2015 Passat TDI Oil Capacity

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
Just took my TDI back to the dealer for routine oil change and noticed on the repair ticket 7.0 quarts of oil. When I called him out on it he said they did over fill it "a little" and would bring it back to 5.8 quarts. According to my owners manual it's 4.5 quarts. I know 7.0 isn't correct, but is it 4.5 or 5.8?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
5.8 is the correct amount, 2015 manuals incorrectly show the 2012-2014 CKRA engine oil requirements

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
5.8 is the correct amount, 2015 manuals incorrectly show the 2012-2014 CKRA engine oil requirements
Thanks...much appreciated. I just called VW customer care...they said they were not aware of the misprint.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Just took my TDI back to the dealer for routine oil change and noticed on the repair ticket 7.0 quarts of oil. When I called him out on it he said they did over fill it "a little" and would bring it back to 5.8 quarts. According to my owners manual it's 4.5 quarts. I know 7.0 isn't correct, but is it 4.5 or 5.8?
Who cares what it says? Check the dipstick,

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Who cares what it says? Check the dipstick,
That's the best advice - lots of dealers and independents get hung up on the differences between liters and quarts too. I've seen plenty of customers point out that someone read the manual (which in this case is probably wrong) and put in "X" liters thinking they were doing quarts. Most of the oil purchased for these cars comes in liter containers, you'd think that a dealer could figure things out...

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Same thing happened to me. I checked the dipstick when I stopped for fuel a mile or so away from home and noticed it was overfilled. Called the service dept. and let them know I'd be coming back to have them drain some out.

On the way there, received a message: "Oil Change Needed! Service Vehicle."

I know the service intervals had been reset because the dates and mileage amounts were changed. I then reset it myself anyway. No dice. Once they dropped the oil amount down and reset it again, no issues.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
So now I am confused....my 2012 manual also says 4.5 quarts of oil. Are we saying that VW has been misprinting the oil capacity since 2012 in the owners manual and has not sent out notification to the owners?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
No the 2012 is 4.5 only the new engine is 5.8

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
So now I am confused....my 2012 manual also says 4.5 quarts of oil. Are we saying that VW has been misprinting the oil capacity since 2012 in the owners manual and has not sent out notification to the owners?
VW changed to a new engine (the EA 288) in 2015.

The people in the manual division forgot to change the line specifying oil capacity.

Therefore, the 2015 manuals still read 4.5l, whereas the true capacity for the EA288 is 5.8 l.

It's all just a failure to update the manual.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
VW changed to a new engine (the EA 288) in 2015.
The people in the manual division forgot to change the line specifying oil capacity.
Therefore, the 2015 manuals still read 4.5l, whereas the true capacity for the EA288 is 5.8 l.
It's all just a failure to update the manual.

Yes I went through this when I purchased my 2015 in March. However as soon as I got home from the dealer upon buying it I check everything under the hood and the oil barely showed on the bottom of the dipstick. I added the litre I got at the dealer before I left and it took it up to just over 3/4 to the full mark on the dipstick. So in addition to my manual being wrong it appears that my car had been filled with 4.5 from the factory.
I told the dealer about it and they replaced the oil I used to top it off.
At the 1st free oil change I reminded them about the 5.8 needed for a change and they said yeah they remembered me. Lol