Cool features you didn't know your Passat had

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Proper European style would only light one side of the car, in a VW chosen by having the turn signal on left or right. I've read that's not an codeable option for the Passat sadly.
It is a codable option :D but it requires changing the master lighting coding, which breaks other things :(

-J

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
A cool feature on the Passat is that the little compartment by your left knee on the driver's side holds a Beretta Tomcat perfectly. :D

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
On a similar note, I like that the MDI connection will keep my iPod at the same spot it was at shutdown when I restart the car. The uConnect system in my Jeep used to restart the song from the beginning. Yuck.
I noted that this will occur even when switching from a 'wired' connection over the MDI and later over bluetooth, it'll pick up right where it left off.

Another feature that I discovered quite by accident - accelerating from a stop while in tip-tronic mode - the DSG shifted automatically at about 4500 RPM each time. By the time I shifted into 3rd and realized that I was well over the legal highway speed limit for where I was while revving for 4th. I all happened so fast, that it took a little while to take it all in. Then I went and tried it again on purpose! Try it - you'll like it.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
4500 RPM is way above the horsepower peak, so you're definitely not doing yourself any favors by revving that high. That said, it's better than just going up to redline and sitting there until you remember to shift. ;)

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
It's really sucked that rmp doesn't go to red limit I hope tune will change this.

newtrawn

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Someone mentioned earlier about wiper position or some such thing. How does one do this? When it snows, it would be nice to lift up my wipers so they dont get frozen to the window.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Turn ignition to accessory position and bump stalk down once. This will put wipers in service mode. Amazingly this is in the owners manual :p

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Since the wiper service position got mentioned, that reminded me of another little tidbit. I was washing the car one day, and was in the process of drying it off. I had popped the hood to wipe the excess water from the underside of the hood and on the sides of the fenders and grill. I just set the hood down on the first latch, but not latched fully. I then went to put the wipers into the service position to wipe the cowl area. The wipers would not budge on bit. Even got the manual out to ensure I was doing it right. After several more attempts, I finally realized that on the MFD that there was a thin white line indicating that the front hood was still ajar. (this is where the light bulb comes on!
) So I closed the hood and made sure it was fully latched. Then the wipers were able to move to the service position. Nice feature, but it sure was a bit frustrating until realizing what was going on.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Press the start button without pressing the brake will turn the ignition on. Then turn it back off, then press the wiper stalk down.
Ok i tried that last night and I got the wipers went up. That's it. What other accessories get turned on? The radio is always on even if the car is off

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Ok i tried that last night and I got the wipers went up. That's it. What other accessories get turned on? The radio is always on even if the car is off
Radio can be turned back on for something like 10 minutes after shutting the car off if memory serves.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I had popped the hood to wipe the excess water from the underside of the hood and on the sides of the fenders and grill. I just set the hood down on the first latch, but not latched fully. I then went to put the wipers into the service position to wipe the cowl area. The wipers would not budge on bit. Even got the manual out to ensure I was doing it right. After several more attempts, I finally realized that on the MFD that there was a thin white line indicating that the front hood was still ajar. (this is where the light bulb comes on! So I closed the hood and made sure it was fully latched. Then the wipers were able to move to the service position. Nice feature, but it sure was a bit frustrating until realizing what was going on.
This may be true on a SEL that has the hood switch, but the S and the SE do not have the hood switch. The wipers will go up even if the hood is open, S and SE owners beware. DAHIK

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The hood switch can be added easily to an SE - the wiring is already there - just buy the switch from the dealer.

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
I think a lot of folks are having issues with hill hold because they're used to letting the clutch out slowly without adding fuel. You could do this just fine on the old ALHs and such, but the commonrail is less tolerant, especially now with hill hold.

Solution: add a little go pedal as if you were driving a gasser.

I am 99% sure the hill hold would never release even with throttle on my car (6M). I tried to "power through" the hill hold, just to see if I could, and I could not.

If the hill hold would have disabled with throttle, I maybe would have lived with it.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am 99% sure the hill hold would never release even with throttle on my car (6M). I tried to "power through" the hill hold, just to see if I could, and I could not.

If the hill hold would have disabled with throttle, I maybe would have lived with it.
If you have access to VCDS disable Hill-Hold. That is the solution. Then you control the clutch, brake, and gas like it should be...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J'ville

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI w/Sunroof
After purchase, I immediately returned to the dealer, to complain that the door lock was inoperative. That you couldn't press the lock down, then close the door locked. (Like all the other vehicles do).

Found out that you must use the remote to lock from the outside. A safety feature that prevents you from locking-in your keys. Someone used their head on this one.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Starting to notice something kinda neat and a pain in the butt at the same time.

- If you put something in the back seat and arrive at your destination, the rear door unlocks as soon as you take your key out of the ignition.

- If you don't open the door prior to departure and get to your destination, the rear door does not unlock, causing you to unlock it either by fob or the driver's side door switch.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Starting to notice something kinda neat and a pain in the butt at the same time.

- If you put something in the back seat and arrive at your destination, the rear door unlocks as soon as you take your key out of the ignition.

- If you don't open the door prior to departure and get to your destination, the rear door does not unlock, causing you to unlock it either by fob or the driver's side door switch.
Interesting!....

I know on my SEL I configured the locks so that all doors unlock at once. So when I reach my destination and pull on the drivers inside door handle all doors unlock. Also from outside when I pull on the outside handle it unlocks all the doors at once.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I would have to say:

1) the indention on the driver and passenger door handle that you can touch to lock the doors.
2) you can open the door and hold the drivers side window button up or down for 5 seconds and it will open or close all the windows and the sun roof.
#2 works on the gasser SE also. Is #1 only on the SEL?

Thanks!

kcox69

TDI
'13 Passat SEL & '04 Jetta
Finally found the keyhole on my SEL. And yes, the Passat still has the "all windows and sunroof up/down/open using the key fob" feature. Unfortunately, you have to remove the cover on the rear of the driver side door handle to gain access to the keyhole. I've owned my SEL for 6 months and was thinking, "what a waste the key is on the key fob when there's no keyhole to use it on." I wonder if VW has a replacement cover that allows access to the keyhole without removing it. Guess it's an aesthetics thing but that was the coolest feature on my Jetta.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Why do you need the key hole?

If you want windows up/down, press and hold the driver's door switch in the appropriate direction after you open the door - voila, all windows up/down and sunroof vent open/closed.