2012 Passat road noise

MarkG

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, Metallic Gray/Black
Yes, they are EL400s. Not many favorable reviews on them at TireRack. I find them quiet but will watch to see how they wear, that seems to be the big compliant on them.

Funny you should mention having owned a hybrid, I traded in a Hybrid Silverado for my Passat. I miss the truck but doubled my gas mileage.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
My Toyo winter tires are quieter than the stock. But really, just turn the volume up on the radio and enjoy the ride. That's what I do for 600 miles per week.:D

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
245/45ZR18 on TDI SEL

I'm looking to replace the Hankooks on my B7 TDI SEL. I've noticed that the larger 245/45R18 tires are generally less expensive than 235/45ZR18 tires at the Tire Rack probably due to larger volume of applications.

Does anyone know if these will fit on the B7? It would be a win-win if they fit, a larger tire for less money....

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Sheesh!

How many threads do you need for you to bash the styling of the Passat? We get it, you don't like it, move on. Thanks for your constructive contribution to this thread and this forum in general. :rolleyes:
I agree with the 'move on' part of your comment!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I'm looking to replace the Hankooks on my B7 TDI SEL. I've noticed that the larger 245/45R18 tires are generally less expensive than 235/45ZR18 tires at the Tire Rack probably due to larger volume of applications.

Does anyone know if these will fit on the B7? It would be a win-win if they fit, a larger tire for less money....
I can't imagine that 5mm more on either side of the wheel would be problem, IMHO.
What about 225s?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Leave it to chevy...to fall, like a rock.
well....pretty economical for a pick up. Looks to me like Chevy is doing many things right. Sales are up, jobs are up, profits are up and I do believe that some of those profits are plowed back into YOUR local economy. yeah, we all love TDIs but please dont downplay the American renaissance in cars and trucks. It's good for the Canadian and USA economy and is helping lower unemployment. Is it perfect ? Nope. My 2 chevys have been perfect though and by the looks of it many americans are visiting GM showrooms by recent numbers. #1 in the world in Sales. #1 profitability in history. Not bad in tough economy. Fall like a rock? uuuhhhh.... maybe rise like a ROCK STAR. And the Diesel Cruze is coming next year....and may be a decent car.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with the 'move on' part of your comment!
Boy, the boys get all twisted when we make comments about their sweet ride dont they.....Hey I am the biggest defender of TDI Crs.....I just dont get the Passat....Sat in it yesterday at The Toronto Auto show and my feelings have not changed. Its a "great" value but feels ohhhh....so cheap compared to Golf, CC, EOS, Tiguan etc... (Jetta is in same league )....The doors feel tiny the trim feels lesser...lots of cheaper plastic... than other VWs of the past....but ...Hey I get it....cut it down and sell more....It's funny how the amarican manufacturers are contenting UP and the germans are contenting DOWN....just wish you could get a TDI in a new Cadillac ATS.....At the end of the day I am puzzled why VW would not spend 800 bucks more on the interior trim and sound deadening and sell a more complete package for 10 bucks more per month.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
How quickly we forget that 2 out of 3 'icons' needed a bailout (again for one) on your tax dollars, must be that greatness you are refering to. No, I will not consider either of them for that reason among others.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
+1. Prior to TDIs, every car I owned since a teen was a GM. I disagree with the bailout -- especially with making the union a MAJOR owner of GM. The 'icons' didn't need a bailout... They were not facing imminent failure with global repercussions. Yes, many jobs would have been lost, but only until biz restructuring and renegotiating fiscally-sensible union terms -- which we all know was the underlying bail-out focus. Goodbye Gummit Motors, hello Ford. Mark my word, the union's new influence will drive GM off a cliff in as little as 10-20 years (funny how history retreats itself). [/rant]

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
back on topic as much as I would argue the points above vehemently.....why did the Chatanooga plant not make this a quieter car? its not all tires....c'mon....a few hundred bucks more of insulation, thicker glass whatever it takes....guess that magic 19,995 price in the usa for a car nobody buys was just too irresistable.....here go the decontenters again....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Why didn't they make the Jetta Sedan and Golf quieter? The Golf has more road noise than it should, more than my MKIV, and it's from Germany. I really want to get better tires on it and see if it's tires or design/construction. May be the same with the Passat.

