Driver's Door Won't Open

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I think the Passats have a moisture freezing issue inside the doors. I have noticed a crunchy frozen moisture sound when opening the doors in cold weather, but it has never caused any problems.
Mine thawed out (after parking it in the garage and firing up the furnace for a day). But now I'm seeing another issue. When the car is locked, you walk up and put your hand on the door handle, (keyless entry) door unlocks, you pull handle and it "hangs". It's as if there is a two step process to opening the door and it hangs on step 2. If you release the handle, and pull a 2nd time, it opens. This didn't start till after it froze the first time. Hope I didn't "break it" trying to open the door the first time it got frozen. I have an extend warranty but not sure if it covers door latch mechanisms. If it doesn't, I'm going to try and get it fixed under the TSB that covers the issue.:rolleyes: Funny how the car was fine the first two winters and last winter was the coldest (lots of neg zero days).

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Dealers are pretty aligned on the cost. Nice to know we are all equally screwed. ;-)
Sorry but doors freezing shut is a safety hazard and should fall under recall rules (not like I have any more room on my wall board to pin up another recall postcard from VW anyway) but hey, if enough people file a complaint, vw should have to fix it for free and reimbursethose who already paid for it. I would expect this in a 17k turd kicker but not a 30+ VW. JMO. :cool:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

My Complaint Number: 10820804

Last edited:

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Sorry but doors freezing shut is a safety hazard and should fall under recall rules (not like I have any more room on my wall board to pin up another recall postcard from VW anyway) but hey, if enough people file a complaint, vw should have to fix it for free and reimbursethose who already paid for it. I would expect this in a 17k turd kicker but not a 30+ VW. JMO. :cool:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

My Complaint Number: 10820804
Thanks, I filed a complainthttps://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

A latch stuck open is a safety issue. People should not drive to the dealer with a strap or bungee cord keeping the door closed.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Mine thawed out (after parking it in the garage and firing up the furnace for a day). But now I'm seeing another issue. When the car is locked, you walk up and put your hand on the door handle, (keyless entry) door unlocks, you pull handle and it "hangs". It's as if there is a two step process to opening the door and it hangs on step 2. If you release the handle, and pull a 2nd time, it opens. This didn't start till after it froze the first time. Hope I didn't "break it" trying to open the door the first time it got frozen. I have an extend warranty but not sure if it covers door latch mechanisms. If it doesn't, I'm going to try and get it fixed under the TSB that covers the issue.:rolleyes: Funny how the car was fine the first two winters and last winter was the coldest (lots of neg zero days).
I've had two other VWs with the same double pull and fixed them both by adjusting the ouside handle's cable attachement point. By removing the door lock assembly, you can get to the little nub that is on the end of the cable. You can pop it free, pull slightly and reattach farther out. Probably a bit of stretch in the cable.

Same for me too on the last two winters. I just don't trust the dealer to fix this without breaking something else.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Has anyone looked where the glass meets the door on the outside, my Passat has a gap where rain can collect and seep in, my 2004 Jetta and the Honda both use a rubber seal that presses against the glass and directs rain down the outside of the door.

I believe this is a contributing factor to this problem.

Hey gforce1108 I see you have a 2004 Jetta...do you see the difference between the two ?

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Has anyone looked where the glass meets the door on the outside, my Passat has a gap where rain can collect and seep in, my 2004 Jetta and the Honda both use a rubber seal that presses against the glass and directs rain down the outside of the door.

I believe this is a contributing factor to this problem.

Hey gforce1108 I see you have a 2004 Jetta...do you see the difference between the two ?
I will look closer at that two.

Even after spraying everything out with WD40 my door was frozen again. Guess I have to make an appointment since it's under warranty still. I'll try another dealership though. Sucks that the next closest one is 45 minutes away, but the local dealer royally sucks.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Fixed.. Here's how it all went down:

Posted in another thread so I'll post here too. Had this same issue happen to me. Started in Nov with a warm day, wet snow, then teens the next day. Couldn't get in the car from the driver side. Didn't think much of it till we had a few teen/single digit days in Dec and it kept happening. Here's my path:

1. Came here to see if anyone else had this issue. :D

2. Yes to nr 1. Also got TSB number on the issue. [FONT=&quot] Tsb #TT-57-14-01;)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

3. Filed a complaint with the NHTSA and got my claim number.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm :mad:

4. Made appointment with dealer. Explained the issue, the info I found here on TDIClub, the TSB number I was having issues with and the NHTSA claim number. Also advised I did have an extended warranty I got from them (the dealer) when I got the car. Seems they have had a few cars t his week alone with this issue. :(

5. Dropped car off last night (night drop)

6. Dealer called and said car was ready. No charge. Service mgr called VW. VW paid for it. FWIW: Car had 50k on it. :eek:

Hats off to vyletel Volkswagen of Sterling Ht's MI for taking care of this. :D:D:D So far that dealer has been outstanding in taking care of my issues including the body work facility. Though I've been critical of the car, the dealer is 5 stars. Oh, did I mention they washed my car too? :cool:

Feel bad for those who had to pay for it. I'm sure if there is a recall, you will get your money back so keep your paper work. :(

Last edited:

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I've had two other VWs with the same double pull and fixed them both by adjusting the ouside handle's cable attachement point. By removing the door lock assembly, you can get to the little nub that is on the end of the cable. You can pop it free, pull slightly and reattach farther out. Probably a bit of stretch in the cable.

Same for me too on the last two winters. I just don't trust the dealer to fix this without breaking something else.

Yeah, normally I would take things apart and fix it. (Own two jeeps so tearing things apart isn't abnormal for me) ;).

But car was purchased with intent on it being the youngest when he goes off to college this year. So, I've been driving it and racking up the miles before turning over the keys. As long as I have a warranty on it, I'll let the dealer deal with it first. In this case, they took car of it. :D Svc adviser said they replaced cable, and pretty much rebuilt everything, including replacing or installing some cover (shroud) I guess. I pick it up tonight. Will see what the parts list is if its listed. Would have been 600 bucks I guess. :eek: