™ Diesel has more than three times the detergency technology of Shell Canada’s previous premium diesel to help clean fuel injectors for better engine protection. For use in all diesel-powered engines, Shell V-Power™ Diesel is designed to deliver improved combustion performance.

As well, Shell V-Power™ Diesel is specially formulated for year-round Canadian weather conditions with benefits such as:
  • Cetane improver for quicker ignition and better cold-weather starting
  • De-icer additive to actively help prevent the formation of ice in fuel tanks and lines to help cold weather starting and running
  • Corrosion inhibitor to help prevent corrosion of steel and alloy parts in fuel systems
“Manufacturers are introducing new models of advanced diesel vehicles to Canada, citing excellent fuel economy and better pulling power,” says David Dollard Saint-Laurent, General Manager, Shell Canada Retail Sales and Operations. “All fuels are not the same and it’s time diesel drivers enjoyed the benefits of Shell’s expertise as a leader in fuels technology.”
Consumers who want to learn more about Shell V-Power™ Diesel or find the nearest location where it’s available should visit
</IMG>www.shell.ca/diesel.
i wish i could fine some good diesel here all we have in my area is hess and bp on the bp pump it said 40 celane min. :(

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdijerry said:
i wish i could fine some good diesel here all we have in my area is hess and bp on the bp pump it said 40 celane min. :(
If you just add some "Power Service" or similar cetane booster to your regular fuel, you'll have essentially the same thing as the premium diesel.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Filled up with Shell Premium Diesel this evening - NW Houston

I just bought 2009 Jetta TDI. I've been reading through the responses to this thread. I just filled up with Shell Premium Diesel at the station on Highway 6 and Pebble Lake Drive (between Huffmeister and West on Highway 6) here in NW Houston. At $3.98 per gallon it was $0.16 cheaper than another Shell station about 2/3 mile away.

j...

dsimmelink

TDI
2009 Blue Graphite Metallic Jetta TDI Sedan
jaydogg007 said:
I just bought 2009 Jetta TDI. I've been reading through the responses to this thread. I just filled up with Shell Premium Diesel at the station on Highway 6 and Pebble Lake Drive (between Huffmeister and West on Highway 6) here in NW Houston. At $3.98 per gallon it was $0.16 cheaper than another Shell station about 2/3 mile away.

j...
I myself just bought a new Jetta TDI. About 2 months into it now and 3500 miles. I am new to diesels so I don't know what to expect performance wise yet.

So we still have NO answers as to the cetane rating of Shell V-Power diesel?? I guess even if I use this fuel I should continue adding my Power Service additive?? Sheesh... sadly I wish I lived in Europe so I know what I'm putting into my damn tank.

IN-TDI

TDI
2009 Jetta
Fuel for winter

NB_TDi said:
Well I use it and I could care less what the cetane rating is. I add power service every fillup, no matter what fuel I use.
As I am also new to diesels (as others in this thread) I have a few basic questions as we move into winter here in Indiana. What exactly do you mean by "power service" when you fill? Are some additives better than others? What about B05? That is suppose to be acceptable for the 09's and also has a higher cetane, right? Should we use this instead? Should I target a specific detane rating? I am a little concerned about the gel potential mostly, although there are some short distance runs that we make as well and it sounds as if a higher cetane is better for that. Any clarification would be helpful.

Last edited:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Power Service (and other brands) are aftermarket additives that are supposed to improve cetane (how much improvement is unknown) and keep things clean, prevent 'crud' etc. Some swear by these additives, many get along very well without them - your choice. The small percentages that are recommended to add to a tankful of fuel cannot possibly change the cetane very much.
B5, while it theoretically improves the cetane a little, doesn't do very much at 5% concentration and does nothing for the gel point in extreme cold (@+15 F). Only winterized fuel (a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel) does very much for the gel point and cold weather running.:cool:

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
Just wanted to report back on the Shell V-Power Diesel...

I ran it for two fillups on my golf a while back and saw a ever so slight increase in efficiency, but to me, not worth the 4 cent per liter premium... were talking 1 mpg here.

Locally, i've always have had good performance from Co-Op diesel fuel.

Just my 2 cents.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
bmccrea said:
Just wanted to report back on the Shell V-Power Diesel...

I ran it for two fillups on my golf a while back and saw a ever so slight increase in efficiency, but to me, not worth the 4 cent per liter premium... were talking 1 mpg here.

Locally, i've always have had good performance from Co-Op diesel fuel.

Just my 2 cents.
Strange, V-Power costs the same as regular diesel from other stations. Here of course.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I think in the next year Japan will offer diesels that have 16 to 1 compression. Maybe they will require cetane levels over 50.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
The 2.2 diesel sold in UK (Civic) has a 16.7:1 ratio. There is also a 16.3:1 version in the Accord. Low by VAG standards.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The `09 common-rail TDI has a compression ratio of 16.5:1. Toyota has had its Diesel 2.2 D-CAT for several years with a compression ratio of only 15.8:1.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
LOL you must always have the last word, even if you're incorrect, don't you? :D

The aim of the development of the 2.0-l-4V-TDI engine was to comply with the future Euro 5 emission standard, with the increased demands in terms of the emission of nitrogen oxides and the simultaneous minimisation of the emission of CO2. This is achieved with the new 2.0-l-4V-TDI engine, in addition to the reduction of compression to 16.5:1...
Source: The New 2.0-l-4V-TDI Engine with Common Rail Modern Diesel Technology from Volkswagen

Authors: Jens Hadler, Falko Rudolph, Hermann-Josef Engler and Sven Röpke

MTZ 11|2007 Volume 68

You can choose between information directly from VW development heads in a respected peer-reviewed engine journal, or Wikipedia -- your choice. :rolleyes:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Mercedes CDI is 16.5/1. Gets hot enough to cold start by spinning with the starter and by careful fuel management via the pizeo injector system (+ glow plugs but NO block heater).

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Mercedes CDI - does your manual have a min Cetane requirement - my Bently shows 51 for 2006, 2005 shows 49.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
All reported CR for Vw's, other than the single engine you quote, have been in the realm of 18:1. Believe it or not, the 1.9 versions are still on sale.