www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2013, 14:15   #271
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Note that the ALH only takes atmospheric readings when you first turn on the ignition, so there is no live altitude compensation as you drive. Good practice might be to turn off and restart the engine when you get into high altitude.

(At least that's my understanding of it...)
Old September 13th, 2013, 14:16   #272
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

The TDIfest 2001 in Park City had 3 FAILED turbos. Now these were ALH cars.

And "back in the day" I had an Upsolute tune & .205 Injs. I did take it easy over the Mtns out and back, I had no problems.

From past reports those that did have probs 2 were driving aggressively. The third was a NB that failed on the way home. Dang it I remember those facts but can't remember breakfast!
Old September 13th, 2013, 14:18   #273
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Default Barometric readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Note that the ALH only takes atmospheric readings when you first turn on the ignition, so there is no live altitude compensation as you drive. Good practice might be to turn off and restart the engine when you get into high altitude.

Thanks Lawson I now remember that idea.
Old September 13th, 2013, 17:25   #274
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Quote:
I'm happy to continue with the TDIFest efforts, as are a number of other people.
I have mixed feelings about that.
One one hand are those complaining that the same 'clique' is always running the fests, so they don't feel wanted / needed, while others are content to sit by and let those that have organized previously, do yet another event

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'm deliberately trying to goad those that haven't organized an event into proposing one so that the same group that have run events in the past aren't hurriedly pressed into rush mode for next year because no other group has.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Old September 13th, 2013, 17:57   #275
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
As long as the tune is set up to adjust for altitudes and you don't do anything too aggressive I would think you'd be fine. But I will tell you we ship a lot of BEW replacement turbos to Colorado. Stock or tuned, it doesn't seem to matter.

Hmmm, maybe I should avoid going through Colorado and stick with the southern route if I ever again drive across the country, or even going to Tahoe.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old September 13th, 2013, 19:25   #276
dieseleux
Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor

TDI(s): Jetta TDI 02
Fuel Economy: 4.2L/100km

Quote:

All TDI ecu have atmospheric pressure sensor Inside, you dont need reset the ecu when you rise in altitude.
At de top of Mt-Washington, i take picture of Vagcom...
970 to 1050milibar at sea level, 795milibar at the top!

http://www.dieseleux.torquedelight.c...C00489.JPG.php

The pressure drop aprox by 10% per 1000 meter, this is rule of thumb.

Dieseleux

Old September 15th, 2013, 09:24   #277
Jayg
Veteran Member

I love how even the tdifest planning thread has tech info.
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:04   #278
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I have mixed feelings about that.
One one hand are those complaining that the same 'clique' is always running the fests, so they don't feel wanted / needed, while others are content to sit by and let those that have organized previously, do yet another event
I agree but isn't that going to happen in any organization? There are a lot of people - myself included - that cannot plan much of anything. But on the other hand they are pretty good at assigned tasks. The reason I posted a list of questions a few pages back was to find out a little bit more of what's involved in the committee/planning/feet on the ground work.

The few that take the reigns and run with event planning are usually very good at what they do. And the rest of us - no one want to go to a Fest (dis)organized the way I would do it. And for those that complain about it being a 'clique'... It's on each individual to get involved in the way that they desire to and are able to.

sold2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 275k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:20   #279
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Some of those that have been instrumental in organizing the past several fests have 'day jobs' doing pretty much the same. It has been a huge benefit to have been able to make use of this expertise in our little weekend. It just that I don't want us to go-to-the-well once too often and imply that there is an expectation that these pros will bail us out.
I also have heard grumbling from several members about a nebulous, self-select group "running" TDIClub. I want to assure those with similar opinions that they can help guide the club if they get involved.
So, PLEASE, put together your proposal, submit a basic outline, identify others that have similar desires that can commit to helping, and let's resume having competing proposals.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:53   #280
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
I also have heard grumbling from several members about a nebulous, self-select group "running" TDIClub. I want to assure those with similar opinions that they can help guide the club if they get involved.
To compliment these people, these people are also some of the most involved, most hard working club members who are dedicating lots & lots of time to this. If others were putting in as much time they too would be part of the nebulous extraordinaire.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:02   #281
ClutchKargo

Fuel Economy: 48 - 54 mpg

Just throwing this out there......I'm an old member getting ready to get back into the TDI world. So how about the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Tons of hotels, restaurants, place to go, brand new convention center and plenty more for endless activities. They (tourist association) host quite a few GTG's like TDIclub Fest and I'm sure they would love the influx of members.

