List of North American mk3 bulbs (LED upgraders).

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Would B8.3D fit also?
What’s the difference between B8.5D, B8.4D, B8.3D ?
I'm just basing my estimations off of the pictures found in the link, but I would say probably not. The B8.5D might possibly fit, but it's design is slightly different that the 8.4. It has a longer squarer body than the 8.4, and the locking tabs are solid instead of open.

The 8.3 has the longer squarer body, different connections, and different locking tabs, so I don't think they would work.

Again, I'm not basing this description off of personal experience yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Ordered 4x B8.4D (I think these shine as spotlights from above down onto the tach and speedo), and 10x B8.3D (I think these light up the icons along the bottom edge of the cluster such as “coolant low”, “oil low”, “battery”, “glow plugs”, “brake”, “check engine”, “srs airbag”, etc)...

Last edited:

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Ordered 4x B8.4D (I think these shine as spotlights from above down onto the tach and speedo), and 10x B8.3D (I think these light up the icons along the bottom edge of the cluster such as “coolant low”, “oil low”, “battery”, “glow plugs”, “brake”, “check engine”, “srs airbag”, etc)...

When I had my dash apart last week, there were two that go in the top shining down (2.0w), and two lower wattage (1.1w) ones that go behind the clock and odometer. Which color did you go with?

One thing I might add, is that on the other thread, somebody mentioned some of the warning lights have constant power, so they tend to light up the LED's when they are installed as warning lights. It might have only been the airbag light though, just something to note when you install them.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
When I had my dash apart last week, there were two that go in the top shining down (2.0w), and two lower wattage (1.1w) ones that go behind the clock and odometer. Which color did you go with?
White for the B8.4D up top shining down.

White for the B8.3D also - these bulbs I ordered by mistake, after I read the post on vwvortex it said these B8.3D bulbs are used in the cluster to light up the indicator lights, I misunderstood that statemebt to mean they are used to shine the light down from above when in fact they’re for backlighting the icons along the bottom edge!

some of the warning lights have constant power, so they tend to light up the LED's when they are installed as warning lights. It might have only been the airbag light though, just something to note when you install them.
For real. The LEDs are probably more prone to receiving the light pollution of its neighbors and lighting itself up, much more so than a filament bulb...

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
For those who doubt LED headlights are possible to beat energy wasting halogen and HID bulbs...
Watch this YouTube video review of the JDM ASTAR high low beam LED headlight bulb vs the OEM Halogen bulb, in OEM Reflector headlight housings (same type of reflector headlight housings we have on our mi3 vw!), by handy dad:
https://youtu.be/QcDq2SJyuZI

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
All you do is post links..... when are you buying a set?

-Todd

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
All you do is post links..... when are you buying a set?
I plan to order in 2 days (Monday) I’ll order a set of the HB1 9004.
I feel your impatience!
My point in posting that link to the YouTube video review of the JDM ASTAR high low beam LED vs the OEM Halogen bulb in Reflector housings, by handy dad, is because it’s super relevant to us mk3 owners with our stock OEM reflector headlight housings, when we wanna save massive wattage, don’t know which LED bulb to get, (and unsure if the fear uncertainty and doubt about LED headlights might be right, maybe LED headlights are impossible by the laws of physics?! ).

Thank heavens, this video proves LED headlights will work fine in our OEM VW mk3reflector housings, as long as the LED bulb is designed with the LED light chips are located in the same physical point along the bulb shaft as the haligenfilanent, and point in the same 3Dvdirection as the original halogen bulb filaments are pointing, it works awesome, and saves a ton of alternator power headroom, as you see in the video!

My prediction: The JDM ASTAR 9004 set of 2 headlight bulbs are $25, $50, and $120, free shipping in case anyone’s wondering. Mark my words. The Chinese LED headlight bulb makers will update their bulb design and LED placement to match/copy JDM’s very good design, for $8, $18, and $40, free shipping.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The Jalopnik guys said (in a video) that they didn't think the change to LED headlight bulbs did all that much.

I'd post up a link but it don't remember where it was...

Steve

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
The newer C9 version ($22) came out this year Jan 2018 it performs a bit better than the more commonly available C6 which has been around for a few years.
Here’s a live test review of this new C9 in a reflector housing just like our MK3 cars have:
https://youtu.be/bZMnO8tSDbc
Skip to 6min 20sec if you want to get straight to the live test of the C9!LED headlights installed in the car and showing how they perform.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Okay. I'll post this one last time, because you don't seem to be following. All the LED links you keep posting have them installing the LED bulb into a projector style housing... Not a halogen. The latest video you linked to was the same thing.

For example: Toyota Highlander headlight.

He replaced the regular head light, which is seen on the right side of the light in this picture.

For reference: Mk3 Jetta headlight.

As you should be able to see, it is much more similar to the highbeam bulb location on the highlander headlights, not the low beam. Which means they are quite a bit different.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Just received the 2x “44mm festoon” LED bulbs today.
For upgrading the bulb in the driver’s side of the overhead dome light.
They’re well brighter than the old filament festoon bulb.
And they have a heat sink.

These LED 44mm festoon dome bulbs put out well more Lux than the filament, and make it MUCH easier to read a map and to see/find anything in the cockpit.
Compare :
filament 44mm festoon dome bulb:

LED 44mm festoon dome bulb

Two thumbs up for these LED 44mm festoon bulbs!

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Help, bad luck has come!! :(
Summary:
The LED 1157 with Samsung COB chip - the most expensive four bulbs ordered at $1.30 each free ship - (dual “filament” type) FAIL to work in the MK3 tail light brake light position... :(

Details:
1. These LED bulbs light up fine when connect directly to the car battery.
2. They light only in the expected polarity the positive on the bottom contacts the negative on the outer shell.
3. The polarity of the bulb holder base is correct, test with a digital voltmeter shows positive 12 Volts is present on the bottom contacts, the outer shaft pins are the negative ground.
4. With headlight switch ON and car OFF, (parking lights ON = rear tail light ON), when inserting LED bulb into the plastic bulb holder base, there is a brief flash ON, then OFF as you twist it a quarter turn clockwise into locked installed position. It should be LIGHT ON because parking lights power is ON.
Why no light for the tail light brake light even while 12 Volts is present?!

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Update about the upgrading the front and rear turn signals to LED bulbs:

In order for the turn signals to work with LED, you must do one of two things:
1. Modify the flasher relay (“191” is printed on top, located at relay position 6, the right hand side of the first row) to ignore the current sensed, or accept a lower value of current as normal, and NOT hyper flash aka flash at double speed as a means to tell the driver that an old school filament bulb is burned out. To modify the flasher relay you open it up and then either cut the shunt wire resistor, or shave it down narrower with a dremel tool, to increase its resistance.

2. Buy a new low cost flasher relay compatible with both obsolete filament bulbs AND today’s best choice higher brightness lower current LEDs. The generic relay type code is CF13 it’s available on ebay (or amazon etc) from China for $2. Use keywords “LED Flasher relay CF13” to find them on ebay.

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Positive news:
The 2.5 inch COB LED projector with “angel eye” (White halo ring) daytime running light ... works awesome.
Nice metal housing should work well as heat sink to the fog light.
Cost $15 a pair free ship.
Just the right diameter to fit the OEM rectangular area for factory fogs.
Of course you have to do some dremel cuts to get it to mount to your passive reflector located farthest inward from the front turn signals.
Best is to dremel cut a circle into the gray plastic back of your passive reflector for the fog to see through.