New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
Hi,

1) Is there a Otto-matic to manual thread on this site?
2)What's the best repair/shop manual? Is the Bentley at $75 worth the extra money over the Clymer?
Any good advice on the best source of parts? I have used Autohaus for Mercedes parts with OK luck? Any recommendations for better sources.
In the Autohaus catalogue they show a retrofit that involves a one-piece flywheel with the disc and pp...is this advisable?
Thanks in advance,
SEO
Seo,
1.) http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516 is the definitive thread on auto to manual swap.
2.) Bentley hands down the best.
Several parts vendors support this site, and I have bought from the following (in no particular order):

TruckNorris

TDI
2005 MK4 Jetta GLS TDI

Mornin!

So yea lil about me... Active Military in Pacific North West(Seattle Area) I currently drive a Ford F150 with a 6.2L V8 55 Miles (88.5ish km) one way to base every friggin day! Wooo

So I have been looking at high MPG vehicles for the last few weeks setting my sights on mk4 Jetta/Golf TDIs, '92 Honda Civic VX's and '94-'98 Honda Civic HX's.

Decided the creature comforts are a must have too, you know space and power windows, locks etc. heated seats would be killer too. which lead me to finally decide on the mk4's I am looking to purchase here shortly and willing to fly for the right car (this one or similar)

price range is variable (trying to sell a '87 Chevy El Camino and potentially a '97 Mazda Miata) I have a bit of cash on hand

yep guess that's it, oh... looking for suggestions and such for alternatives too!

must haves:

Manual Trans.
45-55 mpg

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
looking for suggestions and such for alternatives too!
Two points:
1) This is the best time of the year to buy a TDI or other diesel vehicle, because of the seasonal spread in prices between gasoline and diesel.

2) TDI prices always seem to be highest in the PNW. Your best bet is to buy from a private owner who has complete maintenance and repair records; a car owned by the same person for many years, so that you're not just bailing out someone who made a bad purchase in the last year or two. And condition is more important that the odometer reading.

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Hey,
I just picked up a 96 Passat TDI from a coworker who upgraded to a 97 Passat TDI. The car needs some interior work, and has the "No Reverse/Why Is It Going Into First?" syndrome that I'm trying to sort out. Just picked up a new Shift Relay Lever, so hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

This is my first Diesel and my first VW as well. I've been messing around with DSM's and Turbo Mitsubishis since 97, so I'm mechanically inclined (whether I ever wanted to be or not) and it looks like it'll be fun trying to figure out the ins and outs of a new platform.

Now if I can just get the Passat to look as good as my Galant VR-4. :D

Happy to be here, and ready to learn.

Blueb00stin

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
2011 Jetta TDI DSG

Hey guys,

Mike here, just made my first VW purchase last week of my first TDI. I've heard great things, practically all my friends own some type of TDI so I figured it's about time to make the dive.

Absolutely love the car, might be doing some very basic upgrades (most likely not much more than a unitronic stage 1+). Glad to be here.

Also, couple years ago I did own a B5 Audi S4 and absolutely loved it, been missing VAG since.

vw chica

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagon
My First VW !!!

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI a couple months ago! (Woo hoo!! :) ) Its a basic model feature wise but spec'd with a manual trans which is what I wanted. I bought it to use as my lil ground pounder to and from work which is a 128 mile round trip. I just absolutely love the solid feel of the car! I noticed that the seat is VERY agreeable to my back and I dont feel all stiff and creaky when I have been driving on my commute.

(I still have my 1997 Ford F-150 pick up truck with under 300,000 VERY well maintained miles on it but wanted to retire it! )

Looking forward to reading on the forum about all issues pertaining to maintaining my wagon as well!

Happy New Year! " vw chica "

ps. i would post pics but not really sure how to do...............? haven't been on a forum in a long long time!

cjz

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
New Member - 2004 Jetta Sedan TDI

Hi everyone,
I am a new member although I have consulted this forum many times since purchasing my TDI new over 10 years ago. This forum has been an invaluable source of information for me. I try to keep the TDI well maintained - has been a great car and I don't plan to let it go anytime soon. 110k miles - only do 10k/year as it is my commuter car.

I want to add a second TDI in the next few years as my kids approach the driving ages. Ideally something with more back seat leg room and overall capacity. I am little disappointed in the current options in TDI and manual trans. Am hoping more models will be available in the future.

Hope everyone has a great New Year!

pburnett

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Wohoo!

