Turbo lag/no low end torque AFTER the turbo failure

jetpuck

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2011 Jetta TDI
:confused: The puzzle continues…
My turbo blew out 1/30/13 and I did fill out the survey. Basically, 4.5k miles, winter conditions, pretty common stuff from what I read. The dealer took care of me.
However…
Now that I've got the car back, and put on about 1,000 miles I've noticed that there is almost a 2 second delay when I put my foot on the gas to when the car starts to accelerate PLUS there's very little torque until about 2600 RPM.
This is occasionally combined with excess vibration coming from under the hood, from the engine, around 1400-1600 rpm.
Any of this related to the replaced turbo unit, or do you think this is random and unrelated?
Thanks.
Peter

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I'm thinking they didn't do it right and a return trip to the dealership is in order. Sorry about that!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully it's something simple. There are some smart folks on this board, maybe it can be diagnosed by someone before your trip to the dealership.

It would be helpful if there was a way to read codes in these cars without a trip to the dealership, in my Dodge truck I can cycle the key three times (without starting) and it will display all codes that are stored. Of course it's a dodge so there are always a few. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like the VNT isn't working properly and you're not developing boost as soon as you should be.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If the VNT isn't working as designed there should be a CEL, unless they also reprogramed the ECU which isn't likely.

actual boost != to boost demaned will cause a CEL real quick!

jetpuck

TDI
Thank you for all of your collective help. The car's at the dealer and they were able to recreate the problem. Once they report back, I'll post the answer for our collective education.
Thanks again one and all.
Peter

jetpuck

TDI
This isn't good. The dealer replaced my turbo. A week later its back in the shop with this turbo lag problem. After investigation, the dealer thinks that its a fuel problem.
The dealer has taken apart the fuel system, looking for loose particles. Its taken 3 days so far and they still haven't returned the car.
I hope others who have had their turbos replaced didn't have this problem...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like the scattergun approach to me.

They should be able to narrow it down by monitoring their scan tool on a test drive.

jetpuck

TDI
Well…this is bad. Turns out, the problem was NOT related to the turbo. Turns out I had a bad "fuel rail pressure regulator."
Which they replaced.
This begs the question - I've had two major mechanical problems (turbo and fuel rail) in less than 6k miles.
Do I have a lemon here?

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
Sorry for your trouble, but I sure wouldn't call a regulator a major mechanical issue.

The turbo issue should easily be resolved. I'm not worried about that long term. It seems they have identified the problem and are replacing with an improved turbo.

jetpuck

TDI
Sorry for your trouble, but I sure wouldn't call a regulator a major mechanical issue.
The turbo issue should easily be resolved. I'm not worried about that long term. It seems they have identified the problem and are replacing with an improved turbo.
OK…I'm panicking…I admit :rolleyes:. Cooler heads will prevail.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
OK…I'm panicking…I admit :rolleyes:. Cooler heads will prevail.
I can understand your concern. I would suggest documenting everything. Keep notes on how many days it's in the shop, who you talked to and the outcome of all visits. We tend to forget these details after time. I wish you luck with your car, please keep the group advised.

An remember, document, document, document! :)