Driver Gear Springs .vs Eibach Pro-kit

Rigger007

TDI
2010 Jetta 6MT
I'd like to put some sportier springs on my '10 Jetta and have some questions about the Driver Gear springs.

I know the ones for '10 Jetta's don't list the TDI under models, just 2.0 and 2.5 with either the 6MT or DSG. I'm concerned about spring rates with these, as Eibach makes a spring specifically for the TDI. Also I've noticed the MK6 Golf DG springs have two part numbers per wheelbase, 1 set for 2.0 and 2.5 with either transmission or the TDI with the 6MT, and another part number for the TDI with DSG. This leads me to believe there are some real differences between the engine/tranny weights that should be considered.

I wonder if VW decided one spring rate worked better for the gassers regardless of tranny and TDI/6MT, and that they only needed to increase it for the TDI/DSG combo. Would the springs for a MK5 2.0/2.5 with DSG be more appropriate for a TDI regardless of tranny, or would it be better to stick with the tranny specific springs even though It's a TDI not a 2.0/2.5

I'd love to hear from an Eibach tech on why they made a specific rate for the TDI. Thought I had read something in a forum from them somewhere but can't find it now.

Who has installed the DG springs, which transmission do you have, and which springs did you get? Are you happy? Do you have a skid plate and how much does that affect the performance?

Long post and lot's of questions I know, :)

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
Who has installed the DG springs, which transmission do you have, and which springs did you get? Are you happy? Do you have a skid plate and how much does that affect the performance?
I have DriverGear springs on my 2010 MKV TDI 6mt. I am not very happy with them. I got about a 3/4 inch drop and it seems to ride much rougher. I don't feel like the trade off was worth it. Please note this may be partially biased as I did put 18 inch wheels on about the same time so that does account for some of the rougher ride. I don't want my car slammed, but I want less gap between the tire and wheel well. I am going to buy something with a little more drop and possibly some Koni yellow shocks. I don't have a skid plate. I don't really see a need for it with just the DriverGear springs as the drop is minimal.

Rigger007

TDI
2010 Jetta 6MT
Sounds like we're looking for about the same thing in ride quality/looks. Have you thought about the Koni FSD shocks? I think the yellow's are a firmer sport shock and may be too firm for what you're looking for.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
I had a 2010 jetta 2.5 with the tiptronic and had Eibach Pro Kit on them with oem shocks. The ride was very very nice, sportier stance and mated with the oem shocks it almost maintained oem comfort quality but just a bit firmer, felt just right. So I sold my 2.5 but kept the springs because last time I checked on tirerack's website, the SKU number of Eibach was the same for the 2.5 and for the 2010 TDI. So as planned I bought my 2010 TDI with DSG and plan to put the Pro Kit on my TDI as they should be ok for this application.

By the way guys If you are interested in my Eibach Pro Kit I may cut you a deal as I am wanting to go even lower with my ride, if that is the case let me know, sent you a PM

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I had a 2010 jetta 2.5 with the tiptronic and had Eibach Pro Kit on them with oem shocks. The ride was very very nice, sportier stance and mated with the oem shocks it almost maintained oem comfort quality but just a bit firmer, felt just right. So I sold my 2.5 but kept the springs because last time I checked on tirerack's website, the SKU number of Eibach was the same for the 2.5 and for the 2010 TDI. So as planned I bought my 2010 TDI with DSG and plan to put the Pro Kit on my TDI as they should be ok for this application.

By the way guys If you are interested in my Eibach Pro Kit I may cut you a deal as I am wanting to go even lower with my ride, if that is the case let me know, sent you a PM
PM sent, Please reply via email. Thx!

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
18" rims/tire greatly effect ride character / comfort

The VW Driver's Gear branded "lowering springs" for the MkV chassis cars is Eibach production. The ride / comfort character of these units is nearly equal or the same as the stock ride height units. Slightly firm'er some NA owners say..

The reduction in ride/ comfort character you experience is due to the significant reduction in tire side wall dimension. The factory has (VWAG) optimized the MkV chassis for 17 inch wheels/tires,,, that's not to say the marketing departments around the world haven't had there way, 2 cents , with 18" wheel offerings.

I have DriverGear springs on my 2010 MKV TDI 6mt. I am not very happy with them. I got about a 3/4 inch drop and it seems to ride much rougher. I don't feel like the trade off was worth it. Please note this may be partially biased as I did put 18 inch wheels on about the same time so that does account for some of the rougher ride. I don't want my car slammed, but I want less gap between the tire and wheel well. I am going to buy something with a little more drop and possibly some Koni yellow shocks. I don't have a skid plate. I don't really see a need for it with just the DriverGear springs as the drop is minimal.

Last edited: