Disaster

tbeetle

TDI
Golf, S TDi 1999, Silver
Having had the classic window falling into my passenger door. (British spec.) I bought the kit from VW and replaced the mechanism on saturday morning. No problem.

When I reassembled everything in order I refitted the door lock etc. Unwisely, without checking I closed the passenger door and disaster. The door will not open again. I checked the pull cable attached to the internal lever handle and it seems loose compared to its action before I started. I got to this by carefully prising off the internal panel again.
Even pulling the cable will not release the door. Movement of the external handle and the cable pull do not seem to connect although there is movement between the two. I did reseat the cable connection at the external handle. How do I get in?. Whats wrong? I am stuck with a car I cannot get into. The electric lock works, everything else responds as it should. What is the problem and how do I get into the door again if ever.....

Thanks.

Robble

TDI
Golf GL TDI, 1995, Red
Sorry to hear about your problem.
We had a similar problem a few months ago with my Dad's MkII Golf. Something broke in the latch itself and it wouldn't open. Eventually I managed to open it by poking a bit of welding rod between the rubber seal and the door and pushing the part of the latch that makes it release the door /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Now, I have a MkIII golf and I think the latch is fairly similar, but if memory serves I think the door is shaped such that it would be very difficult to do the same thing. Not sure about your beetle (I presume you have a beetle judging by your name), but it might be worth a look. Try clambering in through the other door, pull the rubber back as much as you can and shine a torch in, see what you can see and whether you can prod it with something. Mind your paintwork though! /images/graemlins/eek.gif