Impending disaster?

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
At 80K, I replaced the timing belt in my 2002 Jetta TDI, but it wasn't until afterwards that I learned it would have been better to replace all the rollers and the water pump. I installed the basic DieselGeek kit, which means only the tensioner was replaced: no waterpump or rollers.

Yeah, I shoulda known better. I just haven't had the time keep up on everything posted on this great website.

Here I sit at almost 120K, and I'm getting nervous. I know I can check the water pump for seepage, but is there a way to regularly monitor the condition of the rollers? What early signs of failure should I look for? Metal filings around the bolts?

The car's running great (especially after this month's intake cleaning) and it makes no noticeable noise above and beyond the usual diesel chatter.
I had planned to install the Dieselgeek deluxe kit at 140K, but I'm just worried the car won't wait that long (see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=162306).

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Paul.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
There are several failure modes for the water pump...they can't all be visually inspected. Due to the config of the timing belt, it doesn't make sense to get into the job and not replace the inexpensive water pump and critical rollers.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
well, I would say if you replaced the timing belt 40k ago and your getting scared now why not just do the complete kit now? Small piece of mind.

Besides, do you really want to have to redo the head/ maybe worse? Trust me it isnt fun.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
I would change it. A little $ now or a lot of $ later. I bought my Jetta with "complete TB" job done. I find out down the road that only the belt and tensioner were changed. My top roller was discolored and noisy, motor mount bolt broken, 2 others finger tight. After seeing with my own eyes, I consider myself very fortunate.I had the pleasure of assisting TW (ACES!!!) do the job right. Nick

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You should be fine. Keep an eye on lost coolant. Also listen CLOSELY for start up noise like swishing or squeaks. If you hear them you need to find the issue.

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
I'm tempted to wait until mid-spring, which means about another 10K miles for me. I'm picky about noises, so I'll probably hear any unusual noises before they get worse.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My water pump just failed on my Audi A6 3.0 with just shy of 85000 miles on the clock. Luckily it doesn't seem to have done any further damage - but very annoying, as the maintenance schedule doesn't recommend TB/water pump/roller/tensioner change until 105000 miles.

On the other hand, I've seen people with 150000 miles on the original water pump! Don't ask why - I don't know!

It should be done each TB change, along with the rollers and tensioner.

It's just the luck of the draw...

T.W.

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta sedan; 03 Jetta SW
Nick (Gordon) Hope you had a nice holiday and that the car is running well. I've shared your story with many others. This is one area where a little prevention on the front end will pay great dividends down the road. Send me a PM next week and we'll finish the project!

TW