Smoky Mountains, Cherokee NC, Tail of the Dragon US129 are all within an hour or so drive.

Good to be back soon at the Diesel pumps,
Clutch
Audi TT lower control arms / Matt Whitbread custom FMIC / 3 bar MAP sensor / Frank06 Stage 2 cam w/black lifters and oil-mod bearings / SBC Stage 3 clutch / BFI Stage 1 motors/tranny mounts / KW V2 coilovers
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:25   #282
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post
Just throwing this out there......I'm an old member getting ready to get back into the TDI world. So how about the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Tons of hotels, restaurants, place to go, brand new convention center and plenty more for endless activities. They (tourist association) host quite a few GTG's like TDIclub Fest and I'm sure they would love the influx of members.

Smoky Mountains, Cherokee NC, Tail of the Dragon US129 are all within an hour or so drive.

Good to be back soon at the Diesel pumps,
Clutch
I spent several months looking into that area specifically. It's peak season for tourism and good deals on hotels must be booked at least a year in advance, particularly for large groups like us. It would be a great location, but will require a lot of advance planning in order to pull it off.
Old September 26th, 2013, 21:10   #283
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

Quote:
Not gonna lie, when I first joined the club I felt the same way. But people need to realize that this club has been around for, what, nearly 2 decades? So there are groups of people that know each other. Seems like the same people who run the fest also run the forum. Look at the moderators and its the same people who are most active at fest. It makes sense simply because those are the ones that are most invested in the success of the club, and also are the most obsessed.

I personally would love to have more involvement in the forum running operation and have mentioned it from time to time on different locations around here. But I guess my services aren't needed yet. I just know when there is a lull and people are tired of checking tdiclub.com they will look for people to take over the reigns.

So yeah, there are definitely little groups within the club but if people show initiative, I have never seen them discredited.

I'd like a fest in St. Louis, but I wouldn't be able to do it by myself. And I know Oilhammer and Dozenspeed are pretty busy people with busy schedules.

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
Old September 26th, 2013, 22:27   #284
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

It does seem to me that a fest in St. Louis is far away from gelling, but IF a strong team lead is formed into contention, I hereby would commit to supporting it by devoting substancial time to creating, coordinating and running a unique, family-friendly TDI-driving activity I've formed in my head that I think of as a live-action variant of our Picture Hunt Scavenger Game. I'm confident I have it fairly well thought out and can sell it to the TDI elders.

I do not want to be the leader per se but would be proud to take part of a competant brigade. I just don't have enough familarity in the standards and expections of Fests to promise more than that, so for now I'm standing by in the wings, ready to be called upon if desired.

I made one previous effort investigating a venue that simply fizzled, and only just now have thought of another possible venue of appeal that is making me reconsider trying again during the writing of this sentance.

The big fear about it being here is our wacky weather, but as it is still unusually hot here today this year, chances are next labor day will be gorgeous.

I really would enjoy contributing in this way, and think my local knowledge, experience and interests would be ideal for the activity I have in mind.

Sincerely,
Dozenspeed

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:33   #285
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I don't think TDIClub is different from any other in that there's a core group of people who are involved, committed, and donate their time and energy to running the forums and making events happen. If I'm not mistaken there were not many forum moderators on the Fest planning committee, not that it matters, IMO. I was involved in the '07 Fest Planning but folks were uncomfortable with a vendor taking an active role in Fest planning, so I've stuck to donating items for the Fest since then.

Waiting to be asked to help probably isn't going to work. If you want to help out with a Fest put a team together and generate a proposal, or get involved with folks who are. I don't think anyone will turn you away.
Closed Thread