2012+ Passat owners - How old are you?

How old were you when you purchased your 2012+ Passat?

• Total voters

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm curious to see where we are in terms of age range of Passat buyers. Please take a moment to complete this quick poll. DO NOT vote if you don't have a 2012 or 2013 Passat.

The question is: How old were you when you purchased your 2012/2013 Passat TDI?

Thanks!

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Be interested in the results, my guess for median age is 45. I am well in excess of that.:D

But still above ground driving a new Passat. But I think it needs to be chipped, just so people will think I am younger..............................

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good but his appearances in the Texas area are few and far between. He did my Jetta long ago in 2006. I guess I will have to wait. His web site doesn't seem to be well updated either. I have a hard time finding out where he will be. I am older but likes a tune!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
He travels to a lot of get togethers - might require a road trip on your part, but I think it would be well worth it! I should have had ours tuned at TDIFest... maybe next I see him! :D

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
My wife's parents and my parents both recently purchased Passat TDIs, 12 and 13 respectively. Her parents are in their early 70s and mine are late 60s. Both are very, very pleased with the cars. Purchases were driven by the advise of a family member...ahem.

Didn't vote because I haven't purchased one yet.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hurry up and get with the program! ;) Everybody is doing it. :D

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Working on it... Problem is my wife likes the wagon and the darn thing is still in great shape. Passat is certainly in our future though. I want the wagon back so I can quit daily driving the truck.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Is anyone chipping the 2013's yet? I am 53 and mine is due any time.
Mark Malone is tuning them. He told me some ECU's are encrypted, some are not. If they are encrypted... it would take a few days to do the tune. He won't know until he actually hooks up to the ECU and tries to download the tune. Apparently they can no longer upload a tune thru the OBD port, the ECU must come out. :(

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We're going to have to institute new photo ID checks and title verification for future voting in this thread. ;)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
We're going to have to institute new photo ID checks and title verification for future voting in this thread. ;)
Someone's eyesight going?

Upsolute are showing one for the Passat, 37HP and 55 torque if I remember correctly. I'd like to get 10,000 on it before doing that.

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Someone's eyesight going?

Upsolute are showing one for the Passat, 37HP and 55 torque if I remember correctly. I'd like to get 10,000 on it before doing that.

Don
Link?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
interesting, Great car but out of the range of price and size that I see reasonable for the return. I am in the camp of I would like to see a 1.6 TDI powered option sold in the US, a Golf or Polo with the 1.6 diesel would be a perfect fit for me. But short of that this one seems to be the most efficient of what is offered today with diesel power by anyone so at some point I will have one!.

I got my first Passat, a 1979 Dasher D in 1983 when I was in my early 20s. Then got a 1983 Quantum TD in 1991, in my late 20s.

My current daily driver and most recent Passat that I have kept was a 1997 that I got in 1999 when I was in my late 30s.

I like that VW is finally selling once again a car that can at least equal what a 1Z or ALH can produce mpg wise. I will consider one of these Passats 2012 and up with urea in a couple of years if the opportunity arises to get one at a reasonable price. But with the way they are holding their resale value today that might be hard to find......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one friend that is a doc that went from a beat up Mazda B200 to a new 98 Passat gas turbo when he was ~40 years old, his first new car.ik Then in 2004 he traded to his current 04 Passat TDI-PD. He was considering a new Passat TDI until he did his T-belt earlier this year. He has said to me that if his current one last to 200+ k miles without needing anything major, he is at ~130k today he would consider another new one.

I have another Doc friend about the same age that has a 4 wheel drive Passat, it is one of the W8 cars that was sold here. He just did about $4k worth of maintenance so is planing on keeping it for a while. He had a A6 a lease before he got this one, he was around 40 when he got his first German car. His kids now both have 04-07 Passats, one has a turbo and the other has a Vr6 Passat.

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I bought my first Passat a few months back,. Initially I went in looking for a Golf or Jetta, but was quickly reminded by my wife that I needed to stop being selfish and think of the family! We were about 8 weeks shy of having our first baby. So we opted for the Passat and I must say, it's the best of all the choices. As a 26 year old I still wanted to get a "sporty" car and put money into, but I guess I have to so it to my family car now, which is also my daily commuter (120 miles a day).

jondiehl

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Sold my 2007 BMW M6 last Thursday and picked up a '13 TDI SEL to replace it.

I turn 39 on Monday.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I might be 54 or 55 by the time I get one. My wife suggested that we get rid of the corolla and pick up a passat. My daughter would then have the JSW.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Interesting that a Passat is replacing an M6 in one post and a Corolla in another!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Next should be a household income poll!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Household income would be interesting, too. Again, I'm expecting answers all over the map. This car really does seem to bridge typical boundaries.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I understand it as the Corolla is the daughter's car which is getting upgraded to a JSW. The Passat would replace the JSW.

When it comes to income, I tell people: Enough is enough; More is better.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've always said that it is not how much you make but how much is left over at the next pay check that matters.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Ages will be skewed due to the fact that most older folks do not use these forums.