Q5 TDI Performance Upgrades

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI s-line. I’m have some performance upgrade questions.. I have a stage 2 tune and am getting a Rawtek 3” dpf/egr delete and stage 2+ tune in a couple weeks. I’m wondering if:

1) would a custom made catback (dual 2.5” straight pipe) mated with my 3” downpipe would provide more power than the stock catback (which has mufflers)? From my understanding/research, it will.

2) would that mod be worth doing some logging and sending it into Malone for a custom map over just having the generic stage 2+?

3) would it be worth getting a bigger FMIC (darkside) with the mods I’ve listed? Worth it to me means ~ 10hp / 15tq or increased mpg/reliability in this senario.

Any data-supported responses would be fantastic. Anyone with tuning knowledge is welcome to chime in. I also ask that if you’re going to respond to my post, be nice. Cheers

-Deeds

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Log the IAT before deciding a bigger FMIC is worth it. It'll all depend on you're driving style, tracking it vs quick highway runs?

I've only hit the EGT limit on our Passat when behaving stupid and keeping up with a Merc squeezing 80-100mph climbing a decent hill. Every other time, we just drive it with a quick gooses before i notice the speed limit and EGTs are well under the safety limit.

My understanding is you'll be EGT limited, and a FMIC will help keep EGTs down on longer pulls, but not really add that much power to the top end. Kinda the same with doing a straight pipe. I think you'd notice more gains if you combined those upgrades with a larger turbo.

I've never driven a 3.0t nor tuned it, just experience with the 2.0 CRs. Others may know more.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
All i can say is you are wasting money on things you dont need.
You need a dpf delete (downpipe, about 200 euro) a big pump and turbo to go 370+hp
And a good tune

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
roughly 1% power increase per 10f decrease in IAT typically, these motors don't run that hot and the stock IC is fine. EGTs are your main concern for power limiting, you won't gain power from an intake or catback exhaust.

tune + deletes then hybrid turbo, pump and associated mods would be the best route.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everyone! Owain, I’m glad you responded to this thread! So my bigger question would be: what supporting mods?

I’m already getting the dpf/egr delete in a few weeks at PG Performance in Surrey.

Research tells me that baffled-muffler deletes (essebtially straight piped exhaust) yields power gains. I’m only asking for data driven results and the only proof I’ve found from removing mufflers (or getting a straight pipe exhaust) will yield more power.. not sure if anyone has seen this but check this out:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNGcz4hMy3I

Ultimately, id like to get the most power out of the 3.0 engine while still having a reliable car (please save the “should’ve kept it stock then” speech). I realize you can only go so far before having to buy new injectors, turbo, and IC. Sooo... are these 3.0 diesels good for 150k+ miles (Car currently has 49k miles) on aftermarket injectors, turbo, and IC? I won’t be quarter miling it or launching it a ton, maaaayyybe track it on a road course and get on it on the freeway here and there. I’m a 31yr old dad who loves to go on road trips with my family (hence the diesel sub for the mileage) but would still like to have a fast suv..

Soooo- I just need someone who knows their stuff pretty well to give me some reliable setup options with estimated power output and while still having the reliability factor.. please help!

-Deeds

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
3.0 is reliable at 450hp without problems if made correct.
Consider my 3.0 Q5 is faster than the latest 4.0 tdi SQ7 rated at 435hp big lol , and i use it daily + long trips.
When you drive it normally as civilized person ..you are not putting any extra stress on the engine compared to stock. Remember that.

Bobby has done 40k on his 450hp engine and still working ok he said.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
So for a turbo upgrade, would these items be considered safe and reliable? Daily driver, road trips, freeway pulls here and there.

1. gtb2566vk hybrid turbo
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...6vk-billet-hybrid-with-vacuum-conversion.html

2. Bigger darkside intercooler:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...mic-for-2-0-2-7-3-0-tdi-audi-b8-platform.html

3. Straight through custom exhaust.

4. Malone tune
Any other supporting mods for that setup besides

Final question... Would those mods be reliable for 100k miles? Car will be pampered and maintenanced on schedule.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
For turbo go for the AVD 2565 with light weight turbine wheel, i use it with great success. Much cheaper than the one you listed.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
So for a turbo upgrade, would these items be considered safe and reliable? Daily driver, road trips, freeway pulls here and there.

