KESSY battery replacement

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
The owners manual says to take the KESSY to the VW dealership because bad things can happen if you swap out the battery yourself. Any ideas of what the bad things are?

Any tips on how to avoid bad things happening? The owners manual is not much help.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Are you talking about the battery in the car, or the battery in the remote fob?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Every other post I've read on here says to just replace it.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
sounds strange...but if you decide to do it yourself...maybe do it when out of range....away from vehicle.....let us know...

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Changed my kessy battery on 2 fobs with no strange things, except once I had to put the key in the door lock for it to learn. Second time it worked fine.

CR2032 batteries are available at Ikea for cheap.

ajharbin

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi, 2012 Passat TDi SEL
Just changed my battery in my key fob last week. I did have some issues with unlocking/locking my door with the door handle. The way I fixed it was by popping the hidden door off the drivers side door handle and inserting the key, then turning the key to the unlock position and hold till the windows roll down then to the lock position and letting the windows roll up. I did this about 5 times each way then let it sit for 30 seconds and that seemed to fix all my problems.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Just changed my battery in my key fob last week. I did have some issues with unlocking/locking my door with the door handle. The way I fixed it was by popping the hidden door off the drivers side door handle and inserting the key, then turning the key to the unlock position and hold till the windows roll down then to the lock position and letting the windows roll up. I did this about 5 times each way then let it sit for 30 seconds and that seemed to fix all my problems.
good to know..where did you come up with this procedure ?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I was having issues with our '13 KESSY not locking or unlocking by touching the door handle. I tested the FOB in questions battery and it measure 2.9V. I replaced the battery and havn't had it act up since.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I was having issues with our '13 KESSY not locking or unlocking by touching the door handle. I tested the FOB in questions battery and it measure 2.9V. I replaced the battery and havn't had it act up since.
2.9v way too low..remember this is without a load...I replaced mine yesterday and kessy never been happier..the range is improved greatly..