A3 shifter selector on transmission

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
I have a 98 Jetta TDi 5spd. I am looking at removing the shift mechanism on top of the transmission. I am having a hard time getting the car into 1st gear. I noticed the shaft leading into the transmission has for aft and side to side play. I want to remove the two bolts holding down the shift mechanism.

Can this be done safely? I would like to change the bearing or bushing on the selector shaft.

If you can direct me to a link,or a manual transmission repair guide, I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
I went to VW parts and was able to optain a copy of their parts manual with a break down of internals of the selector shaft and it components. I proceeded to remove the two bolts holding down the shift mechanism and remove it. I was able to remove the shaft and found the guide in the bottom of the tranny that the shaft rotates in broken. Bummer.

Now I am looking at removing the transmission and tearing it down.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Last edited:

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
I went to a VWCity in Atlanta, and Brian had a used tranny that he has been robbing parts off of, and he sold me a replacement selector shaft support. I put it in along with the selector shaft and the retainer. The shifter moves smoothly through the gears (static). I will get some oil tomorrow and service the tranny.
Ed

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
The Bomb is serviced and the shifter adjusted. We are rolling!!!! Isn't she a beauty?!!!

CLASSIC

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
I will update some photos this weekend. The car was originally black. The previous owner went with the silver. I have replaced the hood and driver side fender with black. It really adds to the character of the car.

Ed.