1. gtb2566vk hybrid turbo
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...6vk-billet-hybrid-with-vacuum-conversion.html

2. Bigger darkside intercooler:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...mic-for-2-0-2-7-3-0-tdi-audi-b8-platform.html

3. Straight through custom exhaust.

4. Malone tune
Any other supporting mods for that setup besides

Final question... Would those mods be reliable for 100k miles? Car will be pampered and maintenanced on schedule.
You can't really talk about hybrid turbos and reliability at the same sentence. Making a hybrid with low efficiency wheels significantly adds turbos shaft power.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
You can't really talk about hybrid turbos and reliability at the same sentence. Making a hybrid with low efficiency wheels significantly adds turbos shaft power.
I'm glad you mentioned this! Power wise, what would a comparable turbo to the hybrid 2566vk that I mentioned be that is also reliable? I'm just looking for some people to shout out some turbo + intercooler options that would make good power (350-380) and also have the reliability component.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
DieselDeeds,
I have no experience whatsover with the Q5, but intercooler? Why?
Its a bit like "cold air intakes", lots of marketing and hype for very little return. A turbo and tune should be the first priority IMO.

Read this thread on intercooler "upgrades".

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495726

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand. I appreciate the advice and those are the things I need to hear. That’s why I’m looking for someone who can tell me a safe upgrade template for ~ 350-380hp.

Deeds

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
I would use S200V based hybrid. CW rpm should be matched to be close to original S200V CW. Better charge air cooler is a good upgrade if intake manifold temperature or original CAC's mechanical strength becomes a problem. Efficient CW helps to keep IAT in decent limits.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Why a normal person aspiring to do 350-380hp would go that route is beyond my understanding. (s200 i mean)
Hybrid is plug and play, doesnt require machining, modifying or anything else involved with a turbo swap like bw s200.
Hybrid is strong enough for 420-430 at the limit, so doing 350-380 is piece of cake.
Keep it simple. I showed you what works nice and its pretty damn reliable, doesnt cost a fortune.

I use it at 2.4 bar , smokeless with low egt during hard pulls

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
keep in mind, the guys in Europe are all talking about Euro4/5 (or even 6) cars

Much simpler and straightforward compared to USA-market Bin5

Not even close to the same

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Why a normal person aspiring to do 350-380hp would go that route is beyond my understanding. (s200 i mean)
Hybrid is plug and play, doesnt require machining, modifying or anything else involved with a turbo swap like bw s200.
Hybrid is strong enough for 420-430 at the limit, so doing 350-380 is piece of cake.
Keep it simple. I showed you what works nice and its pretty damn reliable, doesnt cost a fortune.
I use it at 2.4 bar , smokeless with low egt during hard pulls
How many kilometers you have driven with your hybrid for validation of reliability? I have one 200k driven stock gtb-series turbo from stock car and bearing clearances are already at the limits. I know this is not even very uncommon wear in particular application.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Done 27k so far and i dont have doubts ill reach 200k without any issues if i keep the car that long.
A good well made hybrid will last a long time if tuned well without pushing it to the limit.
Egt is low and we use genuine garrett parts.

Big swap turbo on street car of this kind is really nonsense. Too much trouble and its not for everyone to modify and adjust actuator so it actually works.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
This is a similar Q5 just like mine but the owner is a little more crazy. He will push further in a few days.
Setup is similar: cp3 upgrade, gtb2565 turbo, exhaust, IC, dsg remap

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
Hi, are there kits for T3 Touareg 3.0TDI?
I would be interested in a CP3 kit for my CNRB Touareg.

Thank you

Ron Parkerson

TDI
Q5 2016
All i can say is you are wasting money on things you dont need.
You need a dpf delete (downpipe, about 200 euro) a big pump and turbo to go 370+hp
And a good tune
Just bought 2016 q5 tdi and I have been reading to see what I can do to make it more hp and mpg. You have alot of good Info. Turning it into off road so going with Malone tune. I am looking for the exhaust side can't find anything under 1k any ideas on cat and def replacement. Thanks

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
On the new engine 272hp we did 399hp with my hybrid setup on this car , gtd2060 upgraded to 2565 , DPF on.
Would of been better without DPF, less stress on turbo