New Member here and first post! Wife and I just picked up our first VW and TDI, a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium in White/Beige! (I tried to get her to hold out for the new Golf Sportwagen, but apparently wagons aren't quite 'cool' enough for her....) I'm loving the engine already just from the drive home. We pulled into the driveway and looked at the average economy, and saw a nice big fat 44mpg with the car now having 70 miles on it! A heck of alot better than the 06 BMW X3 that got 19 mpg on it.

A big thanks to all the posts here, as they helped us settle in on the diesel route. Now comes the fun parts of discovering everything in a new car! VCDS will certainly be the first purchase on this car!

TruckNorris

TDI
2005 MK4 Jetta GLS TDI
So, yea... Got myself a White MK4 2005 GLS with black leather and manual tranny! Needs a lil work but the work that needs to be done I was gonna do anyway! Coul over kit is en route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Costello

TDI
no longer
Hello Everybody -
New member here. Bought my first TDI a few months ago, a sweet silver (yeah, I know - a rare VW color) 2012 Passat TDI SEL.

thanks to all of the information here, two weeks ago successfully did my own $40K service. Man what a booger the oil filter casing is to get out. Patience was definitely a virtue. I now have VCDS. I got it to do my own settings and maintenance.

Getting 43 mpg so far, with normal mostly highway commuter driving. Really love my car. I have (and have had) Ford, Toyota, Datsun, Nissan and this is my first VW. Always have done my own routine maintenance and light repairs.

I really appreciate the community here, and the technical info.
Hope everyone has a good New Year.

harlydan

TDI
98 beetle
Hello everyone,

So my brother introduced me to TDI's awhile back. After he bought a 2000 Jetta. He started to brag about how great the fuel mileage was and how easy the car is to work on. So I decided to look for a TDI also. I comute 110 miles a day and at the time was driving a chevy 1/2 ton pick up. So I started looking and come to find out a good friend of mine had a 1998 tdi beetle with 145,000 miles just sitting on his ranch for the last few years that need some repairs/work. I call my brother to go with me to look at the beetle. The car ran just needed a inner-cooler a radiator and radiator support. So to make a long story short my friend ended up giving me the car for free. I have put about $3000. Into the car but it's cherry now with new paint, wheels, tires, lowered, and much more.. I plan on finding as many TDI's that are in bad shape and bringing them new life. Fun cars to work on. Plus this forum helps me with issue that may come up with each project I work on. Thanks for all the great information you all provide.
Dan

Jetta@99.5_JW

TDI
2013 Jetta 6 speed Silver
99.5 & 2013 Jetta owner

Hello TDIclub! I bought my first TDI one year ago (Jan 2014) and I've been a proud owner since. Yes, in one year, I've bought TWO Jetta's! The first, 99.5 MK4, ALH, 5-speed, black...and this car is why I finally became a member. After spending most of 2014 keeping up with the maintenance (with the help of TDIclub!), I very regrettably waited too long to change the timing belt. The t-belt stripped and the head (valves) are damaged, with possible piston damage as well. It’s in the garage now, disassembled, ready for repair.

So in the meantime, I bought–the-bullet and purchased a 2013 Jetta 6-speed, great car! And although I couldn’t be happier with my new car, I have never really considered letting go of the 99.5…until now. Even though, I just messaged another member making an offer on a complete ALH engine, I am finding myself considering all possible options, including selling the 99.5, either ‘as is’ or with the replaced engine.

I just wanted to share ‘my story’ and perhaps throw out a ‘feeler’ as well! I don’t think it’s necessary to list the specifics on my initial post and I’ve read enough to know that for anyone inquiring, you will know how to contact me and what questions you want to ask.
Thanks

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
on the T-belt age is just as big of factor as miles on the clock. VWAG recommends no longer than 5 years with no regard to how far it has traveled between changes to avoid failure of the t-belt system......

That is a good measuring stick in one of these older ones to avoid the above described catastrophe of a broken belt....

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

Every time I googled something for my car this site popped up so I decided to join. I sold my Dodge Ram in 2013 to get my 2011 golf w/ 30k on it. 110,000 miles later I don't miss my truck and my car is currently in the shop getting the CR170 turbo, stage 3 Malone tune, Buzzken down and mid pipe (straight), and EGR delete. Picking it up Wednesday :) looking forward to some GTG's

NedloFrankovich

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Upstate NY Diesel Newbie

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2012 Jetta TDI stick shift in beautiful condition. This will be my first diesel but not my first Volkswagen. I will be running this Jetta alongside my 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 180,000miles @ 16mpg's, we have spent close to nine years together, lots of money/time and maybe a few road soda's along the way, so I just can't see my self parting with it.
I drive 50 miles a day, mostly straight level backroads and I rarely exceed 55 miles per hour. I do believe I have purchased the perfect vehicle for my commute . As far as the future, I would like to invest in modifications that would help this models efficiency and general levels of fun. I am a bit concerned about navigating my less then well maintained winter roads but I imagine time will tell and of course my little danger ranger will be their if it gets really shady. I'm ecstatic to be a new member of this community and eager to participate and learn about my recent purchase:) Any and all input is welcome:)
Be Well my Friends,
Frankovich