I think larger wheels and tires are partly to blame.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
How quickly we forget that 2 out of 3 'icons' needed a bailout (again for one) on your tax dollars, must be that greatness you are refering to. No, I will not consider either of them for that reason among others.
True Patriotic American.
LOL!

Sheesh your political colors show through again. They were LOANS not BAILOUTS, which they have/are repaying.

Wall Street got the BAILOUTS and NEVER have to pay it back.

Besides what about all those TAX benefits/discounts VW got From TN to move the plant there? Don't mention that... Hmmmm. VW subsidized by tax dollars too.

Last edited:

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Greatings! I wish my first post on this forum was in a different thread, but unfortunately it isn't. I realized hours after I ordered the new Passat on Saturday that it will likely be wearing the Hankook tires. I have a 15 month-old son, and I can't take the chance of sliding through a red light in snow, especially with the crazies around DC. I've sent a message to my dealer that we need to come to a tire-swap agreement before I take ownership of the car in 4-6 months. I'm not expecting them to offer me anything, but it will give me time to find some tires for them to mount.

TomB, my wife's from Fall City, and we're headed back your way in little over a year. Can't wait!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
True Patriotic American.
LOL!

Sheesh your political colors show through again. They were LOANS not BAILOUTS, which they have/are repaying.

Wall Street got the BAILOUTS and NEVER have to pay it back.

Besides what about all those TAX benefits/discounts VW got From TN to move the plant there? Don't mention that... Hmmmm. VW subsidized by tax dollars too.
Well I've got more American built cars in my garage than you;) Actually, my garage is full of US built cars right now, 3 of them. The VW is outside on timeout due to bad behavior.
Call them what you want, but at least Ford manned up and refused aid of any sort, because they didn't need the help.
How much subsidy does the Volt require to sell for 40k?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This kind of low-quality OEM tire isn't that unusual. Just a way to cut corners. Our '04 SAAB came with Pirelli P6s. Dreadful tires, as bad as our present Bridgestone Turanzas are great.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Greatings! I wish my first post on this forum was in a different thread, but unfortunately it isn't. I realized hours after I ordered the new Passat on Saturday that it will likely be wearing the Hankook tires. I have a 15 month-old son, and I can't take the chance of sliding through a red light in snow, especially with the crazies around DC. I've sent a message to my dealer that we need to come to a tire-swap agreement before I take ownership of the car in 4-6 months. I'm not expecting them to offer me anything, but it will give me time to find some tires for them to mount.

TomB, my wife's from Fall City, and we're headed back your way in little over a year. Can't wait!
Since your car's production is several months away, there may very well be different tires on the car...who knows?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
Why didn't they make the Jetta Sedan and Golf quieter? The Golf has more road noise than it should, more than my MKIV, and it's from Germany. I really want to get better tires on it and see if it's tires or design/construction. May be the same with the Passat.

