steering rack hard lines HELP!!

generallee01

TDI
96 TDI Passat wagon
Hey guys! I made a bonehead move, upon doing some maintenance to my 96 Passat I cut the hard steering rack lines out because they were very rotted looking, thinking they were just a simple normal flared line like a brake line. I was rudely mistaken! I have visited a handful of hydraulic shops that all say they can't help me make new lines I ordered the eea engineering lines for the golf opening that they would be the same which they unfortunately aren't. The length is correct but the fittings are different. I find it hard to believe that I have to replace the whole darn steering rack and that there's not some way to adapt this or make this work I could have it fixed in two minutes if I have the right parts! Has anybody run into this issue before! Worst-case does anybody have a used set of lines I can grab?! Thanks for any help! Hindsight is 20/20 the car is completely dead in the water until I figure this out!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
did you possibly order for the wrong type of rack? Pretty sure the ZF rack has a waffle pattern and the TRW is smooth.

i think only the VR6 cars originally came with a ZF but i think they are interchangeable if you also change tie rods to match.

generallee01

TDI
96 TDI Passat wagon
Well....for the record ...the eea ones never did claim to fit a Passat...not could they answer if they DIDNT...so I tried them as I was desperate. I'm not sure about zf or treat or what that even means. I know there was 2 different racks. What can tell you is that my lines need a threaded metric male end on each end. It's not really a flare...rather a flat end which seals with an o ring.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Crawl under there and look at the rack. The zf rack has an obvious waffle pattern cast into it.

The two use different fittings and eaa does list them separately in the drop down menu with a note about one using an o-ring and the other not needing that o-ring. I think you just ordered the wrong one.

I believe the racks are interchangeable from A3 golf/Jetta to B4 passat but with different tie rods for each application.