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2012 Jetta TDI stick shift in beautiful condition. This will be my first diesel but not my first Volkswagen. I will be running this Jetta alongside my 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 180,000miles @ 16mpg's, we have spent close to nine years together, lots of money/time and maybe a few road soda's along the way, so I just can't see my self parting with it.
I drive 50 miles a day, mostly straight level backroads and I rarely exceed 55 miles per hour. I do believe I have purchased the perfect vehicle for my commute . As far as the future, I would like to invest in modifications that would help this models efficiency and general levels of fun. I am a bit concerned about navigating my less then well maintained winter roads but I imagine time will tell and of course my little danger ranger will be their if it gets really shady. I'm ecstatic to be a new member of this community and eager to participate and learn about my recent purchase:) Any and all input is welcome:)
Be Well my Friends,
Frankovich

I would get a skid plate. Ice chunks could crack your oil pan. Good luck

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Every time I googled something for my car this site popped up so I decided to join. I sold my Dodge Ram in 2013 to get my 2011 golf w/ 30k on it. 110,000 miles later I don't miss my truck and my car is currently in the shop getting the CR170 turbo, stage 3 Malone tune, Buzzken down and mid pipe (straight), and EGR delete. Picking it up Wednesday :) looking forward to some GTG's
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the Malone stage 3 tune. I have the 1.5 tune and love it, but additional hp and economy is always welcome.
Stan

Spicolas

TDI
99.5 alh
Hey guys, just picked up a 99.5 alh Jetta. Picked it up $600. Needed a starter and a battery to run. I got it with 330k on it and it ran rough. So I did a new fuel filter and ran 2 things of diesel purge threw it. Now runs a hell of a lot better. Still have to clean the egr and manifold because it's clogged. Getting 500 miles to the tank. Mixture of both highway and city driving. P.O put a straight pipe on it with some haggard square muffler coming out the side. Looking for any other input on what else I should do to take care of this motor because of the high mileage. Not really trying to "mod" it but is there anything I can do that won't kill this motor?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey guys, just picked up a 99.5 alh Jetta. Picked it up $600. Needed a starter and a battery to run. I got it with 330k on it and it ran rough. So I did a new fuel filter and ran 2 things of diesel purge threw it. Now runs a hell of a lot better. Still have to clean the egr and manifold because it's clogged. Getting 500 miles to the tank. Mixture of both highway and city driving. P.O put a straight pipe on it with some haggard square muffler coming out the side. Looking for any other input on what else I should do to take care of this motor because of the high mileage. Not really trying to "mod" it but is there anything I can do that won't kill this motor?
First things first: a complete timing belt change. Don't trust it by looks, don't trust if the previous owner said he just did it a while back. Replace everything in the TB pathway, use a deluxe kit like this one

You may not want to spend enough to take this Jetta to 500k miles or beyond -- but with care it could go that far or further. You didn't say whether it was an automatic or manual gearbox, but for $600 I'm going to guess "automatic." That will make a difference in how long you should plan on owning it.

Edit: and have the TB installed by someone with the know-how and the right tools and software.

Last edited:

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the Malone stage 3 tune. I have the 1.5 tune and love it, but additional hp and economy is always welcome.
Stan
My car is going from bone stock to the turbo upgrade so I'm sure it's going to be a big difference to me. I'll report back as soon as I pick it up. Not going to be til Thursday because I'm having him replace the timing belt and components too since I'm over 130k

Spicolas

TDI
99.5 alh
First things first: a complete timing belt change. Don't trust it by looks, don't trust if the previous owner said he just did it a while back. Replace everything in the TB pathway, use a deluxe kit like this one

You may not want to spend enough to take this Jetta to 500k miles or beyond -- but with care it could go that far or further. You didn't say whether it was an automatic or manual gearbox, but for $600 I'm going to guess "automatic." That will make a difference in how long you should plan on owning it.

Edit: and have the TB installed by someone with the know-how and the right tools and software.
Sorry I should have specified, it is a 5 speed. I have worked on multiple vw. Such as my old 2.0, building my gf's aba cabby and share a shop with all certified Volkswagen techs. Not to worried about installing the TB. But yes I am doing the whole timing belt kit.

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
New TDI Owner here - my old 380SEL made it to 375K, served us well, but has nothing left to offer. I've long considered a TDI, and have been a fan of VW since my first car, a '71 VW Bus.