I think larger wheels and tires are partly to blame.
good point....but i drive as many on here drive many cars....seems to me that VW does not have a major problem here...maybe a problem amongst fussy forum members....I just drove my golf 386 kms today on avaerage ontario roads with SNOWS on all 4 corners with the radio off and myself and passenger had an almost hushed conversation....bit of wind noise on cross winds on drivers side but nothing brutal. I think the challenge is that cars have become SOO good and soo refined that we hear every little thing. my quietst car on the road by far at 80mph? are ya ready? my new camaro SS.....virtually NO noise and absolutely NO cross wind noise of any kind....just that subtle exhaust drone but road and wind very hushed....no kidding.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
I saw at least 3 camaros at shop that did my audio system. They were all brand new and the owners had dropped it off for music system upgrades. Two of them were SS one was the bumble bee edition.
I can tell you these cars are built very tight, no vibrations what so ever. The kind of subwoofers this shop put in those cameros I think our VWs will just fall apart with that much bass.:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
good point....but i drive as many on here drive many cars....seems to me that VW does not have a major problem here...maybe a problem amongst fussy forum members....I just drove my golf 386 kms today on avaerage ontario roads with SNOWS on all 4 corners with the radio off and myself and passenger had an almost hushed conversation....bit of wind noise on cross winds on drivers side but nothing brutal. I think the challenge is that cars have become SOO good and soo refined that we hear every little thing.
Well, maybe. The engine on IBW is a lot louder than the '12, especially with the breathing mods I have. And there's no doubt the Golf is quieter overall. But the noise manifests itself in odd ways. I was driving out of Boston last Saturday and was in the left lane beside a Jersey barrier, and there was enough noise reflected into the car that I thought my window was down a bit. It wasn't. Maybe I wouldn't even have heard that in the wagon because of other noise.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
Talked with the dealer today about the tires to be on my Passat when it comes. She said they used to come with Continentals be then switched to Hankooks. Why, why, why? Anyway, I bought whatever tires VW decides to put on it, so to get my money's worth, I'm likely going to use them as summer tires and mount actual all-season tires for the winter. Whenever that happens, I'll be able to post the difference in noise between Hankook and likely Michelins on this forum.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Knarrly: Why all-seasons? The difference between all-season and dedicated snow tires is enormous. I plan to use the Hankooks as summer tires, will install dedicated snows next fall. I know we don't need them here, but any temp below 40f, the softer snow rubber is far superior to all-season!

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
Knarrly: Why all-seasons? The difference between all-season and dedicated snow tires is enormous. I plan to use the Hankooks as summer tires, will install dedicated snows next fall. I know we don't need them here, but any temp below 40f, the softer snow rubber is far superior to all-season!
I'm only going to do the summer-winter switch thing, because of the crappy tires vdub is giving me. Blizzaks and the like wear their tread out quickly, and from what I've read, so will the Hankooks. After that, I'll be on true all-season tires, that are just fine in the snow, year-round. I'm also a native of Minnesota, so I drive around the wimps here in DC as they crawl along the freeways in a light dusting. When we move to Washington State, they require chains in the mountains, so there's no need for snow tires.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

ALL-SEASON are NO SEASON tires. They are a compromise of all the types.

Best to have a summer performance and a winter specific set of each.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Road noise: I don't get to drive the Passat much, but took it out tonight, filled the tank, then went on a 45 mile cruise. 65-68mph, 48f ambient, moderate traffic, 52.8mpg.

Many different road surfaces, new asphalt, old grooved concrete, and I was surprised at how quiet the cabin was. Wind noise? Really? I couldn't hear any, and I'm a classical musician that values silence, and subtle sounds. I can't tolerate ambient noise of any kind.

So, until I've experienced noise/traction issues with the Hankooks, I'll have to say they're not all that bad...my opinion, of course.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Many different road surfaces, new asphalt, old grooved concrete, and I was surprised at how quiet the cabin was. Wind noise? Really? I couldn't hear any, and I'm a classical musician that values silence, and subtle sounds. I can't tolerate ambient noise of any kind.

So, until I've experienced noise/traction issues with the Hankooks, I'll have to say they're not all that bad...my opinion, of course
I agree, the Hankooks are only bad on really rough roads, then they sing loudly, other than that the car/tires are pretty darn quiet to my ears.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
My hankooks have been GREAT and I am not a big fan of OEM tires. wearing well and super quiet in my Golf. pumped up to 38-39 PSI.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
ALL-SEASON are NO SEASON tires. They are a compromise of all the types.

Best to have a summer performance and a winter specific set of each.
And it would be "best" if the other thousand compromises in any car were otherwise. The steel used in cars is not ideal, it's a compromise of cheapness, strength, flexibility resistance to metal fatigue, etc. Why not make cars of titanium and carbon fiber? Most materials in cars are calculated to only last a certain time. Given the lifespan of cars, why put extremely durable materials in the car and have to raise the price? Safety is a compromise. It's been known for a long time that if cars incorporated roll cages and five-point harnesses and were forced to wear Nomex suits like race drivers, a significant number of traffic fatalities could be prevented. I'm sure you can fill in the rest of the blanks for yourself. Do all these things and the sticker on a Passat would have as many digits as a Bugatti Veyron.