Replacing bulbs in the MK7

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Anyone have a DIY instruction/ video on how to replace the front headlight and DRL bulbs in a 2015 GSW NON lighting pkg? I searched for info with no luck, all I can find is info on replacing the entire housing.
Thanks

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
:p Yes, didn't know it was this easy ;)

Just replaced all 4 bulbs with really great results, will test them tonight and post some pictures later.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
two H7's and H15 is the best for non lighting pkg cars in my own opinion.
Color is one thing...but output on the road is another. If you are looking for a white/blue light, I would agree with your statement, but if you are looking for max output of light on the road, I would disagree with your statement, and Phillips own literature backs that up. The coating required (because "gas" inside the bulb is for marketing) to give you the color reduces the overall light output of the bulbs.

http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12972DVB1/diamondvision-halogen/specifications

http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12972XVS2/x-tremevision-car-headlight-bulb/specifications
Marketing specifications

Expected benefits
More light
Product highlight
100% more light
Marketing specifications for H7 diamond:

Expected benefits
Ultimate white light
Product highlight
Now the Osram Rallye

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Comes in @ 2100 lumens....or 125% more light output

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Now the Osram Rallye

Comes in @ 2100 lumens....or 125% more light output
That's what I use, but they can only be used in the low-beam positions (H7). The high-beams are dual-filament H15 with a low-output filament for the DRLs. I know of no aftermarket replacements for these. They may be unique to VW.

They are good, not HIDs, but better than stock. Light output matters more than colour especially in wet weather where the blue coating on the "whiter" bulbs actually reduce performance significantly.

My biggest beef at the moment is that the high-beams are aimed too low. When the low beams are right, the high beams don't aim high enough to make much difference. Adjust the lights for the high beams to be OK and the lows are too high and bother oncoming traffic.

On my Mk VI there was a small 5/32s hex screw behind a small cover that could adjust the high beams independently from the lows. I have yet to find something similar on the Mk VII. Anybody else have better luck than I? I used to hate the lights on my Mk VI for the same problem until I found that little screw that made all the difference in the world (and I did the same to my wife's wagon). I'd like to make the same adjustment on my Mk VII.

peq

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S 6M
I'm also interested in both questions.
1) What bulbs to buy? I'm *specifically* interested in the low beam bulbs. From above comments, sounds like one option is:
(what store is that? what's up with "discontinued"?)
Is this another option?
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tr...=UTF8&qid=1549420635&sr=8-1&keywords=VOSLA+H7 (amazon says it doesn't fit 2015 GSW, why?)
In general, are we looking just for H7 or what are the other specs?
2) How to install them? Understand it's easy. Is there a video or some instructions?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Discontinued means they don't make them anymore. Yes just h7 for the low beams. They are super easy to replace, just pop the hood, remove the rubber cap on the low beam housing, reach in and twist the tab on the bulb holder counterclockwise and it comes right out. The blue coated bulbs are marketing nonsense and have reduced output and lifespan.

peq

TDI
From what I read the driver side is much tighter.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Those Phillips bulbs are probably pretty good. The Voshla? bulbs look quite good too. You give up a lot of longevity to get a small boost in output over the factory ultra long life bulbs, but they are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

dpcass90

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI SEL DSG
@PEG. Let me know how those bulbs you ordered turned out. Just bought a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL. I ordered 4 of those from the same place to replace my high and low beams. Multiple threads seemed to recommend them as an alternative to the discontinued OSRAMs.

peq

TDI
@dpcass90 they seem to be good, I didn't really compare them with the original though, I just replaced both bulbs (one that had burned the other which was still good) during the day and didn't conduct any tests. I can't say I'm paying that much attention to tell the difference.

Since I still have one of the originals, I can maybe conduct a comparison test one day, although I don't feel like messing with it too much.

The installation was indeed super easy on the passenger side and tricky but doable on the driver side. People with big hands would probably need to get help by someone else or maybe some sort of tool.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I replaced mine with the ZXE's shortly after I bought it. I bought some led ones off ebay, but didn't like how they fit. Right side is simple to replace, left side is another story. A real tight motherf**ker to get your hand in there and find the right way to insert bulb in housing. I ended up with cuts on hand and raised blood pressure afterwards;)...any videos or tips for driver side?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I replaced mine with the ZXE's shortly after I bought it. I bought some led ones off ebay, but didn't like how they fit. Right side is simple to replace, left side is another story. A real tight motherf**ker to get your hand in there and find the right way to insert bulb in housing. I ended up with cuts on hand and raised blood pressure afterwards;)...any videos or tips for driver side?
Removing the adjacent rubber cap gives you a tiny bit more room, but moving the fuse/relay box gives significantly more. This involves snapping the ECU out of its frame to access the two screws securing the fuse/relay box which can then be moved/re-angled to gain clearance.

BTW, I just installed the latest version of Osram Night Breaker Laser (Next Generation) and all I can say is: very impressive light output for a 55-watt bulb. Probably not a good choice if you do a lot of night driving because lifespan is inversely proportional to the significantly increased performance.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I ordered these h7's from amazon for my mk5 in November 2016 - probably lasted about 20 months... I thought they were brighter than the stock ones I replaced, and my headlamp lens were clear. 20 months was about 55000km driving for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Visio...-968-3159--18-6-5-20090-1355-1-1---4-0&sr=1-2

I may order them for my 'new' 15 golf TDI, as I would like a little more light output, and they are cheap too....

I think halogens typically loose light output as they age as well...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ehhh, jinxed myself. Of course you know which side went out when I turned lights on Monday night after work:mad::mad::mad:. Guess I'll try to find the cheapest ZXE's at a store, don't feel like waiting for them in mail....