Picked up a 2003 Golf TDI GLS with 110k. I enjoy doing all my own maintenance, and have access to almost all the necessary tools, assess to a VAG COM etc.

This forum has already been a great resource - thanks for sharing you're wealth of knowledge.

Lou 2.0 TDI

TDI
we own two 2014 Passat TDI SEL's
Thanks, new to the Forum not VW..

Hi you all,
My wife and I both have owned several VW's. We currently own two 2014 Passat TDI SEL, mine is White we call the Monday/Friday :( VW. My wife’s owns a Silver Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday ;) VW. Yes mine has had several issues, alignment from the start was way out, the silly dealership just balanced the tires when the car was tracking to the right.. I had to press the dealer to align the car. Also when closing the trunk even with the alarm set the horn goes off but after you hear the trunk latch the trunk reopens on both cars about once a week or so..But mine has the big issue; the radio will just shut off when in use at anytime then reboot up. When you are using the Nav not fun.The dealer says when several items are working the radio may do that :eek:. Well the radio is playing music, the Nav is on the phone is linked.. Sorry those are standard uses I told the dealer and VW USA :mad:..
We love :) our Passat, we hope they figure it out.. BTW we bought both cars in April and May of 2014...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hi you all,
My wife and I both have owned several VW's. We currently own two 2014 Passat TDI SEL, mine is White we call the Monday/Friday :( VW. My wife’s owns a Silver Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday ;) VW. Yes mine has had several issues, alignment from the start was way out, the silly dealership just balanced the tires when the car was tracking to the right.. I had to press the dealer to align the car. Also when closing the trunk even with the alarm set the horn goes off but after you hear the trunk latch the trunk reopens on both cars about once a week or so..But mine has the big issue; the radio will just shut off when in use at anytime then reboot up. When you are using the Nav not fun.The dealer says when several items are working the radio may do that :eek:. Well the radio is playing music, the Nav is on the phone is linked.. Sorry those are standard uses I told the dealer and VW USA :mad:..
We love :) our Passat, we hope they figure it out.. BTW we bought both cars in April and May of 2014...
I see no reason why both your 2014 cars would not work perfectly. You may want to seek out a different dealership, a consumer advocate group or maybe even an attorney

redginger

TDI
2014 Jetta Value Edition
New 2014 Jetta

New to VW, bought a red 2014 Jetta value edition TDI just before Christmas. My previous car was a 2002 Ford that I'd bought in 2003 that was the only other car I'd ever owned so it's taking me a bit to adjust to a new one. My biggest consideration when looking for a new car was the MPG and so far, the Jetta is exceeding my expectations there!

I'm still getting used to how it handles under different road conditions, but so far it's not doing so well with rain and snow. My previous car took me through super snowy conditions when I lived in the Midwest and I never had any spinouts or felt like I was losing control. I grew up in Illinois and always felt like I knew how to drive in the snow just fine. I always had all-weather tires, nothing special. The Jetta has lost traction several times during light rain and earlier this week, my area in Virgina had just a couple inches of unexpected snow and the roads weren't treated. I kept my speed super low and was ultra cautious, but the Jetta was fishtailing around and couldn't seem to get traction, particularly on slushy areas that didn't appear to be icy, just wet. The 10 mi drive to work was really stressful! I used to wonder how people just spun off the roads during snowy conditions because I'd never even been close to doing so - now I can see that in my future. It's probably a matter of becoming accustomed to it, but maybe better tires are in order. I'm somewhat disappointed in the car so far because of this, but I'll have to see how it handles during the next snow after I've had more time behind the wheel.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the Jetta was fishtailing around and couldn't seem to get traction, particularly on slushy areas that didn't appear to be icy, just wet. The 10 mi drive to work was really stressful! I used to wonder how people just spun off the roads during snowy conditions because I'd never even been close to doing so - now I can see that in my future. It's probably a matter of becoming accustomed to it, but maybe better tires are in order. I'm somewhat disappointed in the car so far because of this ...
Your problem is almost certainly with the tires, not the car. Some of us have dedicated winter tires, but you shouldn't need them in Virginia. Good all-season tires should do the trick for you; do a little research, maybe at http://www.tirerack.com

MFTDI

TDI
MK4 squareback pumpe duse, B5.5 4mo turbo wagon
hey, long time lurker. finally signed up.
been driving volkswagen diesels for the past 7 or 8 years.
here's a pic of my 2006 PD 5spd jetta wagon. coilovers, compos and a tune. best daily ride I've ever owned.

I also have a 05 1.8T 4motion passat wagon. wifey drives that one.

cheers