My VW Sharan Carat 130 TDI UK Model

platy

TDI
VW Sharan, Carat 130bhp
Hi all,
Here is my 2002 Sharan, not sure if they are available in the US, there are 3 models, the SE/Sport and the Carat, mine is the Carat, here are the specs..

1.9 TDi (130bhp)
6sp manual
leather
front and rear climate control
twin aircon
eberspacher diesel heater, (leave the heat on all night in the cold)

It is converted to carry my 4yr old who is in a wheelchair, but usualy comes with 7 seats.

Mods so far.

Air suspension for lowering ride height,
custom exhaust,
3/4 floorpan reconstruction, with S/S sills and floor,

I am more than happy with it, we get on average 50mpg at 80mph.

The Pics..

The Bug in the back ground is our 2.0 man.

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Nice ride Platy. We do not get the Sharan or the new Touran in the USA. For some reason our "minivans" are in a contest to see who's can be the largest, and we don't get a practical size any more. I would love to see the new Touran, as I think it would be an ideal size for city and cross country touring for two retirees. Guess it will take $3.00 - $4.00/gallon for fuel before we Yankees learn to be more practical.
Jim

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Ibiza Sport 130hp TDI Black
The Sharan cannot be sold in the US for legal reasons. The VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra/Ford Galaxy are essentially the same car and are the result of a joint venture between Ford and VW. They are all built at a plant in Portugal, run by Seat for the joint venture. Part of the deal with Ford is that none of the cars can be exported to the US. Can't really see why not though but there must be a good reason.