Window Tint: Ceramic vs. Non Ceramic

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL

Sticker looks to be to far to left but infact isn't.

Next to finger you can see a darker line in the tint. That is physical walling of 3rd light

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
From up close I can see what you are saying, but from a few feet behind the car I don't think it would be obvious at all . Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
It's your car, only person that has to be happy with it is you. You paid for the tint to be installed and if you are not happy with it, let em know. They may offer to redo the rear window or they may offer you a discount or refund instead. Point is, you wont know until you ask. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

ok so i know im picky but i found a flaw in my tint that i want to ask everyone if i should just ignore because im being too picky.

its hard to tell, but in the first pic you can see that they cut out the area for the 3rd brake light. well, the right side cut is perfectly aligned with the direction of the 3rd brake light. however the left side the tint comes in about a 1/2 into the brake light area. if that makes sense to anyone.

i noticed this because i have a sticker that was positioned center on the brake light, i noticed the sticker looked like it was not centered, but it was due to the curve of the tint actually coming to the inside area of the light.

should i just ignore this?

tdi15

TDI
not yet
what about visor strip

While talking about the tinted windows, what do you think of a visor strip on your windshield? It cost about $25. Yes or no to the strip?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Sold the 2014 back to VW in Jan of 2018 and it was crushed in June, posts 109 & 113.

I tinted my 2015 with the same brands, Llumar for the tint and Xpel Ultimate paint protection film. For the tint I moved up a tier and had the Llumar Stratos Series 35 Hybrid-Matrix. Again, the photos only show a lot of reflection of the house and trees.

:)

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
My government "representatives" decided that car window tint must allow at least 70% of light through in NY State, so having window tint is basically non-beneficial around here. :mad:
I'm not sure how we got along fine for over 200 years without all these regulations!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
roni024...ugh...simple...Horse carriages didn't need window tinting...!
Police sorta kinda prefer being able to see into vehicles. Makes them nervous when they can't.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Police sorta kinda prefer being able to see into vehicles. Makes them nervous when they can't.
A few times, when I would happen to be driving in an urban area, LEOs would roll up along side me and give me a quick look to determine if they could see me. When they did and realized my tint wasn't too dark and it was a middle aged white guy driving they would ignore me.

:rolleyes:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My government "representatives" decided that car window tint must allow at least 70% of light through in NY State, so having window tint is basically non-beneficial around here. :mad:
I'm not sure how we got along fine for over 200 years without all these regulations!
Horse and buggies did not have the need for window tinting as mentioned before!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even with legal tint on all my cars, I advise my kids to ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS ALL AROUND if they ever get stopped. Police have enough stress w/o having to deal with the unknown behind dark windows.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Even with legal tint on all my cars, I advise my kids to ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS ALL AROUND if they ever get stopped. Police have enough stress w/o having to deal with the unknown behind dark windows.

+1.

Also, both hands on top of the steering wheel on the walk-up is a good move, and if you can already have license and registration ready and are polite and non-argumentative, you greatly increase your chance of a warning only.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
+1.

Also, both hands on top of the steering wheel on the walk-up is a good move, and if you can already have license and registration ready and are polite and non-argumentative, you greatly increase your chance of a warning only.
Agreed, however, I don't want a cop to see me reaching over into the glovebox for documentation.
Fortunately, I'm such a stellar citizen, I've only been stopped 4 times in 45+ years of driving.